Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ransack the universe

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Ransack the universe

Post by mgmoney »

Guys I've tried several times to like this one especially since it seems to get so much love on here, but it just doesn't do it for me.
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I find this beer is good up until about a month from canning.. after that it falls off fast

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

In my experience Ransack holds up better than most IPAs, even after a month. I'd say it's a sweeter IPA, I get lots of honey flavour from it and it's been a go-to for almost a year now for me.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Hops seem to be a very individual thing for taste and then you add in where on the timeline you are for optimum taste of those hops. Sometimes when I get this I really enjoy the melon, pine, bitterness which plays off a fairly strong malt (sweet) base.

Other times it just tastes sweet with a bitterness that is also going on in the glass.

For me, many IPAs can taste "meh" with out the hops shinning but this one drifts into too sweet without that balance.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

far and away collective arts' best offering and even then...

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Once you've had some of the better IPA being produced elsewhere Ransack kind of loses its luster. I like it when I can find it fresh (luckily almost never a problem as of late) but I'll usually pass it up over whichever Great Lakes Seasonal IPA is in the LCBO at the time.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I'd still take a headstock over a Ransack but it's all in all not a bad beer.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

CoolB wrote:I'd still take a headstock over a Ransack but it's all in all not a bad beer.
headstock hasn't been the same since they moved production to hamilton... in fact, I find ransack to be much more like "golden era" headstock than headstock is itself! I'm not sure if the brewer still works with nickelbrook or is full time collective arts now?
anyhow, ransack is my go to, constant production, ipa these days.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:
CoolB wrote:I'd still take a headstock over a Ransack but it's all in all not a bad beer.
headstock hasn't been the same since they moved production to hamilton... in fact, I find ransack to be much more like "golden era" headstock than headstock is itself! I'm not sure if the brewer still works with nickelbrook or is full time collective arts now?
I found headstock went through a short run of inconstancy but as of recent I'm quite happy with it again.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:
headstock hasn't been the same since they moved production to hamilton... in fact, I find ransack to be much more like "golden era" headstock than headstock is itself! I'm not sure if the brewer still works with nickelbrook or is full time collective arts nowhere ?
Nope, still the same brewer. Just your bias you're tasting :lol:
(Jokes, all in good fun!)
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge