New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby napoleon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:34 pm

The Freigeist Abraxxxas Lichtenhaimer pear is now in stock. It's really one of the most interesting beers the LCBO has sold in a while. I love it, but I definitely have to say it's not a style that everyone with love...especially with the initial smokiness.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: New Arrivals at LCBS

Postby Belgian » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:38 pm

mahcinesquad wrote:
Belgian wrote:Miijidaa in Guelph...

Just be prepared for slow service. Anytime I've been in there, while food was good, service was almost non-existent.

Twice lucky perhaps. Definitely fast service at lunch, place fairly empty.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
admviolin
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby admviolin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:44 pm

spinrsx wrote:new

5 PADDLES BREWING HOME SWEET HOME
Canada | 5 Paddles Brewing Co
LCBO 458950 | 650 mL | $ 6.00

BLACK BELLOWS WHITE
Canada | Black Bellows Brewing Co
LCBO 466334 | 500 mL | $ 3.95 | SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES


I recently had the Black Bellows White and was really impressed with it. Reminds me of the St. Bernardus Wit (minus the bottle conditioning)
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby Blasphomet » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Mildly surprised 5 Paddles went with Home Sweet Home in the LCBO instead of In Your Face. Maybe they didn't want to get lost in a sea of other IPAs, but I don't think that would have happened considering the flashiness of the label, and the quality of the beer.
GtownRandy
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:17 am

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby GtownRandy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:40 pm

i cant believe what got added to the lcbo site today:


Dunham Saison Rustique (online only)
Eggenberg Brewery's Samichlaus
Orval Trappist Ale
Westmalle Dubbel
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby El Pinguino » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:30 pm

GtownRandy wrote:i cant believe what got added to the lcbo site today:


Dunham Saison Rustique (online only)
Eggenberg Brewery's Samichlaus
Orval Trappist Ale
Westmalle Dubbel


Always happy to see the Orval/Westmalle Belgians return...they used to be such staples on the shelves!
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

New Belgians / LCBO History

Postby Belgian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:46 pm

El Pinguino wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:Orval Trappist Ale
Westmalle Dubbel

Always happy to see the Orval/Westmalle Belgians return...they used to be such staples on the shelves!

Me too, time to check the cellar stock level of Orval and maybe add another 24 to the cellar! It never goes bad, unless you only like this beer super-dry and fresh (and it was probably even sharper and funkier 15 or more years ago.) According to the brewers Orval tends to be intentionally variable rather than homogenized between all batches, so I look forward to a new 'vintage.'

Westmalle Dubbel (2006?) has aged well a long time in my cellar, well past the BBD but I have heard recent years' brewings don't hold up as well, is this true?

I like that there is an ongoing commitment (Rochefort, St. Bernardus) to good Belgo-Trappist beers at LCBO - even though we rarely see them all at once, they tend to re-occur. Chimay Premiere AKA Rouge is the only immutable presence, since back in the Beer Dark Ages when it was probably 4-5 bucks a 750ml and nearly the only thing going besides the few more common Belgian-styled Unibroue from Quebec that were kicking around (in those early days Blanche, Maudite, Fin du Monde were common in cage-corked 750mls.)

We can loosely include La Trappe / Koningshoeven among current 'Belgian Trappists' albeit Dutch-made.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby spinrsx » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:26 am

new

BIG RIG CANADIAN AMBER CAN
Canada | Big Rig Brewing Co.
LCBO 446948 | 473 mL | $ 2.85

WHY SO SIRIUS AMERICAN STYLE PALE ALE CAN
Canada | Sextant Craft Brewery
LCBO 469197 | 473 mL | $ 2.95
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: New Belgians / LCBO History

Postby napoleon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Belgian wrote:I like that there is an ongoing commitment (Rochefort, St. Bernardus) to good Belgo-Trappist beers at LCBO - even though we rarely see them all at once, they tend to re-occur. Chimay Premiere AKA Rouge is the only immutable presence, since back in the Beer Dark Ages when it was probably 4-5 bucks a 750ml and nearly the only thing going besides the few more common Belgian-styled Unibroue from Quebec that were kicking around (in those early days Blanche, Maudite, Fin du Monde were common in cage-corked 750mls.)

We can loosely include La Trappe / Koningshoeven among current 'Belgian Trappists' albeit Dutch-made.

I would say the trappists offerings at the LCBO simultaneously highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the LCBO for beer. It's great that they are broadly available (sometimes) and reasonably priced. It is a bit annoying that they come in and out of stock so often...you never know if this is the last Rochefort order for the next 3 years.

And La Trappe is one of the official Trappist breweries. If you ever get the chance, they have some barrel-aged versions of their quad that are incredibly enjoyable.
biegaman
Bar Fly
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: West Hill

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby biegaman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Can't tell you for sure when but aught to be soon...

Stone IPA 650ml - $7.95 - 425975
Arrogant Bastard 650ml - $8.95 - 425983
Delicious IPA 6-packs - $19.95 - 573652
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby spinrsx » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Wish all of these were in 6 packs... cans too

biegaman wrote:Can't tell you for sure when but aught to be soon...

Stone IPA 650ml - $7.95 - 425975
Arrogant Bastard 650ml - $8.95 - 425983
Delicious IPA 6-packs - $19.95 - 573652
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby skootles » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Blasphomet wrote:Mildly surprised 5 Paddles went with Home Sweet Home in the LCBO instead of In Your Face. Maybe they didn't want to get lost in a sea of other IPAs, but I don't think that would have happened considering the flashiness of the label, and the quality of the beer.

Maybe they were worried about the LCBO warehouse-aging it.
biegaman
Bar Fly
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: West Hill

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby biegaman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:44 am

spinrsx wrote:Wish all of these were in 6 packs... cans too

biegaman wrote:Can't tell you for sure when but aught to be soon...

Stone IPA 650ml - $7.95 - 425975
Arrogant Bastard 650ml - $8.95 - 425983
Delicious IPA 6-packs - $19.95 - 573652

Next time will be tall cans (still TBD but looking like Arrogant, Go-To and one other)
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

Postby spinrsx » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 am

awesome!

biegaman wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Wish all of these were in 6 packs... cans too

biegaman wrote:Can't tell you for sure when but aught to be soon...

Stone IPA 650ml - $7.95 - 425975
Arrogant Bastard 650ml - $8.95 - 425983
Delicious IPA 6-packs - $19.95 - 573652

Next time will be tall cans (still TBD but looking like Arrogant, Go-To and one other)
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: New Belgians / LCBO History

Postby Belgian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:36 pm

napoleon wrote:And La Trappe is one of the official Trappist breweries. If you ever get the chance, they have some barrel-aged versions of their quad that are incredibly enjoyable.

Not sure I've had the BA.
Yes La Trappe is not Belgian but by association it is certainly one of the Belgian-styled Trappists. Other Trappist breweries may not be at all.
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cadbury102 and 11 guests