Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

I've had a couple 3MTM (both versions) over the past several months, I think they have aged excellently. Around release I got a lot of diacetyl/butteryness that put me off, especially from the cherry version. It's completely gone now, delicious and decadent like they are meant to be.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Apparently the new location arrangements on Dupont Street have kept some things in barrels a bit longer, hence less regular releases.
In Beerum Veritas

skootles

Post by skootles »

I had one of the Raspberry 3 Minutes to Midnight the other night and it was nice and smooth. I also had some Donkey Venom (2014 / batch #2) and Barn Owl #3. Both were also drinking quite well, the Donkey Venom was less sour / funky and more mellow and the Barn Owl was still nice and crisp with lots of peach flavour.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

Nice release just announced for tomorrow (Dec 22) - cherry Farmageddon and 3 Minutes to Midnight - $14 each; 12 bottle limits on both. Available at both bottle shops.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

surprised there has been 0 talk here of the new location opening last weekend

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

gjkerr wrote:Nice release just announced for tomorrow (Dec 22) - cherry Farmageddon and 3 Minutes to Midnight - $14 each; 12 bottle limits on both. Available at both bottle shops.
Prices keep going up. They ramp up production AND increase prices?!? $14 for a non-BA stout is a bit silly. They will eventually need to find distro cause they ain't gonna be able to sell the increased volume at these prices from two locations.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

They are starting to do keg distro outside of the GTA, so who knows what'll happen.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

gjkerr wrote:Nice release just announced for tomorrow (Dec 22) - cherry Farmageddon and 3 Minutes to Midnight - $14 each; 12 bottle limits on both. Available at both bottle shops.
I'm inclined to grab one each.
I almost gifted away on unsuspecting but possibly appreciative friends a 2015 3MTM which is the one doused with raspberry fruit overkill, but I stopped myself. I really want to try it in a year or so and see if other flavors emerge, such as the promised cocoa nibs.

The Farmageddon Cherry just sounds fine-o-rfic. Montmorency cherry, baby. Let's go.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

BakaGaijin wrote: Prices keep going up. They ramp up production AND increase prices?!? $14 for a non-BA stout is a bit silly.
3MTM is barrel aged

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Prices keep going up. They ramp up production AND increase prices?!? $14 for a non-BA stout is a bit silly. They will eventually need to find distro cause they ain't gonna be able to sell the increased volume at these prices from two locations.
maybe make a google before ya rant. :)

you may want to do a 2 hour road trip to Buffalo to see how much upper echelon barrel-aged stouts with fruit sell for. even compare Bellwoods to the 33 cL bottles from Allagash (that will cost you close to $20 cnd) before you cry about beer prices.

Winey Bastard: 750 mL, $15. bigger, but no fruit. and not as good of a beer as 3MTM. but please, tell us more.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bellwoods' prices.
There is absolutely something wrong with consumers' expectations pricewise when it comes to barrel aged and fruit-addition beer. especially when made in downtown Toronto (which is where 3MTM was made). we pay Toronto rents for these beer, so if you want Wisconsin or Michigan prices for BA beer? go there and support their industry and leave more Ontario cherry beer for us fuckers

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

BakaGaijin wrote:
same prices as the last couple times

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

atomeyes wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
maybe make a google before ya rant. :)

you may want to do a 2 hour road trip to Buffalo to see how much upper echelon barrel-aged stouts with fruit sell for. even compare Bellwoods to the 33 cL bottles from Allagash (that will cost you close to $20 cnd) before you cry about beer prices.

Winey Bastard: 750 mL, $15. bigger, but no fruit. and not as good of a beer as 3MTM. but please, tell us more.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bellwoods' prices.
There is absolutely something wrong with consumers' expectations pricewise when it comes to barrel aged and fruit-addition beer. especially when made in downtown Toronto (which is where 3MTM was made). we pay Toronto rents for these beer, so if you want Wisconsin or Michigan prices for BA beer? go there and support their industry and leave more Ontario cherry beer for us fuckers
yeppppppppppppppp

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:Winey Bastard: 750 mL, $15. bigger, but no fruit.
That's weird, it was tasting a lot like Pinot Noir grapes! 8) Agree about pricing, if you want to pay half as much for the same volume of Stout buy Ten Fidy and forego the barrel or fruit treatments. We have some good choices right now, there's no problem here.
In Beerum Veritas

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Both Cherry Farmageddon and 3MTM were $12 when they were released last year. That's a $2 price increase this year. My guess is the rising cost of running a business in Ontario combined with opening a new location is responsible for the price increase.

I'll buy a couple bottles of each, but buying the max 12 bottle allotment is pretty expensive.

You can't compare Canadian and American prices on any products, especially alcohol. Some beers are far more expensive there and some are almost half the price.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

some of this board's crap-on-the-premium-local-brewers-but-praise-the-same-crappy-MeThree-lager posters will have a petit mal seizure when they'll see our Cascade prices. then we'll see Lake of Bays and Trafalgar sales go through the roof as an idiotic knee-jerk response.

god bless you all.