Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
DeMarco
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:01 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby DeMarco » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Was there yesterday, both thiriez were still there and some corne du diable from jan 2015.
Lukie
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 am

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Lukie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Even when LCBO brought it in on their regular shelves it was already dated so I wouldn't touch that dusty old DDC IPA there....

They still, however, have boxes of Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout at a decent $5 something. Yes the hops have faded somewhat over the years in this hoppy stout (its been there at least 2 years), but it's still very drinkable.
Lukie
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 am

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Lukie » Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 pm

The Midtfyns Stout is still tasting awfully good especially at $2.25 now, regardless of the harsher, duller hops. Though more hop dependant than most stouts , this is still a robust double stout after all so it doesn't detract too much especially when it's over 50% off. Yes, this is a hoppy happy, less than heavy body and not so creamy stout but you can still def. taste hints of oak, smoke and copious amounts of rum raisin, coffee and dark chocolate in there. Very low price, particularly for a Scandinavian due to expiration date of May 28 of this year; don't know how many there are left though - at least a bottle, though there may be a box or two underneath it. They've had this large private order there in the clearance section for at least 3 years. Seems Weston/401 is the perfect location to cellar fine beers.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby beerstodiscover » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:21 am

Noticed a few goodies on clearance last night.

Pauwel Kwak $2.85 - 330 ml, BB 20/03/2017. About 7 cases stacked on the floor.

Brùton Bianca $9.15 - 750 ml, BB 10/2016 (IIRC). 12 bottles on the shelf.

Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Weizenbock $8.75 - 750 ml, Bottled 05/09/2014. About 7 cases on the floor.
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2217
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Bobsy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:27 pm

beerstodiscover wrote:Noticed a few goodies on clearance last night.

Pauwel Kwak $2.85 - 330 ml, BB 20/03/2017. About 7 cases stacked on the floor.

Brùton Bianca $9.15 - 750 ml, BB 10/2016 (IIRC). 12 bottles on the shelf.

Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Weizenbock $8.75 - 750 ml, Bottled 05/09/2014. About 7 cases on the floor.


I'd be curious how the weizenbock tastes a couple years after brewing. I always thought it was heading towards barleywine territory, so maybe it holds up?
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:19 am

I've had that beer with more age than that on it and yes, it does hold up.

The trouble with beer that old from the BO is you have no idea how it was stored. If they're still in cases at least your odds of it not being light struck are good.
User avatar
ry_kinney
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Scarborough

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby ry_kinney » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Bobsy wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Noticed a few goodies on clearance last night.

Pauwel Kwak $2.85 - 330 ml, BB 20/03/2017. About 7 cases stacked on the floor.

Brùton Bianca $9.15 - 750 ml, BB 10/2016 (IIRC). 12 bottles on the shelf.

Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Weizenbock $8.75 - 750 ml, Bottled 05/09/2014. About 7 cases on the floor.


I'd be curious how the weizenbock tastes a couple years after brewing. I always thought it was heading towards barleywine territory, so maybe it holds up?


Don't waste your money!

My dad brought me a few bottles as he frequents that location from time to time. Sad to say but the Weizenbock did not hold up due to storage I assume. Too badbecause you can really taste the remnants of a once delicious, flavourful and full bodied beer. Would love to try a fresh or properly aged one.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby beerstodiscover » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:43 am

ry_kinney wrote:Don't waste your money!


How was the LTM beer tasting?

I cracked a bottle of the Kwak and Bruton and they were both tasty, though I've never had them fresh.
User avatar
ry_kinney
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Scarborough

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby ry_kinney » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:25 pm

beerstodiscover wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:Don't waste your money!


How was the LTM beer tasting?

I cracked a bottle of the Kwak and Bruton and they were both tasty, though I've never had them fresh.


Oh thst's the one I was describing. You get hints of a once great beer but it has an underlying rotten funk that I just couldn't get over. It was a drainpour for me.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 am

ry_kinney wrote:It was a drainpour for me.


Yeah I cracked one last night. Tasted almost like syrup, very sugary, flat. I got through half a glass. Flavours and nose are nice, but just way too intensely sweet for me. This is a bottle to be split 5 ways or poured on pancakes. Many reviews describe as such, but perhaps it's more drinkable fresh/property aged.
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2217
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Bobsy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:23 pm

ry_kinney wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Noticed a few goodies on clearance last night.

Pauwel Kwak $2.85 - 330 ml, BB 20/03/2017. About 7 cases stacked on the floor.

Brùton Bianca $9.15 - 750 ml, BB 10/2016 (IIRC). 12 bottles on the shelf.

Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Weizenbock $8.75 - 750 ml, Bottled 05/09/2014. About 7 cases on the floor.


I'd be curious how the weizenbock tastes a couple years after brewing. I always thought it was heading towards barleywine territory, so maybe it holds up?


Don't waste your money!

My dad brought me a few bottles as he frequents that location from time to time. Sad to say but the Weizenbock did not hold up due to storage I assume. Too badbecause you can really taste the remnants of a once delicious, flavourful and full bodied beer. Would love to try a fresh or properly aged one.


Thanks for the warning - I'll give this one a miss. Crossroads isn't massively out of my way on the way home, but I was only considering going because there's a lack of heavy hitters at the lobo right now, and I was hoping the LTM might fit the bill if aged okay.
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2217
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Bobsy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:43 am

As of yesterday, there were still 5 cases of the LTM Weizenbock, and about 10 bottles of Kwak. More interestingly, there were 15 bottles of DDC Exorciste. Around $10.85 for 750ml:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dieu-du-ci ... te/185695/

I still don't get this store - it's so completely random.
Charchuk
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby Charchuk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:17 pm

Has Exorciste ever been listed in Ontario? I don't recall seeing it before.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby beerstodiscover » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks for the tip. I picked up a bottle of Exorciste today. I wonder when it was bottled. Couldn't find any date and most versions seem to be 6% while this batch is 5%.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

Postby beerstodiscover » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:19 pm

I just happened upon a case of 2013-2014 Boon Oude Geuze. 375 ml bottles @ $4.25 each.

Seven bottles left on the shelf for anyone quick enough.

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron