Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

The Freigeist Abraxxxas Lichtenhaimer pear is now in stock. It's really one of the most interesting beers the LCBO has sold in a while. I love it, but I definitely have to say it's not a style that everyone with love...especially with the initial smokiness.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mahcinesquad wrote:
Belgian wrote:Miijidaa in Guelph...
Just be prepared for slow service. Anytime I've been in there, while food was good, service was almost non-existent.
Twice lucky perhaps. Definitely fast service at lunch, place fairly empty.
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

spinrsx wrote:new

5 PADDLES BREWING HOME SWEET HOME
Canada | 5 Paddles Brewing Co
LCBO 458950 | 650 mL | $ 6.00

BLACK BELLOWS WHITE
Canada | Black Bellows Brewing Co
LCBO 466334 | 500 mL | $ 3.95 | SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
I recently had the Black Bellows White and was really impressed with it. Reminds me of the St. Bernardus Wit (minus the bottle conditioning)

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Mildly surprised 5 Paddles went with Home Sweet Home in the LCBO instead of In Your Face. Maybe they didn't want to get lost in a sea of other IPAs, but I don't think that would have happened considering the flashiness of the label, and the quality of the beer.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

i cant believe what got added to the lcbo site today:

Dunham Saison Rustique (online only)
Eggenberg Brewery's Samichlaus
Orval Trappist Ale
Westmalle Dubbel

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

GtownRandy wrote:i cant believe what got added to the lcbo site today:

Dunham Saison Rustique (online only)
Eggenberg Brewery's Samichlaus
Orval Trappist Ale
Westmalle Dubbel
Always happy to see the Orval/Westmalle Belgians return...they used to be such staples on the shelves!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:Orval Trappist Ale
Westmalle Dubbel
Always happy to see the Orval/Westmalle Belgians return...they used to be such staples on the shelves!
Me too, time to check the cellar stock level of Orval and maybe add another 24 to the cellar! It never goes bad, unless you only like this beer super-dry and fresh (and it was probably even sharper and funkier 15 or more years ago.) According to the brewers Orval tends to be intentionally variable rather than homogenized between all batches, so I look forward to a new 'vintage.'

Westmalle Dubbel (2006?) has aged well a long time in my cellar, well past the BBD but I have heard recent years' brewings don't hold up as well, is this true?

I like that there is an ongoing commitment (Rochefort, St. Bernardus) to good Belgo-Trappist beers at LCBO - even though we rarely see them all at once, they tend to re-occur. Chimay Premiere AKA Rouge is the only immutable presence, since back in the Beer Dark Ages when it was probably 4-5 bucks a 750ml and nearly the only thing going besides the few more common Belgian-styled Unibroue from Quebec that were kicking around (in those early days Blanche, Maudite, Fin du Monde were common in cage-corked 750mls.)

We can loosely include La Trappe / Koningshoeven among current 'Belgian Trappists' albeit Dutch-made.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

BIG RIG CANADIAN AMBER CAN
Canada | Big Rig Brewing Co.
LCBO 446948 | 473 mL | $ 2.85

WHY SO SIRIUS AMERICAN STYLE PALE ALE CAN
Canada | Sextant Craft Brewery
LCBO 469197 | 473 mL | $ 2.95

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote: I like that there is an ongoing commitment (Rochefort, St. Bernardus) to good Belgo-Trappist beers at LCBO - even though we rarely see them all at once, they tend to re-occur. Chimay Premiere AKA Rouge is the only immutable presence, since back in the Beer Dark Ages when it was probably 4-5 bucks a 750ml and nearly the only thing going besides the few more common Belgian-styled Unibroue from Quebec that were kicking around (in those early days Blanche, Maudite, Fin du Monde were common in cage-corked 750mls.)

We can loosely include La Trappe / Koningshoeven among current 'Belgian Trappists' albeit Dutch-made.
I would say the trappists offerings at the LCBO simultaneously highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the LCBO for beer. It's great that they are broadly available (sometimes) and reasonably priced. It is a bit annoying that they come in and out of stock so often...you never know if this is the last Rochefort order for the next 3 years.

And La Trappe is one of the official Trappist breweries. If you ever get the chance, they have some barrel-aged versions of their quad that are incredibly enjoyable.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Can't tell you for sure when but aught to be soon...

Stone IPA 650ml - $7.95 - 425975
Arrogant Bastard 650ml - $8.95 - 425983
Delicious IPA 6-packs - $19.95 - 573652

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Wish all of these were in 6 packs... cans too
biegaman wrote:Can't tell you for sure when but aught to be soon...

skootles

Post by skootles »

Blasphomet wrote:Mildly surprised 5 Paddles went with Home Sweet Home in the LCBO instead of In Your Face. Maybe they didn't want to get lost in a sea of other IPAs, but I don't think that would have happened considering the flashiness of the label, and the quality of the beer.
Maybe they were worried about the LCBO warehouse-aging it.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

spinrsx wrote:Wish all of these were in 6 packs... cans too

Next time will be tall cans (still TBD but looking like Arrogant, Go-To and one other)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

awesome!
biegaman wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Wish all of these were in 6 packs... cans too

Next time will be tall cans (still TBD but looking like Arrogant, Go-To and one other)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:And La Trappe is one of the official Trappist breweries. If you ever get the chance, they have some barrel-aged versions of their quad that are incredibly enjoyable.
Not sure I've had the BA.
Yes La Trappe is not Belgian but by association it is certainly one of the Belgian-styled Trappists. Other Trappist breweries may not be at all.
In Beerum Veritas