Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Was there yesterday, both thiriez were still there and some corne du diable from jan 2015.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Even when LCBO brought it in on their regular shelves it was already dated so I wouldn't touch that dusty old DDC IPA there....

They still, however, have boxes of Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout at a decent $5 something. Yes the hops have faded somewhat over the years in this hoppy stout (its been there at least 2 years), but it's still very drinkable.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

The Midtfyns Stout is still tasting awfully good especially at $2.25 now, regardless of the harsher, duller hops. Though more hop dependant than most stouts , this is still a robust double stout after all so it doesn't detract too much especially when it's over 50% off. Yes, this is a hoppy happy, less than heavy body and not so creamy stout but you can still def. taste hints of oak, smoke and copious amounts of rum raisin, coffee and dark chocolate in there. Very low price, particularly for a Scandinavian due to expiration date of May 28 of this year; don't know how many there are left though - at least a bottle, though there may be a box or two underneath it. They've had this large private order there in the clearance section for at least 3 years. Seems Weston/401 is the perfect location to cellar fine beers.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Noticed a few goodies on clearance last night.

Pauwel Kwak $2.85 - 330 ml, BB 20/03/2017. About 7 cases stacked on the floor.

Brùton Bianca $9.15 - 750 ml, BB 10/2016 (IIRC). 12 bottles on the shelf.

Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Weizenbock $8.75 - 750 ml, Bottled 05/09/2014. About 7 cases on the floor.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

beerstodiscover wrote:Noticed a few goodies on clearance last night.

Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Weizenbock $8.75 - 750 ml, Bottled 05/09/2014. About 7 cases on the floor.
I'd be curious how the weizenbock tastes a couple years after brewing. I always thought it was heading towards barleywine territory, so maybe it holds up?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've had that beer with more age than that on it and yes, it does hold up.

The trouble with beer that old from the BO is you have no idea how it was stored. If they're still in cases at least your odds of it not being light struck are good.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Bobsy wrote:

I'd be curious how the weizenbock tastes a couple years after brewing. I always thought it was heading towards barleywine territory, so maybe it holds up?
Don't waste your money!

My dad brought me a few bottles as he frequents that location from time to time. Sad to say but the Weizenbock did not hold up due to storage I assume. Too badbecause you can really taste the remnants of a once delicious, flavourful and full bodied beer. Would love to try a fresh or properly aged one.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

ry_kinney wrote:Don't waste your money!
How was the LTM beer tasting?

I cracked a bottle of the Kwak and Bruton and they were both tasty, though I've never had them fresh.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

beerstodiscover wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:Don't waste your money!
How was the LTM beer tasting?

I cracked a bottle of the Kwak and Bruton and they were both tasty, though I've never had them fresh.
Oh thst's the one I was describing. You get hints of a once great beer but it has an underlying rotten funk that I just couldn't get over. It was a drainpour for me.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

ry_kinney wrote:It was a drainpour for me.
Yeah I cracked one last night. Tasted almost like syrup, very sugary, flat. I got through half a glass. Flavours and nose are nice, but just way too intensely sweet for me. This is a bottle to be split 5 ways or poured on pancakes. Many reviews describe as such, but perhaps it's more drinkable fresh/property aged.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

ry_kinney wrote:
Bobsy wrote:

Don't waste your money!

My dad brought me a few bottles as he frequents that location from time to time. Sad to say but the Weizenbock did not hold up due to storage I assume. Too badbecause you can really taste the remnants of a once delicious, flavourful and full bodied beer. Would love to try a fresh or properly aged one.
Thanks for the warning - I'll give this one a miss. Crossroads isn't massively out of my way on the way home, but I was only considering going because there's a lack of heavy hitters at the lobo right now, and I was hoping the LTM might fit the bill if aged okay.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

As of yesterday, there were still 5 cases of the LTM Weizenbock, and about 10 bottles of Kwak. More interestingly, there were 15 bottles of DDC Exorciste. Around $10.85 for 750ml:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dieu-du-ci ... te/185695/

I still don't get this store - it's so completely random.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

Has Exorciste ever been listed in Ontario? I don't recall seeing it before.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Thanks for the tip. I picked up a bottle of Exorciste today. I wonder when it was bottled. Couldn't find any date and most versions seem to be 6% while this batch is 5%.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

I just happened upon a case of 2013-2014 Boon Oude Geuze. 375 ml bottles @ $4.25 each.

Seven bottles left on the shelf for anyone quick enough.