Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days 2016

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bradb

Post by bradb »

J343MY wrote:Make sure you guys all try our (Barncat) Durian Saison, as it may be the greatest beer mankind has ever created.
It was always going to be polarizing :) did it turn out as you had hoped?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

bradb wrote:
J343MY wrote:Make sure you guys all try our (Barncat) Durian Saison, as it may be the greatest beer mankind has ever created.
It was always going to be polarizing :) did it turn out as you had hoped?
yes, it turned out exactly how we were hoping it would. We knew most people wouldn't like it, but we also knew it would be the only Durian beer at Cask Days.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

One nitpick about this years Cask Days, the pre-purchased tokens. On Friday there was some confusion at the registration area about redeeming the pre-purchase there. I did get my tokens there. On Saturday though I was told that I'd have to get the tokens inside the venue. I thought the point of pre-purchasing tokens was to streamline and save time. Waiting in line in the venue to redeem the ticket isn't saving time. The pre-purchased tokens should be provided when I register.

Other than that, the event was pretty good! Friday afternoon was fantastic. Saturday afternoon less so (with more people there.) I pretty much tried most of the wackier beers minus the durian, because reasons. Maybe next year.

Oh, a bit of a dick move by Evergreen telling those "terrible Cask Days" people that they can't use their bus. Rather last minute. "They have their own bus!" Which isn't wholly accurate because if you didn't buy that Cask Days bus ticket ahead of time you couldn't use the Cask Days bus. Several other unpleasant things were also said by the afternoon bus driver. Some of which is definitely warranted for some Cask Days patrons but certainly not worth a blanket statement. Regardless I quietly got on the Evergreen buses both ways and both days (part of my Cask Days admission does go towards Evergreen so I am a customer of theirs so riding the bus is fair as far as I'm concerned.) It was rather sad though seeing the bus driver turn away an older couple because they were holding a Cask Days glass.
lister

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

lister wrote: I pretty much tried most of the wackier beers minus the durian, because reasons. Maybe next year.
That was most likely your only shot at the durian saison, if we send beer next year durian will not be one of them.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote: Oh, a bit of a dick move by Evergreen telling those "terrible Cask Days" people that they can't use their bus. Rather last minute. "They have their own bus!" Which isn't wholly accurate because if you didn't buy that Cask Days bus ticket ahead of time you couldn't use the Cask Days bus. Several other unpleasant things were also said by the afternoon bus driver. Some of which is definitely warranted for some Cask Days patrons but certainly not worth a blanket statement. Regardless I quietly got on the Evergreen buses both ways and both days (part of my Cask Days admission does go towards Evergreen so I am a customer of theirs so riding the bus is fair as far as I'm concerned.) It was rather sad though seeing the bus driver turn away an older couple because they were holding a Cask Days glass.
go for a walk and look at the ponds.
they can only turn you away for drunken conduct

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Does anyone know why the alcohol levels weren't displayed on the casks? I heard that the B.C. section was the only one to do it this year. The only indication of strength I saw was the red dot for high-octane items.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

TwoPint wrote:Does anyone know why the alcohol levels weren't displayed on the casks? I heard that the B.C. section was the only one to do it this year. The only indication of strength I saw was the red dot for high-octane items.
This is my biggest complaint. A red dot does not tell me the beer is 15%. I would have passed on a few beers if I had known the exact ABV.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
TwoPint wrote:Does anyone know why the alcohol levels weren't displayed on the casks? I heard that the B.C. section was the only one to do it this year. The only indication of strength I saw was the red dot for high-octane items.
This is my biggest complaint. A red dot does not tell me the beer is 15%. I would have passed on a few beers if I had known the exact ABV.
Interesting...I never noticed that. Was the % listed in the little program? I tossed mine out already so can't check....I didn't let strength dissuade me from my choices, but I guess that was a luxury of going to numerous sessions and not having to "cram them in".

zane9

Post by zane9 »

El Pinguino wrote:
Interesting...I never noticed that. Was the % listed in the little program? I tossed mine out already so can't check....I didn't let strength dissuade me from my choices, but I guess that was a luxury of going to numerous sessions and not having to "cram them in".
No, the program didn't list the %. I'd like this to be part of next year's guide. I'm sure the brewers could provide this info, and the program could contain a disclaimer that Cask Day's can't 100% verify the ABV.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I believe the red dot, at least in the cider section, was meant for 2 tokens. That's the deal on friday, but it seems each day was different.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

DeMarco wrote:I believe the red dot, at least in the cider section, was meant for 2 tokens. That's the deal on friday, but it seems each day was different.
In previous years, I think the two concepts were conflated - that is, higher ABV Canadian beers were also two tokens. This year I think all of the Canadian beers I had were only 1 token, and I know for sure some of them must have been high ABV. TBH, I didn't even notice the red dots this year until Sunday's session, at which point everything was 1 token. But I will echo the sentiments that ABV should be disclosed. I'm actually quite surprised that they didn't do so for social responsibility reasons if nothing else.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Did anyone get a picture of the Burdock Brett Peach cask? Anyone know if it is their regular Peach Berliner or something else?

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

matt7215 wrote:
ChrisK wrote:
I plan on trying it but I feel like you're massaging the truth a little bit :roll:
its really more of a smelling beer to be honest.....try to get right in there and soak in the durian fragrance
Oh did I ever get in there and soak it up. Vibrant notes of feet, fish, and garbage juice abounded in kind of a pleasant way that never engaged my gag reflex. If I had to sum up the experience I'd say it was fun.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Just seeing this thread now, sorry for the belated response. I DID try the Durian Saison, on your say so, as my first beer. Of course, having never been to Malaysia, I had no idea what durian is. It was absolutely revolting! Sickening. One sip then my first and only drain pour. So thanks for that. Now I know.

Couldn't agree more, Lister, about the Evergreen shuttle and their very bad attitude. At 6:00 pm on Friday at Broadview, the driver tried to bar me from a shuttle that had exactly ONE other person aboard. I just barged on anyway and dared her to throw me off, which she declined to do. But, as you say, several other Cask Days attendees were not so bold. Absolutely ridiculous. I did give her a tip upon arrival at Evergreen though. Took a cab home.

Finally, also agree about the ABV. I have never been more hungover on three pints in my entire life :o Have a feeling those pints may have averaged about 10% abv.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

midlife crisis wrote:
Finally, also agree about the ABV. I have never been more hungover on three pints in my entire life :o Have a feeling those pints may have averaged about 10% abv.
Yeah what was the deal with that? Myself and a buddy restrained ourselves pretty well at the event and still had to worship the porcelain gods like a couple frat boys after the event. I drink high ABV beers all the time so not sure what it was with the Cask stuff that got to me so much this year.
^^^Hop-head ^^^