Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

If all we can order are full cases, how is the lcbo online store thing any different than the service that keep6 already offers?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:If all we can order are full cases, how is the lcbo online store thing any different than the service that keep6 already offers?
You can get beer shipped to a local LCBO even in Toronto.

Other than that, it sounds like basically the LCBO setting up the same thing except for all importers.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:If all we can order are full cases, how is the lcbo online store thing any different than the service that keep6 already offers?
You can get beer shipped to a local LCBO even in Toronto.

Other than that, it sounds like basically the LCBO setting up the same thing except for all importers.

It may be substantially different if they list a large volume of beers that haven't been present and otherwise wouldn't be present at the LCBO (i.e., maybe this new store will encourage importers to bring in more stuff). Going through separate importers and picking it up d/t was a major pita. Also the delivery time of 3-5 days sounds quicker too as is the option of getting it delivered to your home. Either way, I just know the BO employees will hate this program when it hits full stride and find a plethora ways of screwing orders.

It would be cherry on top of the icing if the new store included glassware eventually.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Maybe that's why the lcbo gave these beers individual pricing.. for when people return parts of their case orders. Then they can just put them out on the shelf for sale. If enough of us return partial cases, there will be lots of singles to be found out there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:Ya, I agree on the whole buy as little as you want philosophy.
They can force you to buy a 4-pack, 6-pack, 500-pack.....doesn't matter on size, but if you really only want to drink ONE....they can't refuse to take back the rest of the product.
Sure, they could try to charge a fee or something for you to do that, but in the end "This is too much alcohol for me to safely drink" should be good enough reason to return anything they sell.

(I've been tempted to this for beer sometimes, buy a 6-pack....open it after paying in-store, take a bottle out...get back in line and return the remaining 5-pack under that premise)
And if they refuse, go to another store and get a full refund under the 'product complaint' premise.
Especially if you mean it! The last really horrible six pack of Heritage I bought, I was given full cash back including the one I had finished. I only asked for a pro rata for the five I brought back.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

St Ambroise Session IPA
Can 473 ml Price: $2.80

Badger Fursty Ferret
Bottle 500 ml Price: $3.65

Bobcaygeon Common Loon
Can 473 ml Price: $2.95

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

times have changed.. I remember being excited to find this on tap a few years ago

[DISCONTINUED] Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale (6 x 355 mL bottle) was discontinued

MattS

Post by MattS »

spinrsx wrote:times have changed.. I remember being excited to find this on tap a few years ago

[DISCONTINUED] Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale (6 x 355 mL bottle) was discontinued
As did I. I suspect it might come back in a can - if it does, I'll try one again.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:times have changed.. I remember being excited to find this on tap a few years ago

As was I and enjoyed it several times.

Now a days, we do have some spectacular beers regularly in stock (Chimay, Rochefort, Aventinus etc etc...hopefully they add Orval and Westmalle to that list), but our seasonal lists have been shrinking and becoming a lot more local not to mention more expensive. So, I say we have made some steps forward and a few strides backwards.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Hendextall wrote:A friend was talking to a manager at the LCBO on Thursday and was told that the launch has been postponed. So we may be waiting a bit.

Any word how long the delay will be?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

at TBS

Broadhead Bodacious Blueberry Blond

Blueberry seems to be the thing this year. This is the third I've seen to go with Lake of the Woods Forgotten Lake Blueberry Ale, and Waterloo Blueberry Weizenbier

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

S. St. Jeb wrote:at TBS

Broadhead Bodacious Blueberry Blond

Blueberry seems to be the thing this year. This is the third I've seen to go with Lake of the Woods Forgotten Lake Blueberry Ale, and Waterloo Blueberry Weizenbier
I like the Broadhead Blueberry. It reminds me of the Pump House Blueberry from New Brunswick that the LCBO used to carry. Sobey's carries around here too.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

While we don't know the details behind the discontinuation (as someone said, maybe they're canning it? but i doubt it, since Spearhead's dropped off a lot of taps as of late), it's a sober reminder for all the toms, dicks and harrys that get into contract brewing. dangerous game to play

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

atomeyes wrote:

While we don't know the details behind the discontinuation (as someone said, maybe they're canning it? but i doubt it, since Spearhead's dropped off a lot of taps as of late), it's a sober reminder for all the toms, dicks and harrys that get into contract brewing. dangerous game to play
I would say that was their best beer, and I would also say there are probably at least a dozen other Ontario breweries I'd rather see vanish before Spearhead.

There really is very little risk being a contract brewer, so what's this "dangerous game" you're referencing?

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

El Pinguino wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

I would say that was their best beer, and I would also say there are probably at least a dozen other Ontario breweries I'd rather see vanish before Spearhead.

There really is very little risk being a contract brewer, so what's this "dangerous game" you're referencing?
The danger is you have to pay a brewery to make your product, and you don't have a storefront like a bricks and mortar brewery to sell your product. Margins are much lower.

Jordan has a good write-up on it recently: http://saintjohnswort.ca/acehilllostcraft/