Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days 2016

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

For those that went to the session this afternoon, how was the pricing? Were all US beer 2 tokens per 4 oz. pour or were only the high ABV beers 2 tokens?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Also, did anything kick?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

ChrisK wrote:
J343MY wrote:Make sure you guys all try our (Barncat) Durian Saison, as it may be the greatest beer mankind has ever created.
I plan on trying it but I feel like you're massaging the truth a little bit :roll:
its really more of a smelling beer to be honest.....try to get right in there and soak in the durian fragrance

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I was at the Friday night session. I had a great time and sampled many lovely casks. Several of the most sought after were kicked early on. (All the Cascade and a good percentage of the imports in general). As expected, more and more casks kicked by the end of the night. I heard from some people that some casks were being closed to save for other sessions.

I can confirm they were charging 2 tokens for all import pours.

Highlights:
Hair of the Dog - Doggie Claws
Four Winds - Nectarous
Four Winds - Pequeno Cabo
Le Trou Du Diable - Le Coq
Barncat Artisan Ales - Durian Saison
Stone City Ales - Everything is Purple

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Shit...I hope there's some Cascade left for tonight :(

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

matt7215 wrote:its really more of a smelling beer to be honest.....try to get right in there and soak in the durian fragrance
I've never had any contact with Durian before trying it last night. I enjoyed it. The smell is odd, a friend said it reminded him of feet. Tasted great with some tropical fruitiness.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Anyone know if their is a discount for going to Sunday's session if you went to one of the previous this year? I didn't see anything about it while at cask days

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

DeMarco wrote:Anyone know if their is a discount for going to Sunday's session if you went to one of the previous this year? I didn't see anything about it while at cask days
It was on the back of the voting ticket that was in the glass with the guide and tokens. $5 admission to Sunday.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

We found that by about 8:30 on the Friday session, many of the sought-after casks from Québec were done :( Maybe they were being closed, to save for later sessions.

Overall, we thought this was a terrific Friday session, with many great domestics as well as imports. The atmosphere was energetic, the food was good, and it didn't feel quite as crowded as last year. The IPA Challenge area was very busy.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Do you have to print your ticket or is it ok on your phone?

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Gavin wrote:Do you have to print your ticket or is it ok on your phone?
You have to print your Session ticket and your shuttle ticket.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

zane9 wrote:
Gavin wrote:Do you have to print your ticket or is it ok on your phone?
You have to print your Session ticket and your shuttle ticket.
Good to know, thanks.

4ster

Post by 4ster »

Thinking of seeing what (if any) is left Sunday. Anyone with any ideas what the status is on remaining casks.

It'd be awesome if they had someone keeping a live spreadsheet or online list of what casks were still flowing......
Last edited by 4ster on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I went with a list of about 25 beers that I wanted to try and all but two of them had sold out by the start of last night's session. No one's fault, of course, but I'm kicking myself for not going on Friday now.

bradb

Post by bradb »

This year was my first time attending, had quite an excellent time. I can see the Friday afternoon session becoming tradition for me. It was definitely more my vibe.

I had only sort of glanced and picked out a handful of casks I wanted to try, and was (obviously) able to. Although at one point selection paralysis took over.

I read reviews of previous years and there seemed to always be a complaint; my only one this year was standing in the rain prior to entry but even then that wasn't so bad.