Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rainhard Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

If you guys need an occasion to motivate you to make the trip to Rainhard we're running our 7th Annual Learn 2 Brew event on Saturday November 7th at Rainhard Brewery. Ontario's best new brewery according to Golden Tap Awards.

Posted it in the bartowel events: http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10386
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

BeboThoughts

Post by BeboThoughts »

I've tried their stout and one of the IPAs and I'm impressed so far. They really seem to be starting off in the right direction.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Nosbeeratu Black IPA returns to the bottle shop this weekend.

Beau's/Jordan Rainhard's Le Coeur Noir Black IPA will be back the LCBO soon as well. Here's your chance to try two black IPAs from the same brewer.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

From their Instagram...
Our Bottle Shop will OPEN EARLY on Friday at 11am.
Look out for these new ones in the Brewery Bottle Shop, Tap Room, and select bars around Toronto:
- Broggen Dreams - German Rye Lager (brewed collaboratively with Beau's All Natural Brewing Co.
- Neon Wasteland - Belgian Pale Ale (Hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops)
- Hearts Collide Russian Imperial Stout

zane9

Post by zane9 »

This is not a review but just a short commentary on the brewery. We had our first, and really pleasant visit to Rainhard on Good Friday. We drove in from Hamilton, so getting to the brewery was straightforward. I think it would be a little trickier to get there by TTC.

Very much a relaxed atmosphere, with lots of people enjoying the afternoon. Many of them had been brewery-touring in the area.

We liked the uncomplicated layout: the wide-open brewhouse, and the simple and attractive tasting bar.

We shared a flight ($10): Broggen Dreams, Neon Wasteland, Armed 'N Citra, Kapow! I enjoyed them all, and my partner (pretty much a non-beer drinker) especially liked Neon Wasteland.

Currently available at the tasting bar (in addition to the above): Sweetback's Milk Stout; Nosbeeratu Black IPA, Hearts Collide Imperial Stout, Dancing with the Devil Imp Schwarzbier, Vinyl Tap Lager.

We bought bottles of Neon, Armed, and Kapow. Then we were off to a Good Friday dinner with friends.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

zane9 wrote:I think it would be a little trickier to get there by TTC.
The 71A Runnymede bus will leave you with a six-block walk up Symes.

cirriform

Post by cirriform »

TwoPint wrote:
zane9 wrote:I think it would be a little trickier to get there by TTC.
The 71A Runnymede bus will leave you with a six-block walk up Symes.
Yes, and six blocks aren't really six blocks, it's about 300 m from the Cobalt/Symes stop on St. Clair. The pedestrian/bike shortcut from St. Clair is one that the brewery should feature on its website (bike because it will save you from tire blowouts on worst road candidate Glen Scarlett).

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Just had the Broggen Dreams rye lager. It was super weird and overly malty. I was pretty excited for it, and I think it's probably the worst beer I've had from Rainhard. Anyone else try it?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Haven't had that one yet...good to see them trying a lot of different brews, I guess you can expect a few misses along the way!

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

New double IPA available today, Hop Cone Syndrome. Sounds tasty, might have to make the trip out there tonight to try it.

DerekHarrison

Post by DerekHarrison »

Hey folks,

We've got a couple of things going on at Rainhard this weekend. Saturday night Crown & Anchor is going to set up a pop-up shop with smoked brisket and smoked ribs at the brewery, from 4 - 8pm. Then on Sunday we'll be releasing a one-off IPA, Crazy Gnomes, which is a Lazy Bones base finished and dry-hopped with Chinook. We're also going to have, from noon to 4pm, the Food Dudes food truck at the brewery and live jazz from the Michael Herring Boogaloo Band.

More info here:
http://rainhardbrewing.com/when-the-hea ... ewery-etc/

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

man i really liked Broggen Dreams

DerekHarrison

Post by DerekHarrison »

Sweetback's, our OBA Gold Medal winning stout, is back in the bottle shop and on tap tomorrow.

DerekHarrison

Post by DerekHarrison »

Hey folks. We've got a pretty cool event happening this Saturday - 6 casks, 3 of our own and 3 guests, are getting tapped at 3pm and pouring until they run out. We'll also have food on site from Young Animal, serving Trinidadian doubles and sausage with coleslaw and a spicy mayo.

Casks pouring:
1. Rainhard - KaPeach! (Kapow IPA aged on Ontario peaches)
2. Rainhard - Bloom (Blueberry Brett Saison)
3. Rainhard - Sweetback's Milk Stout
4. Junction - Hughey's Gold
5. Muddy York - Best Bitter
6. Revel - Lemon Meringue Dry Cider

FB event:

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Been really impressed with Rainhard. Had a few offerings when they first opened and thought they were good, but nothing really special. They've improved their recipes/process greatly since then, pretty much everything i've had is great.