Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days 2016

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Cask Days 2016

Post by Craig »

Cask Days welcomes breweries from across Canada and the United States to showcase their finest brews. This year, the state of Oregon has been chosen as the international brewery feature presented in conjunction with Gigantic Brewing of Portland. There will be a variety of 50 beers and ciders available from Oregon State that are available for the first time in Ontario.
Tickets go on sale at noon.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Seems like they're doing a better job than usual of getting info out early this year, or at least info about when info is coming out.

Beer list will be published on Sept. 26th.

Here's the list of brewers in the Portland feature, probably subject to change:

http://festival.caskdays.com/breweries

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Guys. Cascade. Holy fucking shit.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Gavin wrote:Guys. Cascade. Holy fucking shit.
Cascade, Hair of the Dog (please send Adam), Upright, De Garre....

still expecting people to start bitching about the event and bragging how they'll never go and how awful it is.
which is isn't.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Everyone has their opinions on what is their ideal beer festival event...

Other than the physical location and not being able to two-fister (well, fetch for another person), I'm good with how Cask Days is done. The various issues tend to get addressed the next year.

Anyways, I've got my Friday & Saturday afternoon session tickets. Excited to try the Portland breweries.
lister

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

atomeyes wrote:
Gavin wrote:Guys. Cascade. Holy fucking shit.
Cascade, Hair of the Dog (please send Adam), Upright, De Garre....

still expecting people to start bitching about the event and bragging how they'll never go and how awful it is.
which is isn't.
Pretty sure de Garde and some others will be a separate event at the new bar.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cascade is fairly well distributed out west (I found it in Kamloops of all places), so they're familiar with us up north. Nice to see them at this for sure.

I got a baller pass so I could decide closer to the weekend which ones to go to :)

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Hmm.... this fest is mildly tempting. I'm not a cask beer fan typically as I think the muting of some flavours isn't the ideal treatment of a beer.
But hey, the lineup looks very promising.
Just need to see what dates and times I might be game for checking out.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

FEUO wrote:Hmm.... this fest is mildly tempting. I'm not a cask beer fan typically as I think the muting of some flavours isn't the ideal treatment of a beer.
But hey, the lineup looks very promising.
Just need to see what dates and times I might be game for checking out.
I've often mused that I go to Cask Days in spite of the fact that all beer is on cask and not because of it. Cask isn't the greatest for a number of styles present, but the selection is unparalleled for GTA festivals.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I hope that details of when each of the casks will be tapped is disclosed with the beer list, though I am not banking on it. Two years ago, they intentionally held back on certain casks until the Saturday sessions. Last year everything was tapped on Friday and I went on Saturday afternoon (early bird) and a number of beers were gone by the time I walked in. Despite it's imperfections, I'm still going to this event either way. But it would be good to be able to make an informed decision on choice of session.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm guessing this year will be like last year in that regard. You could probably tweet at them or email them if you want to know for sure.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Provost Drunk wrote:I hope that details of when each of the casks will be tapped is disclosed with the beer list, though I am not banking on it. Two years ago, they intentionally held back on certain casks until the Saturday sessions. Last year everything was tapped on Friday and I went on Saturday afternoon (early bird) and a number of beers were gone by the time I walked in. Despite it's imperfections, I'm still going to this event either way. But it would be good to be able to make an informed decision on choice of session.
If you wait until the beer list is posted there may not be tickets left. Just go early, or go to multiple sessions if you have your heard set on getting as many samples as possible.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Happy that I'll be in town this year, and can attend Cask Days again. To me, it's a wonderful festival with a wide range of beers and a lot of stuff you won't get any other time in Toronto.

The venue being not super convenient helps deter certain people, which is good too. Usually a fun crowd that is happy to chat too, if you hang out in the quieter areas.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

El Pinguino wrote:The venue being not super convenient helps deter certain people, which is good too. Usually a fun crowd that is happy to chat too, if you hang out in the quieter areas.
I think I might be one of the few people that can walk to the brickworks now.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

DeMarco wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:The venue being not super convenient helps deter certain people, which is good too. Usually a fun crowd that is happy to chat too, if you hang out in the quieter areas.
I think I might be one of the few people that can walk to the brickworks now.
nope.
it's an annual tradition for me to walk up Bayview and the Don River trail whilst sauced.