Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Winter is Coming wrote: I recently picked up one of their newly canned Maple Porters and something was definitely off. There was absolutely ZERO maple to this canned version, as well as a strong boozy/chemical undertone which I wouldn't expect off of a 6.0 % porter. It was almost a drain pour....almost.
The maple porter has never been one of their better beers. I didn't get much booze or any off-flavours from the can I had last night, but I would still agree that there seems to be a distinct lack of maple flavour in this season's batch. Perhaps the 300% drop in price isn't solely due to the format change - maybe they changed the recipe and put less maple syrup into it this time around.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

jeremyg wrote:I've never really understood the love affair with NB, specifically NN and Headstock, but Immodest is definitely fantastic. Can't recommend enough.
sofakingdrunk wrote:^^^id agree with that comment on the headstock, I've never really loved it as much as others seem to.
Man, and here I think that fresh cans of Headstock are the best deal at the LCBO by a long shot.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

darmokandjalad wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote: There was absolutely ZERO maple to this canned version, as well as a strong boozy/chemical undertone...
I would still agree that there seems to be a distinct lack of maple flavour in this season's batch.
I've never tasted previous batches but I could clearly taste/smell the maple in my cans. The sweetness can come off as boozy/artificial. Not a great beer but I enjoyed it. I wrote a review here if anyone is interested: https://beerstodiscover.wordpress.com/2 ... le-porter/

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

This canning of the Maple porter flat out sucks.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

beerman80

Post by beerman80 »

I definitely agree that this years maple porter canned is not as good as the previous years batches. I find it to be inconsistent, the first can I had tasted kinda boozy/tin taste 2 it, but then I had another a couple days later and did not get the boozy/tin taste at all but more maple.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

beerman80 wrote:I definitely agree that this years maple porter canned is not as good as the previous years batches. I find it to be inconsistent, the first can I had tasted kinda boozy/tin taste 2 it, but then I had another a couple days later and did not get the boozy/tin taste at all but more maple.
The Maple Porter is one of few "meh" beers that Nickel Brook Brews. It's unfortunate as the rest of their dark beers are exceptional.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Does anybody know if there will be another shipment of immodest, or is this fairly limited release(store-wise) all?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Does anybody know if there will be another shipment of immodest, or is this fairly limited release(store-wise) all?
I believe there will be another shipment. The beer person at the lcbo I usually go to says she has ordered it for me but they are waiting for the next shipment.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Malevolent looks like it's back in the brewery retail store, according to their Facebook page.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

CoolB wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Does anybody know if there will be another shipment of immodest, or is this fairly limited release(store-wise) all?
I believe there will be another shipment. The beer person at the lcbo I usually go to says she has ordered it for me but they are waiting for the next shipment.

Cool, thx

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

walz22 wrote:Malevolent looks like it's back in the brewery retail store, according to their Facebook page.
Malevolent was canned on Wed, April 6 and is available at the brewery. It will not be going to the LCBO.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Lab Series 3: Uncommon Element (Brett PA) is in 375 ml bottles at the brewery.

Haven't cracked one yet, but the label says hopped with Hallertau Blanc (neat-o!) and Mosaic.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Uber and Raspberry Uber are back in the retail store (375ml bottles), with the latter hitting the LCBO sometime soon.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I believe I tried the Immodest IIPA at boxcar social yesterday, incredible aroma even when it was just being poured. Nice spot just off on Boulton Ave, in the flourishing Queen and Broadview district.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:I believe I tried the Immodest IIPA at boxcar social yesterday, incredible aroma even when it was just being poured. Nice spot just off on Boulton Ave, in the flourishing Queen and Broadview district.
Have they fixed their pricing? I went in shortly after they opened and they were essentially charging full-pint prices for half-pint servings. Which was a shame, because otherwise I liked the place.