Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Can some explain how cask days manages to get beers from modern times, cascade, etc?

Why dont places like biermarkt do this year round?

zane9

Post by zane9 »

spinrsx wrote:Can some explain how cask days manages to get beers from modern times, cascade, etc?

Cask Days has likely built a good reputation over the past 11 years, and brewers are eager to get in. The UK casks came over in 2013, and I'm not surprised that Oregon and California sent casks this year. Have a look at Cask Days history. Each year seems to build on the success of the previous one.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

My understanding is that a lot of effort goes into collecting the casks and compiling a shipment. I am guessing that makes it significantly more cost effective to ship vs. smaller shipments.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Morana power

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:Can some explain how cask days manages to get beers from modern times, cascade, etc?

Cask Days/Volo/Keep6 all the same people. Keep6 is an importer.

What they do is have someone organize and solicit beers for Cask Days for each region. Cask Ale LA is the one who curates and organizes all the beer from California (he used to work at Volo). Gigantic Brewing did it for Oregon and Thin Man did it for New York I think.

Modern Times and Cascade have distro in BC and AB. Their beer is not hard to get. Cascade is coming to Ontario soon.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I figure I'll just put this here as this is clearly the most active forum, and it's a 'general' thread of sorts....

I picked up some Karma Citra cans canned on Oct. 20th and I think it's drinking most excellently.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Every can of Karma Citra I've had since after the first has been excellent.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Apart from when the lcbo had the 3F, GI Vanilla Rye, founders feature, Westy 12 - the stuff they have right now and the stuff coming in as part of the fall/winter release is pretty exciting all things considered.

It's by no means a BevMo or a Total wine, but the lcbo has improved a bit over the last 5 years.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I don't know has it? Yes they're getting in better stuff but that's usually contained to only a few stores..like someone else said in the states you can get Lagunitas sucks at a 7/11...just sayin...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

mgmoney wrote:I don't know has it? Yes they're getting in better stuff but that's usually contained to only a few stores..like someone else said in the states you can get Lagunitas sucks at a 7/11...just sayin...
I think it's been improving a bit relative to the past couple years. Things were decent around 2010-2013 or so, but then the quality of releases seemed to take a nosedive for a while there. Overall there's still a long way to go, although I'll say it finally seems like they're getting it with regards to dark beers. I can't remember a time when there were so many porter and stout options, although I'd kill for a return of O'Hara's Irish Stout. Black Butte Porter too, those were some good years.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

seangm wrote:
mgmoney wrote:I don't know has it? Yes they're getting in better stuff but that's usually contained to only a few stores..like someone else said in the states you can get Lagunitas sucks at a 7/11...just sayin...
I think it's been improving a bit relative to the past couple years. Things were decent around 2010-2013 or so, but then the quality of releases seemed to take a nosedive for a while there. Overall there's still a long way to go, although I'll say it finally seems like they're getting it with regards to dark beers. I can't remember a time when there were so many porter and stout options, although I'd kill for a return of O'Hara's Irish Stout. Black Butte Porter too, those were some good years.
My wife is the beer rep at her LCBO store. I can confirm O'Hara's is returning and I can't wait. :)
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

CoolB wrote:
seangm wrote:
My wife is the beer rep at her LCBO store. I can confirm O'Hara's is returning and I can't wait. :)
That is excellent news, you've just made my day.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I noticed when I updated the LCBO app last week it said inventory would reflect "live" stock levels updated every 15 mins or so. It seems to be working. The Ten Fidy I picked up this afternoon is reflected online at the Bayview Village LCBO. Nice!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. is the website doing the same thing?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

How will this affect Drinkvine?