Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Because Mill Street has such a long, storied history of consistently producing excellent IPAs.
Not relevant. If someone is curious about a beer, they don't need to be criticized for it. Disagreeing with others opinions is fine, but disrespectfully shooting them down is not.

that's a legitimate poke at Beaumont's review. as you (hopefully?) know, the current US trend is to make muddled, hazy-as-hell IPAs. hopjuice that also used flaked oats/wheat/rye or raw wheat in the brewing process. a beer's turbidity should not be a critique for an IPA or IIPA. not sure why Beaumont, an accomplished beer dude, mentioned that. muddled hop taste? sure, legit. haze? who really cares.

not sure why you get your back up when a poster says something honest and legit instead of fluff and sprinkles. relax and stop policing the boards, please and thanks.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Because Mill Street has such a long, storied history of consistently producing excellent IPAs.
Not relevant. If someone is curious about a beer, they don't need to be criticized for it. Disagreeing with others opinions is fine, but disrespectfully shooting them down is not.
Um, the only group being criticized in my post was Mill Street, and the fact that they are unable to produce quality IPAs would seem to be kind of relevant to a discussion concerning their new IPA. I am not sure where you feel that I was "criticizing someone for being curious about a beer". I didn't even quote any other users.

Also, using the eye-roll smiley in a post where you plead with people to "not be condescending" is itself inherently condescending.

As has already been pointed out, "this IPA is too hazy" is a meritless critique to begin with. So I really don't think ChrisK's original post was out of line at all. If anything, he was indirectly encouraging people to try the beer for themselves (something I wholeheartedly endorse), and discouraging people from taking random internet reviews as gospel. For the record, I fully intend to try this likely-average beer when it shows up locally. If it turns out to be a top-notch IPA, I suppose I'll have some craw to eat.

Anyway, sorry hall monitor, I'll stop dawdling and get back to class. And I promise next time I'll remember to grab the hall pass.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Well, shit. I didn't think my little jab would cause such a ruckus. I didn't even realize it was Lister's twitter account (judging by the reaction). It really just struck me as an oddly significant emphasis on the beer's clarity, or lack thereof. It reminded me of things like the Alstrom brothers on Beeradvocate giving almost universally praised beers low scores because they were cloudy. Nothing more

DBN

Post by DBN »

While I have to admit the overall snarkiness of the recent post regarding Mill Street's new beer (remember when they were the closest thing you could get to a west coast hoppy beer here on a regular basis?) was initially a real bummer, I have since reversed my opinion, and am enjoying these passionate beer fan posts. There was a time here when new beers were met with crickets. So congrats to all those old timer five and dimers and new breeds for clashing and demanding not just better, but different beer.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

New

Unibroue Collection Pack
LCBO#: 461806 | 6 x 341 mL bottle

Not sure what's in it.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I've been had again. Damn lcbo. I thought the Red Racer Imperial IPA was a recent arrival. My wife picked me up a bomber in St Catharines and its dated December 8th 2015. :x
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

portwood

Post by portwood »

CoolB wrote:I've been had again. Damn lcbo. I thought the Red Racer Imperial IPA was a recent arrival. My wife picked me up a bomber in St Catharines and its dated December 8th 2015. :x
Thought the bottle I had last week had a date of Jan 28-16
.... or maybe I was duped and it was really 12-8-15 not 1-28-16
@markhamwhisky

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I'm yet to even see a bottle of Red Racer IIPA in a store

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS:

Amsterdam 3speed
Can 473 ml Price: $2.95

'Enjoy the easiest drinking Craft beer in the market. Aged 26 days to achieve ultimate smoothness and refined drinkability. Versatile & suitable for all thirst-quenching occasions'

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Clutch by Redline is in the LCBO now.

Only a few stores in Toronto so far (Yonge and Eg, Summerhill, Cooper Street, and Queen and Coxwell).

473ml Can - $2.85

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Dennis wrote:Not sure if it has been mentioned but Clutch by Redline is in the LCBO now.

Only a few stores in Toronto so far (Yonge and Eg, Summerhill, Cooper Street, and Queen and Coxwell).

473ml Can - $2.85
As is flight delay IPA from Barnstormers. Good to see more Barrie Brewed beers hitting the LCBO shelves.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so how is the mill street west coast ipa? anyone had the chance to try it?

seems like it is getting solid reviews

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

spinrsx wrote:New

Unibroue Collection Pack

Not sure what's in it.
As per Lyne at Unibroue:

The Unibroue Collection pack will contain one bottle of each of the following:

Blanche de Chambly

Blonde de Chambly

Éphémère Pomme

La Fin du Monde

Maudite

Don De Dieu

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

not bad for $13
GtownRandy wrote:
spinrsx wrote:New

Unibroue Collection Pack

Not sure what's in it.
As per Lyne at Unibroue:

The Unibroue Collection pack will contain one bottle of each of the following:

Blanche de Chambly

Blonde de Chambly

Éphémère Pomme

La Fin du Monde

Maudite

Don De Dieu

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

on the lcbo site they describe the pack as having 6.9% abv, which is actually the average of the 6 different beers