Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Damn you lucky ducks. No way I'm shelling out $35 for this.

After I got that reply from LCBO about the exclusive Gillian event, I called the store anyways to see if they they had it on hand. The person who helped me couldn't find it so I never bothered. Looks like I missed out. Nothing tastes better than mistakenly under priced beer.

My case of Lindemans Cuvee Rene, comes to mind, for which I paid $4 a bottle. I think in the LCBO actually sold out of that one before they fixed the price to $7.

Seriously how does something like this continue to happen?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

@ JP having his two Gillian confiscated - Shelf tags should be law in Ontario, I don't think you can charge more than the shelf price or the sticker price on something without risking legal sanctions.

But the other week two different Loblaw stores did charge me significantly higher than shelf / sale price (one it also happened weeks before, identical brand item) and IF the consumer catches them they invoke some voluntary scanner policy of accuracy, usually giving one of each overcharged items for free.
It seemed intentional because their cost of being caught is so limited (max $10) & they stand to make a good margin on the purchases that do go through. They essentially bribe you not to tell on them.

More on topic, the LCBO should be obligated to sell you the item, not withhold the item or increase the charge. This stuff should be taken seriously, on principle.
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:Damn you lucky ducks. No way I'm shelling out $35 for this. ... Nothing tastes better than mistakenly under priced beer.
My case of Lindemans Cuvee Rene, comes to mind, for which I paid $4 a bottle. I think in the LCBO actually sold out of that one before they fixed the price to $7.

Seriously how does something like this continue to happen?
How? I surmise they have no commitment to controlling losses and being efficient with our money, this is just one aspect of it we can actually see. Nothing is 'free' when the company is Crown-owned!

I agree this one won't be worth my $35. Just so much good stuff. High fives to anyone who scored it.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:@ JP having his two Gillian confiscated - Shelf tags should be law in Ontario, I don't think you can charge more than the shelf price or the sticker price on something without risking legal sanctions.

More on topic, the LCBO should be obligated to sell you the item, not withhold the item or increase the charge. This stuff should be taken seriously, on principle.
I have taken advantage of kgbo stores being slow to (do their job) and change shelf tags to reflect the computer price several times and have NEVER been refused the lower price.

If they had done that to me I would have taken a photo of the shelf tag and asked to speak the store manager - who happens to be a very reasonable chap. I'm almost certain he would have honored the $9.95 ... then made sure the tags were replaced asap! :lol:
@markhamwhisky

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:I agree this one won't be worth my $35. Just so much good stuff. High fives to anyone who scored it.
yes, yes, and yes
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Did Nickel Brook brew Gillian or something?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Amsterdam Pale Rider
Can 473 ml
Price: $3.10

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

spinrsx wrote:new at TBS

Amsterdam Pale Rider
Can 473 ml
Can anyone tell me what the hell Amsterdam is doing these days with all the beers that are essentially the same? What is the difference between Natural Blonde, 2017 Helles, 3 Speed Lager, Pale Rider, Starke Pils and Cruiser? Wouldn't about two (three at the most) of those suffice? Pick one bland golden lager and Cruiser, say.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

My guess is they are trying to attract restaurant sales by being a craft alternative to the Macros?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

midlife crisis wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the hell Amsterdam is doing these days with all the beers that are essentially the same?
Passively attracting suitors? :wink:
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

midlife crisis wrote:

Amsterdam Pale Rider
Can 473 ml
Can anyone tell me what the hell Amsterdam is doing these days with all the beers that are essentially the same? What is the difference between Natural Blonde, 2017 Helles, 3 Speed Lager, Pale Rider, Starke Pils and Cruiser? Wouldn't about two (three at the most) of those suffice? Pick one bland golden lager and Cruiser, say.

I had the same thought just about a week ago. Kind of frustrating, when you consider what they can be capable of.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:

Amsterdam Pale Rider
Can 473 ml

I had the same thought just about a week ago. Kind of frustrating, when you consider what they can be capable of.
Right! I remember voting for them as Best Ontario Brewery in the Golden Taps 3 or 4 years ago. Wouldn't dream of it now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Amsterdam the brewer folks are capable of pretty much. Amsterdam the business folks I can't help wonder if they need to cover some massive overhead after they moved to both Leaside and Harborfront.

Was not long ago they were in a nondescript old warehouse next to congested Bathurst & Lakeshore traffic.
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Starke Pils is probably the only thing i've enjoyed by them the past couple years

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yeah I was hopeful with their whole Farmhouse Series, but each one of them have been pretty meh. Just had the 18 Hands and it was the most meh of them all. Amsterdam are becoming a brewery where I find myself saying "can't love every beer" more and more often.

God I sound like such a picky bastard here lately. Maybe just because I've been spoiling myself with 'brewery only' beer from all over and enjoying the hell out of it.