Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cowbell Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Cowbell Brewing

Post by Cass »

Don't think I've seen Cowbell talked about on the site. I had a beer with Steve Rich this week and he talked to me about what's happening with Cowbell, which I admit I did not know much about.

From the looks of the design rendering of the facility now under construction (below) and the resources behind the operation, it certainly seems impressive.

Any thoughts from the group?

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Had the kolsch...nothing to go crazy about...will take a wait and see approach
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

https://goo.gl/1LcnPP

Increase your reward and stop at Barncat, Blackswan and Half Hours on Earth on your way there.
Top it off with dinner an Milos on your way home and you are guaranteed a great day out!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

That appears to be a massive facility (and a very nice one) to have in the middle of nowhere...

StephenRich

Post by StephenRich »

Hey Guys, here's a pic I took yesterday on sight to you can see our progress so far on the building.

Beams started going up last week, and will take another 3 weeks or so to complete. The weather has been amazing, so our crew is making great progress.

More to come ;)

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Couldn’t find a Cowbell review thread so I’ll place this here:

I’ve been to Cowbell 3 times now. Each time I’ve been impressed with the atmosphere and food, and the beers have been decent if a bit tame. Overall it’s been a positive experience.

However when I was there last Sunday I went to the beer fridge and found 3 750ml beers. One was a barelywine, one a bourbon barrel barleywine and finally a bourbon barrel imperial stout. No prices were listed so I brought all 3 to the counter, cause I love both barleywines and impy stouts. Now I figured the barelywine would be around $10-12 and both bourbon barrel beers would be $14-17. Boy was I wrong!

Stout: $17
Barelywine: $25
Bourbon barleywine: $30

Seriously, that’s freakin’ ridiculous! And I told the girl so at the counter (to which she shrugged). I bought the stout, thinking it was the only one reasonably priced. Drinking it now and what a let down... at 8.4% (didn’t noticed when I bought it) it’s much too thin. Overall this is my first poor experience with Cowbell and one I don’t see them overcoming. I will be recommending with a caveat henceforth.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Those prices do seem a bit extreme. What I’ve had from
Cowbell(through the lcbo) I’ve enjoyed quite a bit...actually a lot more than I thought I was going to. Haven’t had the chance to visit the brewery yet, although it looks like a great place. When I do, I’ll have to be sure and check the prices :o

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Couldn’t find a Cowbell review thread so I’ll place this here:

I’ve been to Cowbell 3 times now. Each time I’ve been impressed with the atmosphere and food, and the beers have been decent if a bit tame. Overall it’s been a positive experience.

However when I was there last Sunday I went to the beer fridge and found 3 750ml beers. One was a barelywine, one a bourbon barrel barleywine and finally a bourbon barrel imperial stout. No prices were listed so I brought all 3 to the counter, cause I love both barleywines and impy stouts. Now I figured the barelywine would be around $10-12 and both bourbon barrel beers would be $14-17. Boy was I wrong!

Seriously, that’s freakin’ ridiculous! And I told the girl so at the counter (to which she shrugged). I bought the stout, thinking it was the only one reasonably priced. Drinking it now and what a let down... at 8.4% (didn’t noticed when I bought it) it’s much too thin. Overall this is my first poor experience with Cowbell and one I don’t see them overcoming. I will be recommending with a caveat henceforth.
Duggan's had a $25 750ml barleywine made with hops grown on site. I too passed on it, given the price. I wonder what it tastes like compared to Cowbell's...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: I figured the barelywine would be around $10-12 and both bourbon barrel beers would be $14-17. Boy was I wrong!

Seriously, that’s freakin’ ridiculous!
Hahahahahahaa.... You can buy some extremely nice Port and Sherry for that volumetric cost. Like aged 10 to 20 years in some cases. Some good single malts.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote: I figured the barelywine would be around $10-12 and both bourbon barrel beers would be $14-17. Boy was I wrong!

Bourbon barleywine: $30drunk

Hahahahahahaa.... You can buy some extremely nice Port and Sherry for that volumetric cost. Like aged 10 to 20 years in some cases. Some good single malts.
Sherry perhaps, Port would be a stretch, but there is no way you can get a good single malt in Ontario for 30 bucks (unless you're talking 200-375ml :wink: ) ... $30 won't even get you a good blend (i.e. one not meant to be drowned in soda and ice)
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Sherry perhaps, Port would be a stretch, but there is no way you can get a good single malt in Ontario for 30 bucks (unless you're talking 200-375ml :wink: ) ... $30 won't even get you a good blend (i.e. one not meant to be drowned in soda and ice)
Actually, I misread the post bottle sizes '3 750ml' as 375ml. However the Burmester 10 year Tawny Port was about $28 / 750ml, and the C. Da Silva 10 Year I bought last week was on clearout about $29, same size. How can a bourbon barleywine possibly cost more.

I realize there's a pretty big continuum with Ports. Today I got the Burmester 20 year old which was $59, kind of a steal given the production process and costs / losses associated with such long cask aging.

And to your latter point I was thinking of affordable ('good' not great) <> $60 SM scotches. I just misread about volume. :roll:
In Beerum Veritas

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

I think their Juicy Hazy IPA is a fair value at the sub-$4 price point