Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

jeremyg wrote:not open monday's anymore?!
pretty sure they had a staff party and closed up.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
That's funny, last TWO times I went by Folly Brew Pub (formerly Habits) it was randomly closed with a note on the door. Luckily it wasn't terribly far out of my way.
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

atomeyes wrote:
according to the website they're closed mondays unless it's specifically for this week

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

jeremyg wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
according to the website they're closed mondays unless it's specifically for this week
I think that was just specifically this week. They seem to be having website transition issues, so I'm not sure I would take that to mean it applies generally. Given that they don't usually close on holidays and are busy every day of the week, I don't know why they'd start closing Mondays.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

The hours on the temporary site are back to normal, Mondays are still open as usual.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

no BOYD this year :(

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

distr0 wrote:no BOYD this year :(
Tragic. I've noticed a few of the usual annual Bellwoods releases have slipped this fall and assumed it was due to their focus on the new locations. I was really hoping BOYD was still in the cards - there is no real substitute available in Ontario and this is a huge void.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Provost Drunk wrote:
distr0 wrote:no BOYD this year :(
Tragic. I've noticed a few of the usual annual Bellwoods releases have slipped this fall and assumed it was due to their focus on the new locations. I was really hoping BOYD was still in the cards - there is no real substitute available in Ontario and this is a huge void.
Definitely spent less money at Bellwoods the past few months than I would normally expect. So I can't complain in that regard.

BOYD is a favourite of mine though, so that is bad news. Maybe they'll bring Blitzen back this year...but I doubt it. Had hoped it would be an annual holiday beer, but that hasn't been around the past couple years either.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

True - my wallet is relieved by the news. I've probably spent more at the LCBO recently than usual and I'm poised to do more of the same when the rest of fall release and winter release hit the shelves.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Also - notwithstanding my comment above about there being no substitute for BOYD - I am going to make an effort to try that Outliers oak aged imperial stout. Description sounds pretty good.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Provost Drunk wrote:Also - notwithstanding my comment above about there being no substitute for BOYD - I am going to make an effort to try that Outliers oak aged imperial stout. Description sounds pretty good.
Ya that does sound good...if I was drinking this month I'd be over there trying it.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

El Pinguino wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Also - notwithstanding my comment above about there being no substitute for BOYD - I am going to make an effort to try that Outliers oak aged imperial stout. Description sounds pretty good.
Ya that does sound good...if I was drinking this month I'd be over there trying it.
Made the trek out to Bellwoods to try Outliers #1. It's very good, but certainly not BOYD and probably not anything you need to feel too bad about missing. I found the bouquet totally dominated by the oak. Certainly, there was a lot of oak on the palate as well but it wasn't a total barrel bomb. I got some definite smoke and tar flavours (in a good way) and balanced by some sweeter toffee notes. Less chocolate character than BOYD and a harsher finish.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Agreed re: Outliers. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as BOYD, and it was a whopping $13 for an 8oz pour. I had stopped by in the middle of a pub crawl, if I wasn't already liquored up I probably wouldn't have paid that (or would have split it with a friend).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Provost Drunk wrote:Less chocolate character than BOYD and a harsher finish.
BW Inventory low, have a 2013 Bring Out Your Dead, first bottling - how's this stuff holding up?!

Also a 3 Minutes To Midnight (Cherry/Raspberry) 2015 & a Skeleton Key 2014. I might keep the 3 minutes another year to see if it smooths out all that raspberry (or see if if it gets even weirder.) I don't think Skeleton will ever get much better OR worse, it's amazing.

I think we will need to accept that some historic batches / bottlings from BW are simply one-offs, who knows when to return or if they will be much chamged. I'd love to have a few more 2013 Lambda for example, I underestimated that one it's very unique.

I anticipate good things to come regardless Bellwoods. Love ya.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Less chocolate character than BOYD and a harsher finish.
BW Inventory low, have a 2013 Bring Out Your Dead, first bottling - how's this stuff holding up?!

Also a 3 Minutes To Midnight (Cherry/Raspberry) 2015 & a Skeleton Key 2014. I might keep the 3 minutes another year to see if it smooths out all that raspberry (or see if if it gets even weirder.) I don't think Skeleton will ever get much better OR worse, it's amazing.

I think we will need to accept that some historic batches / bottlings from BW are simply one-offs, who knows when to return or if they will be much chamged. I'd love to have a few more 2013 Lambda for example, I underestimated that one it's very unique.

I anticipate good things to come regardless Bellwoods. Love ya.
Sadly, I was a bit late to the BOYD party and missed out on the 2013 vintage. Would still be curious to hear how their drinking. I do have a couple of 3 MTMs (of both the cherry/raspberry and straight raspberry variety). I plan to crack one of each sometime this winter and sit on the remaining bottles to see what happens - will let you know how they've changed!