Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Craig wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:
Craig wrote:The lambda turned sour. It was much better fresh, sadly.
Which vintage?
The first one, whichever year that was.
Thanks - I've got a couple tucked away from last fall's release. Maybe I won't sit on them as long as I had intended.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Since they're barrel aged, it's hard to say if whatever made mine sour (they still tasted alright by the way, I just liked them better fresh) would be in other years, or even other bottles that came from a different barrel that year.

Come to think of it, that would be a nice way for brewers to label special releases like that. Instead of giving us bottle numbers, give us barrel numbers! Or would a brewery mix all the barrels before bottling?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:2013 (Four Roses Bourbon) Barrel Aged Double Tempest
Day Two: even smoother with a bit more vanilla coming forward from the bourbon oak barrels. Really top stuff!

Shame this wasn't made any more by Amsterdam the last year or two. Of course the bottles were $15 but maybe it was still expensive to make.

Also have to try the GLB 25th Anniversary BARIS, this bottle also more than three years old!
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The 25th stout is still terrific. I wish i had more.

Strange that that's the only one of the 25th anniversary beers they never made regularly.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:The 25th stout is still terrific. I wish i had more.
Strange that that's the only one of the 25th anniversary beers they never made regularly.
Limited (one-time brewing only.)

I think letting big stouts sleep for a good while makes a whole lot of sense.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:
Craig wrote:The 25th stout is still terrific. I wish i had more.
Limited (one-time brewing only.)

I think letting big stouts sleep for a good while makes a whole lot of sense.
One time only, but the 25th Porter got brewed again as Harry Porter. The black IPA is Apocalypse later.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dunno, I guess Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels are the one ingredient GLB can't get as conveniently?

Speaking of barrels, I dug up a bomber of Amsterdam 4-Barrels Barley Wine - collab with GLB, Sawdust City, Indie Ale House. Sounds like a good one to age longer, or maybe infected if I'm unlucky.

POP. No it's damn good! layers of sweet tasty fruit like baked apple and fig, hints of red cherry, lemon, minty hops. This is freaking fantatic. Has a coating palate and the dryness hangs on over top of that, long flavors. Bready sweet and lemon-rind aroma.
In Beerum Veritas

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Dieu du Ciel Tamarindo and Saison du Parc. The Tamarindo is very sour, some lemony tamarind taste. Not sure how to react to this one but it's shaping up to be one of those beers where upon first taste it's "WTF is this?", and by the end of the four-pack I will become a fan. The Saison du Parc is very nice, quite bitter.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Founders All-Day IPA. Having a late start, apparently. Great aromas!
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Great Lakes Octopus Wants to Fight IPA
Great Lakes Mocha Machine (Bourbon Barrel Aged Chocolate & Coffee Porter)
Belgian wrote:Founders All-Day IPA. Having a late start, apparently. Great aromas!
Still one of the best session ales out there. Buffalo haul?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote:Founders All-Day IPA. Having a late start, apparently. Great aromas!
Still one of the best session ales out there. Buffalo haul?
I love the lemony palate and the more-ish minty hop tingle on the finish. Yes got it from a mini-mart along Elmwood on the walk back up from Allentown, which is a great area to explore! FADIPA is sold at the Lexington Food Co-op as well, not far from Thin Man.

Going price is about $18 for 15 cans. These are from May, but taste extremely good!
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Over the past week or so:

McAuslan St. Ambroise Collection Barrique Scotch Ale 2015. (Excellent!)
Boxing Rock Craft Jack English Ale (Stank of rancid egg whites... yuck!)
Garrison Nut Brown Ale
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Royal City Lock Stock in A Barrel (Quite nice, winey, mellow oak. My favourite from them to date)
Founders KBS 2016 (Excellent!)

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Coronaeus wrote:Over the past week or so:

McAuslan St. Ambroise Collection Barrique Scotch Ale 2015. (Excellent!)
Boxing Rock Craft Jack English Ale (Stank of rancid egg whites... yuck!)
Garrison Nut Brown Ale
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Royal City Lock Stock in A Barrel (Quite nice, winey, mellow oak. My favourite from them to date)
Founders KBS 2016 (Excellent!)

Agreed, lock stock...is the best the royal city have produced imo

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

The past week or so:

Barncat saison-really nice stuff, barnyard kind of funk to it,nice and dry and lovely flavours. The best Ontario saison I've had, and one of the very few that doesn't just taste like a wheat beer to me
Elora brewing, elora borealis- a very decent pale ale, nice tropical flavours very refreshing and easy drinking. The only thing I've had from the brewery so far, but a good start.
Twice as Mad Tom-I don't seem to enjoy this the same as I did before. It's probably been close to 2 years since I've had it, so unsure if it's me that's changed or the beer itself. Seemed a little flat(flavour wise not carbonation)
Unibroue ephemere blueberry-ok, but probably one of my least favourite of the ephemere series. Only slightly better than the apple imo and far behind the cherry,raspberry and cranberry.
Cuvée jacobins-from last springs release. Excellent tasting, I'm getting more of the wood/oaky flavours coming out of it than I did last year. Still the great sour cherry flavour going strong.
Wellington rhubarb saison(on tap)- nice and refreshing, slightly tart,subtle rhubarb/lemon flavours going on. Superior to the canned version. Great on the patio in the sun

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Unibroue ephemere blueberry-ok, but probably one of my least favourite of the ephemere series. Only slightly better than the apple imo and far behind the cherry,raspberry and cranberry.
Wellington rhubarb saison(on tap)- nice and refreshing, slightly tart,subtle rhubarb/lemon flavours going on. Superior to the canned version. Great on the patio in the sun
The Welly sounds fantastic, incidentally I would also like to try a Leipziger Gose with Rhubarb and/or Strawberry.

I liked the Apple Ephemere quite a bit but rarely do I think Blueberry-flavored things work, except maybe the fresh hot muffins at Remarkable Bean. I will give it a chance! 6.95 is a lot for essentially a low-gravity wheat ale, I recall the Apple selling for 4.95 and it had a great fall orchard and kind of spicy almost vanilla-like thing going on.
In Beerum Veritas