Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

jeremyg wrote:weird, i'd say grandma's boy is one of my all time faves from bellwoods
Hands down the all-time fave. I had it when it made a reappearance on tap a couple months ago. I'm still kicking myself for not having more. Bit nervous about them rebranding it as a farmhouse...

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

jeremyg wrote:weird, i'd say grandma's boy is one of my all time faves from bellwoods
Ya, it's up there for me as well.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

just noticed donkey venom is on tap right now. wonder if there's a bottle release coming soon..?

also, mosaic monogamy is out today.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/for-fools-day/

Double Jutsu and Barn Owl 3 to be released tomorrow. My wallet!

Had Barn Owl 3 at Cask Days and thought it was great. Hopefully the additional time in barrels and bottles has soured it up a bit.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

yeah barn owl 3 was a highlight of cask days for me. excited to get it in bottle form.

double jutsu sounds delicious as well. huge regular jutsu fan.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Double Jutsu sounds quite intriguing...if it's as smooth and juicy as regular Jutsu, that could be a dangerous brew! I've always enjoyed the Barn Owl releases, although they're not a favourite of mine. Hard to generalize like that I guess since they're all meant to be quite different.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

El Pinguino wrote:Double Jutsu sounds quite intriguing...if it's as smooth and juicy as regular Jutsu, that could be a dangerous brew! I've always enjoyed the Barn Owl releases, although they're not a favourite of mine. Hard to generalize like that I guess since they're all meant to be quite different.
the second barn owl was good, not great. the first was honestly one of my favorite beers by them and has aged wonderfully. cracked open a bottle a couple months ago and was even more impressed.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

jeremyg wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:Double Jutsu sounds quite intriguing...if it's as smooth and juicy as regular Jutsu, that could be a dangerous brew! I've always enjoyed the Barn Owl releases, although they're not a favourite of mine. Hard to generalize like that I guess since they're all meant to be quite different.
the second barn owl was good, not great. the first was honestly one of my favorite beers by them and has aged wonderfully. cracked open a bottle a couple months ago and was even more impressed.
Barn Owl 1 seems to be pretty polarizing. People I've talked to either love it or hate the ginger. I agree with you, one of the best beers I've ever had and it aged beautifully. Always trying to trade for more.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I only had Barn Owl 1 when it first came out, and then a short time after. I didn't like it as much the second time....probably from that ginger taste you mention.
Maybe with a year or two of aging I'd like them more. Will test that out with Owl 3.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I have been cleaning up the cellar so as to better keep track of what I have, and I found a couple bottles of Farmageddon Batch 8 (May 2015) that got lost in the mess. I've never sat on any of this for this long before. Before I crack one open, I was wondering what experience people have had aging this beer, and whether it might be a good idea to even leave it a little longer. Thanks.

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

Coronaeus wrote:I have been cleaning up the cellar so as to better keep track of what I have, and I found a couple bottles of Farmageddon Batch 8 (May 2015) that got lost in the mess. I've never sat on any of this for this long before. Before I crack one open, I was wondering what experience people have had aging this beer, and whether it might be a good idea to even leave it a little longer. Thanks.
It's terrible at that age. Please send to me for prompt disposal. /terriblejoke

Sorry, mine has never survived more than a couple weeks. Good luck!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

cheechonaleash wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:I have been cleaning up the cellar so as to better keep track of what I have, and I found a couple bottles of Farmageddon Batch 8 (May 2015) that got lost in the mess. I've never sat on any of this for this long before. Before I crack one open, I was wondering what experience people have had aging this beer, and whether it might be a good idea to even leave it a little longer. Thanks.
It's terrible at that age. Please send to me for prompt disposal. /terriblejoke

Sorry, mine has never survived more than a couple weeks. Good luck!
The farms tend to do well with some time on them....can always check Untappd....take some comments with a grain of salt, but seems to be drinking well.
https://untappd.com/b/bellwoods-brewery ... -8/1082243

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Thanks for the replies. I usually finish it up pretty quickly too. But, sometimes a little accidental aging pays off.

Cheers.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Coronaeus wrote:Thanks for the replies. I usually finish it up pretty quickly too. But, sometimes a little accidental aging pays off.

Cheers.
You are very right. I recently found a bottle of Batch 9 hiding in the back of my fridge. The extra two months made it considerably more complex and enjoyable. Now I'm convinced I should age all of the Farmageddon I have a lot longer. Would be interested in hearing what you think about your Batch 8.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I always enjoy the farms fresh rather than aged. I personally like the fresh brett taste they have.