Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Grocery Stores

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

spinrsx wrote:so we have websites we can use to find lcbo products and TBS products.. any way to see which beers each grocery store has in stock?
There's almost no way that would even be possible. It would require different chains of grocery stores to release their inventories to the public for another website to scrape the data. It won't happen.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:so we have websites we can use to find lcbo products and TBS products.. any way to see which beers each grocery store has in stock?

Even if it were possible, I don't think I'd be worth the effort at least for now. Has anyone actually spotted an excellent beer yet at any of these stores? I see mostly crap, and an occasional decent IPA or a Stout, pretty much eschewing international craft. This entire grocery store project - both in terms of selection and hours of availability - has been a total let-down for me so far.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Lukie wrote:This entire grocery store project - both in terms of selection and hours of availability - has been a total let-down for me so far.
Just wondering what were you expecting? I don't recall reading much ahead of the start of sales in grocery stores that lead me to believe that the selection or hours would be different from what was generally available in LCBOs.

Personally, I've only purchased beer in a grocery store once. That was the Loblaws at Leslie/Lakeshore. Bought Sleeping Giant 360 Pale Ale. Not too special, perhaps, but it is otherwise only available in Thunder Bay.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Lukie wrote:

Even if it were possible, I don't think I'd be worth the effort at least for now. Has anyone actually spotted an excellent beer yet at any of these stores? I see mostly crap, and an occasional decent IPA or a Stout, pretty much eschewing international craft. This entire grocery store project - both in terms of selection and hours of availability - has been a total let-down for me so far.
I've found the College Square Loblaws in Ottawa has a selection comparable to the LCBO next door and better than the Beer Store across the parking lot. Lots of Ontario craft, most notably Collective Arts which they've carried 5 or 6 of their beers.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/08 ... ry-stores/

Big Rig Alpha Bomb, among others, is coming to select grocery stores soon. Is this the first example of beers being released exclusively to grocers, or is there an LCBO or TBS listing coming soon?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Isn't there a beer from Thunder Bay or somewhere up north that is in grocery stores but not LCBO?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I picked up alpha bomb at sobeys in ottawa about 4 months ago. They also had collective arts stash which is not at the lcbo.
Craig wrote:http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/08 ... ry-stores/

Big Rig Alpha Bomb, among others, is coming to select grocery stores soon. Is this the first example of beers being released exclusively to grocers, or is there an LCBO or TBS listing coming soon?

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Yes there are about 6 collective arts ales and ciders that are grocery only, along with boshkung which i thought was easy drinking

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

midlife crisis wrote:Isn't there a beer from Thunder Bay or somewhere up north that is in grocery stores but not LCBO?
Sleeping Giant 360 Pale Ale has been available in grocery stores (I bought some at Loblaws at Lakeshore/Leslie). It is in the LCBO, but only in Thunder Bay.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Isn't there a beer from Thunder Bay or somewhere up north that is in grocery stores but not LCBO?
Sleeping Giant 360 Pale Ale has been available in grocery stores (I bought some at Loblaws at Lakeshore/Leslie). It is in the LCBO, but only in Thunder Bay.
Right, thanks, that is the one.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

It would be sweet if someone could compile a list of beers that are worthy and only available at groceries stores. I'm probably missing out on some good ones. Like, I have no idea what Collective Arts brews you are talking about that are grocery store only.

portwood

Post by portwood »

I need Costco to start selling beer in Ontario!
Image ....... so, I sign up to flickr just to be able to post photos here and it doesn't work ... photo of: Allagash Tripel, Boulevard Rye on Rye (Sazerac), & Stone Imperial Russian Stout
(based on the selection I've seen in Florida and Virginia, if Costco also sold wine, I would never spend a cent at LCBO or Beer store ever again)
@markhamwhisky

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I know someone who works at Costco and they said that they will start selling beer. Although I'm sure it'll be no different than normal grocery stores sell.
I wish we could get the wine/beer selection that American Costco gets. I do believe that Costco now has the greatest wine p urchasing power in the world, and I'm sure beer is much the same.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I know someone who works at Costco and they said that they will start selling beer. Although Itll probably be no different than normal grocery stores sell.
I wish we could get the wine/beer selection that American Costco gets. I do believe that Costco now has the greatest wine p urchasing power in the world, and I'm sure beer is much the same.

portwood

Post by portwood »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I know someone who works at Costco and they said that they will start selling beer. Although I'm sure it'll be no different than normal grocery stores sell.
I wish we could get the wine/beer selection that American Costco gets. I do believe that Costco now has the greatest wine purchasing power in the world, and I'm sure beer is much the same.
If Costco is indeed going to enter the game, my bet is they will offer something unique in addition to some of the basics.
Their competitive advantage is:
1. value based on volume - this doesn't work for beer or wine in Ontario since they will be stuck with AGCO/LCBO mandated pricing (i.e. no volume discounting)
2. high quality goods that are not found elsewhere - this is where they can be of value to beer drinkers!
3. packaging not found elsewhere - example: exclusive brewery variety packs put together for Costo
@markhamwhisky