Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

spinrsx wrote:so how is the mill street west coast ipa? anyone had the chance to try it?

seems like it is getting solid reviews
It's quite tasty, but to me it played more like an exploded Witbier than an IPA and I think the food pairings at the launch bear that out. Quite fish heavy, which is not traditional for your IPA launch. I think the hops include Hallertau Blanc and that sort of leans into that profile as well.

I'd happily drink Mill Street IPA again. I might even buy it for home consumption, although maybe not a huge amount of it.
saintjohnswort.ca

DBN

Post by DBN »

spinrsx wrote:so how is the mill street west coast ipa? anyone had the chance to try it?

seems like it is getting solid reviews

As much as it pains me to agree with Mr. Beaumont, I do, right down to the orange juice. I also agree with Mr. St. John's assessment in regards to the wheat. If I were the west coast I would sue for misrepresentation.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I'm not as ecstatic about the mill street west coast as an ipa. I really like the attempt they made here but it's far too creamy and needs more of a hop presence. Now if I had gone into this beer thinking it's a hoped up wheat beer along the lines of All or Nothing Hopfenweisse my review would read different. Its a good beer that I would guess is closer to a Vermont style IPA than a west coast style.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GROWLER - Forked River Lord Simcoe's Revenge, very nice hop profile with citrus and also nuances of something like Chinook hop reminding me of SI Sgt. Majors IPA back in the CK days when it was gloriously bright and resinous.

From the province's sole LC growler station at LCBO Summerhill.

Glad I tried the 3 beers on tap, though a measly taster splash that would be free anywhere else on earth here runs you half a buck each... So anyway Mill Street has on a very mainstream APA and a fairly interesting Ginger flavored beer, both summertime-oriented to my palate, won't be purchasing.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new. when do we reach max beaus?

Beau's Farm Table Patersbier
600 mL bottle
$4.55

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

spinrsx wrote:new. when do we reach max beaus?

600 mL bottle
$4.55

I decided to jump back on the wagon and give another shot to a about half a dozen of their brews (mostly farm table series) because they were on sale a few months ago. All but two were just overpriced average-at-best brews, even with a dollar off. The Black IPA with the heart on the label was nice though, and the Kissmeyer collaboration is probably the best beer of theirs I've had... not surprising being a collab. Those two were overpriced too though. The Kissmeyer was priced well, the the black IPA at $8 was pretty much pure lolocaust.

So in short, we reached max Beau's years ago. Hater's gonna hate, though! Lol. :roll:

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

On the subject of the Mill St. IPA... I actually was pleasantly surprised. I loved the colour and found it just a well made, easy drinking IPA. Not at all a hop bomb and not too malty (which I dislike in IPAs... seems like IPAs out of B.C. love their cloyingly sweet malty IPAs. Same with Ransack. Not for me). Good brew. I'll drink it again, and want to give Ransack another shot too. I'd give Fat Tug another go but it's been on the shelves far too long now. Unless there was a new shipment.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Blasphomet wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new. when do we reach max beaus?

600 mL bottle
$4.55

I decided to jump back on the wagon and give another shot to a about half a dozen of their brews (mostly farm table series) because they were on sale a few months ago. All but two were just overpriced average-at-best brews, even with a dollar off. The Black IPA with the heart on the label was nice though, and the Kissmeyer collaboration is probably the best beer of theirs I've had... not surprising being a collab. Those two were overpriced too though. The Kissmeyer was priced well, the the black IPA at $8 was pretty much pure lolocaust.

So in short, we reached max Beau's years ago. Hater's gonna hate, though! Lol. :roll:
I'm pretty sure the Black IPA was a collaboration with Jordan Rainhard before he started his brewery. Unsurprising considering its decent. No other Beau's beer excites me anymore.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Blasphomet wrote:I'd give Fat Tug another go but it's been on the shelves far too long now. Unless there was a new shipment.
Im pretty sure there was a second shipment, and more just showed up at my local in the last week which I haven't verified the date for.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I'm not buying any of Beau's $8 bottles or whatever, but all the Farm Table releases have been quite good in my opinion. I have no issue with those beers cluttering the shelves.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

There's been a few batches now. It is a regular listing.
Masterplan wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:I'd give Fat Tug another go but it's been on the shelves far too long now. Unless there was a new shipment.
Im pretty sure there was a second shipment, and more just showed up at my local in the last week which I haven't verified the date for.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

noticed that this one has disappeared from the lcbo site. Never even came in.
spinrsx wrote:New

Stoner Bruton Beer
LCBO#: 211770 | 750 mL bottle
$10.30

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

spinrsx wrote:noticed that this one has disappeared from the lcbo site. Never even came in.
spinrsx wrote:New

Stoner Bruton Beer
LCBO#: 211770 | 750 mL bottle
$10.30
Figures. I was also looking forward to the Caldera Rauch that disappeared without reason.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

The fat tug at my LCBO was clearly labelled on the neck bottled April 4th.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tried the Mill St. West Coast IPA the other day and I think Beaumont's comments are spot on. The intensity of flavours are there for the style (like a home brewer showing that he understands that US IPAs are bold tasting), but they're not well integrated. And while I agree with others that the insanely cloudy and muddled appearance wouldn't be an issue if the flavours and aromas were great, they're not. I also found it to be under carbonated. So yeah. Didn't end up finishing this one.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott