Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Craft Beer Release 2016

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Maximus showing stock now. Wonder what the bottle date is..

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

No brew date, but there is an expiry of 21 Jan 2017 on the neck of the bottle. Tastes pretty damned solid, but I'm definitely sure this is at least 1 month old if not two (I'm assuming 12 month date?).

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I had one yesterday. The low bitterness helps but it has that classic american malt profile, hides the ABV really well.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Wonder why they have the cuvee rene marked at $6.95 on their list.. it is $4.95 at the store. Might want to take advantage while we can..
spinrsx wrote:Here is the list

nickw

Post by nickw »

Napalm Frog wrote:No brew date, but there is an expiry of 21 Jan 2017 on the neck of the bottle. Tastes pretty damned solid, but I'm definitely sure this is at least 1 month old if not two (I'm assuming 12 month date?).
I asked Lagunitas about their date codes via Twitter this week, and got the response:

"For our beers in Canada we use Date/Month/Year/Brewery stamping. so, 21st of January, 2017 and (1=Petaluma, 2=Chicago). Cheers!"

I followed up asking for clarification on when the brew date itself was (American Lagunitas bottles have a "brewed on" code) but received no response. Without knowing what they consider the "shelf life" of a Maximus is (and I haven't figured it out via the internet), there is no real way of knowing when it was actually brewed? Maybe I'm overthinking this, though...

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:Wonder why they have the cuvee rene marked at $6.95 on their list.. it is $4.95 at the store. Might want to take advantage while we can..
with "distribution" limited to 5 downtown Toronto stores, one Ottawa, and one Welland store, not many will be able to "take advantage" :wink:
@markhamwhisky

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

portwood wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Wonder why they have the cuvee rene marked at $6.95 on their list.. it is $4.95 at the store. Might want to take advantage while we can..
with "distribution" limited to 5 downtown Toronto stores, one Ottawa, and one Welland store, not many will be able to "take advantage" :wink:
This is just rolling out....it will be everywhere.

Usually, the initial price seems to be a placeholder....not the actual price necessarily. Website has the new price.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Had the Cuvee from the Welland store 2 nights ago. It was great but I wonder how much of the cost of the beer goes into the crazy thick and heavy bottles they are in.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

531 bottles of the cuvee rene all at 1 location in ottawa..

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

I like the Lindemans Cuvee Rene much more than the Boon Mariage Parfait Gueuze and the St. Louis Fond Tradition. It's not in the same class as Cantillon or 3F, but for this price its a steal.

Right now, Cuvee Rene is tart and refreshing, but is quite immature. I have 6 bottles in the cellar to age but I doubt I will be able to resist opening them during the summer.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

red racer imperial ipa stock at meadowvale is prod. dec 3 2015 *walks away*

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Sigh.
kevinlater wrote:red racer imperial ipa stock at meadowvale is prod. dec 3 2015 *walks away*

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

kevinlater wrote:red racer imperial ipa stock at meadowvale is prod. dec 3 2015 *walks away*
This makes me sad.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

CoolB wrote:
This makes me sad.
Me too, and the fact that I bought one without looking at the date. I was too excited about all the Cuvee Rene I was scoring.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

What's the cellar life of the Cuvee René? At only 5.5%Abv, is it worth grabbing a few years worth or should I just plan for summer consumption?