Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Brewing Awards 2016

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Ontario Brewing Awards 2016

Post by Masterplan »

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Some interesting results, I would like to see the list of also rans, just to gauge who they were up against.

I'm also surprised the don't run a fall awards for those under represented seasonal styles.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Hellesbock
Gold: Not Awarded
Silver: Not Awarded
Bronze: Not Awarded -
Dang, I could have had gold!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Also, dang, Hoptical Illusion got best in show? I would not have guessed that. Also pretty surprised that Stone City topped Robohop in the IPA category, good for them.

Why do they have categories with 0-1 entries, but no category for things that people actually make, like IIPA, Session ales or anything sour?

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Masterplan wrote:Some interesting results, I would like to see the list of also rans, just to gauge who they were up against.

I'm also surprised the don't run a fall awards for those under represented seasonal styles.
These awards don't mean anything. Look at the number of bronzes that weren't awarded. Nobody submitted a Hellesbock and one beer won the rum barrel aged category (Not Bellwoods' Skeleton Key). Hype on Untappd, Rate Beer, Beer Advocate, social media, trading forums and message boards like this one count for a lot more than awards.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Sometimes online hype results in overhype, and other good brews get overlooked.

Awards are generally done blindly, by experienced judges. They have value, but excellent brews that fall outside the style categories can be an issue.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:Also, dang, Hoptical Illusion got best in show? I would not have guessed that. Also pretty surprised that Stone City topped Robohop in the IPA category, good for them.

Why do they have categories with 0-1 entries, but no category for things that people actually make, like IIPA, Session ales or anything sour?
Uncharted is a good IPA style wise, but it doesn't rival any of GLB's IPA's in terms of taste.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

jp_jkl wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Some interesting results, I would like to see the list of also rans, just to gauge who they were up against.

These awards don't mean anything. Look at the number of bronzes that weren't awarded. Nobody submitted a Hellesbock and one beer won the rum barrel aged category (Not Bellwoods' Skeleton Key). Hype on Untappd, Rate Beer, Beer Advocate, social media, trading forums and message boards like this one count for a lot more than awards.
I doubt Bellwoods entered. That's kind of the other part about awards...especially in the states, the best breweries usually don't even enter.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bellwoods did not enter. I don't think they ever have.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

What's the reasoning behind breweries like Bellwoods not even entering? Is it because it would create a demand that they simply could not handle? Or are their noses up in the air regarding these events for some reason?
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

CoolB wrote:What's the reasoning behind breweries like Bellwoods not even entering? Is it because it would create a demand that they simply could not handle? Or are their noses up in the air regarding these events for some reason?
:roll:

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

the award winners are... curious

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

jeremyg wrote:
CoolB wrote:What's the reasoning behind breweries like Bellwoods not even entering? Is it because it would create a demand that they simply could not handle? Or are their noses up in the air regarding these events for some reason?
:roll:
It's a serious question. No need to roll eyes. I'm a relative newbie and the more knowledge the better. Cheers.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

They've received awards from other outlets such as Ratebeer which placed them in the top 100 breweries in the world. That coupled with the fact that demand for their product already is greater than what they can supply and it makes little sense for them to spend a bunch of money on submissions to local awards whose reputations are dubious at best.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

And if your reputation is based on being top of the heap, there's a disincentive to put your beers up for competition...