Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street and Amsterdam seasonals

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Mill Street and Amsterdam seasonals

Post by pootz »

Has anyone tried the new Mill street barley wine? Ditto for the Amsterdam Oktoberfest or Kerstmas beer?
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:Has anyone tried the new Mill street barley wine? Ditto for the Amsterdam Oktoberfest or Kerstmas beer?
I had a taste of the Mill Street Barley Wine a couple of weeks ago, and I really liked it. Here are my notes:

"Striking dark copper colour with a wispy head. Rich aroma of warm wiskey, butterscotch & fruity malts. Flavour is big and warming, with lots of caramel/botterscotch and some dark fruit, and a bit of nuttiness. The alcohol is a little harsh in the finish, but I think some aging would take care of that nicely. I’ll need to get a couple of bottles to lay down for a while..."

I haven't tried either of the Amsterdam beers this year, but I had the Kerstmis in 2002. Here's what I thought at the time:

"Nice reddish-brown colour, and a small beige head that quickly disappears. Initial aroma is sweet and nutty malt, which develops a tasty hint of butterscotch as the beer warms. Toffee on the tongue, with a warm mixture of licorice and alcohol in the finish. Lighter than most European Xmas beers that I've had, but still a nice brew, and definately one of the highlights of the Amsterdam line."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I often go by there for lunch & I'll sample the Kerstmis if it's on.

The BW is good stuff, the '04 seemed a little more interesting but that's comparing a brand new to an eight month old, not fair really.
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

How does the MS barleywine compare to last years version? similar or different recipe?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Thanks Guys think I'll take a beer run this week end and stock in some Mill Street and Amsterdam seasonals...I still have 4 2004 MS Barley wine but I did remember savoring the Amsterdam smoked oktoberfest, their fruity high test Kerstmas and the spring bock...all good stuff..even if their other brews are on the watery side.
Last edited by pootz on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

A wrote:How does the MS barleywine compare to last years version? similar or different recipe?
I haven't done a side-by-side, but it seemed fairly similar. Not sure if the recipe changed much, but this year's is 11% vs. last year's 10%.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:this year's is 11% vs. last year's 10%.
"Well, this one goes to eleven!" - Nigel Tufnel
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

The only cafe has the Millstreet barley wine in stock. Was by there last week and sampled one. It was delicious and I savoured in for a full twenty minutes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

And it's cheap at The Only. Like me!!
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Is the Barley Wine for sale in bottles at Mill Street Brewery?

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

They had it last weekend in the single bottle 5.00 or the gift pack with a glass 9.00 (I think). I had to ask for the single bottle as it was not in plain view

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Was the Helles Bock available?
Aventinus rules!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote="pootz"]Thanks Guys think I'll take a beer run this week end

how are you travelling?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

northyorksammy wrote:
pootz wrote:Thanks Guys think I'll take a beer run this week end

how are you travelling?
I didn't :(
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

For those who may be looking for the Mill Street Barley Wine gift pack, here is some direct info from the brewery:

"Our barley wine gift pack is now available for $10.95 at a few LCBO's around town, including:

Queen's Quay
Summerhill
Front Street
Dufferin & Wilson
Avenue & Lawrence
Guelph
Chapters Plaza - Peterborough

That's all we've got carrying it so far. Summerhill received 2,000 units!! Probably too many in one store. We're going to try to spread it around this week."