Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ahh, cool. There were no seats or stools at the bar that I noticed....but I got there right when they were opening...so perhaps the "full" setup wasn't out.

Makes sense...it's a nice spot that makes a good first impression, compared to the cramped bottle shop at Ossington.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

The dark sour came out really well. Very light bodied, a bit roasty, and crushable with some subtle stouty notes coming through from the 3MTM cherries. Need more straight up sours from Bellwoods.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

RE: Hafis Road. You can have a small taste for free, but they also do 12oz pours for $5.00. There were no seats at the bar when I visited last Thursday, and it sounds like it was the same setup when El Pinguino went. "Try it & buy it" is definitely the idea – you can either stand at the bar or at one of the barrels while you sample/drink. I had a glass of Jelly King and chatted to some of the staff for a bit, then grabbed a few bottles and went on my merry way. Staff were very friendly and I like what they've done with the space. Well worth a visit if you live in the north or west end, or are passing through from out of town.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

ChrisK wrote:I just tasted the draft version of 3 Minutes to Midnight at Hafis rd this afternoon and I officially have no idea what people are talking about with regard to it being a "hot boozy mess" or something. No alcohol burn to speak of, no medicinal cherry flavor, good barrel character but not overwhelming. Maybe the bottles are different but there would need to be a huge disparity for it to be considered bad by any reasonable measure.
Agreed. Bottle I had was better than the previous vintage, imho. Cherry dialed down some, no booze.
People who are put off by or sensitive to "hot boozy messes" should avoid barrel aged stouts, and imperial stouts in general. Frankly, its annoying. Can't handle a flavor bomb? Gtfo and stop calling stuff boozy.

As for Hafis Rd location, the proximity to the 401 is genius for those passing by or through the traffic mess that is TO.
Ossington is still great... if you happen to be down there.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Echo the comments above about Hafis Road. Easy to get to (by car), lots of parking, very friendly staff who are generous with samples (tap and bottles) and a 12 oz. pour can also be purchased, as mentioned. Fantastic new option for anyone in north Toronto or the northern suburbs. For some reason I liked the new Dark Sour with Cherries better on tap at the brewery than I did at home from the bottle - does that even make any sense? Can sours be smoothed out by beer gas? Also, absolutely loved the Mandarina Bavaria and Triskel IPA I picked up on a whim - highly recommended while it is fresh.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

FEUO wrote:
ChrisK wrote:I just tasted the draft version of 3 Minutes to Midnight at Hafis rd this afternoon and I officially have no idea what people are talking about with regard to it being a "hot boozy mess" or something. No alcohol burn to speak of, no medicinal cherry flavor, good barrel character but not overwhelming. Maybe the bottles are different but there would need to be a huge disparity for it to be considered bad by any reasonable measure.
Agreed. Bottle I had was better than the previous vintage, imho. Cherry dialed down some, no booze.
People who are put off by or sensitive to "hot boozy messes" should avoid barrel aged stouts, and imperial stouts in general. Frankly, its annoying. Can't handle a flavor bomb? Gtfo and stop calling stuff boozy.

As for Hafis Rd location, the proximity to the 401 is genius for those passing by or through the traffic mess that is TO.

so, after reading your gentlemanly reply I thought I'd give another one of the 3mtm in my fridge another try. I really wanted to hate it just as much as I did last time and go on a fun metaphor laced rant... but, this one was ok. just ok, though. maybe I had a bad mouth night, maybe I had a bad bottle or maybe the beer has settled a bit... i don't know.
anyhow, I'm a big fan of the big stouts this time of year (Blood of Cthulhu? I'd drink that for breakfast). my fridge is full of imperials right now and I just think these 3mtm's are underwhelming and not particularly well made (especially considering the premium price).

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:
FEUO wrote:

so, after reading your gentlemanly reply I thought I'd give another one of the 3mtm in my fridge another try. I really wanted to hate it just as much as I did last time and go on a fun metaphor laced rant... but, this one was ok. just ok, though. maybe I had a bad mouth night, maybe I had a bad bottle or maybe the beer has settled a bit... i don't know.
anyhow, I'm a big fan of the big stouts this time of year (Blood of Cthulhu? I'd drink that for breakfast). my fridge is full of imperials right now and I just think these 3mtm's are underwhelming and not particularly well made (especially considering the premium price).
Because you don't enjoy them they are "not particularly well made"?
Ya, that must be it.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

FEUO wrote:
gordonpeterwiebe wrote: Because you don't enjoy them they are "not particularly well made"?
Ya, that must be it.
Just ignore his comments. We all have our biases towards or against certain breweries and he seems to have a fairly obvious predisposition to dislike Bellwoods beers, regardless of the style.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
FEUO wrote:
gordonpeterwiebe wrote: Because you don't enjoy them they are "not particularly well made"?
Ya, that must be it.
Just ignore his comments. We all have our biases towards or against certain breweries and he seems to have a fairly obvious predisposition to dislike Bellwoods beers, regardless of the style.

actually, I like to think that I don't have any bias, good or bad, towards any brewer. I only have a bias towards, good or bad, beer. heck, I used to rant and rave about nickelbrook and headstock... then, it became, in my opinion, crap (I'll buy one every couple of months to see if the magic is back - it's not). I usually love GLB tank ten IPA's... but, they'll put out an inconsistent bad batch now and then and I'll take note and take shots at it.

as I've said, I wish bellwoods made better beer... I'd love to drink lots of it. I love that they're local (to me), their design/branding is fantastic and their blog posts are fun and informative/educational. I just don't think they, generally, make very good or exceptional beers (with a rare exception).

oh, and, I thought this was a place to debate and talk about beer? not to tell people to GTFO, insult or dismiss them if they don't agree with your opinions (or your biases - geesh, the bellwoods fans are something else).
relax, it's beer. it's not personal.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have to support the above post as a well-reasoned and calmly-expressed view, and sadly the black & white thinking on a lot of discussion (along with Ad Hominem & verbal abuse) is a real embarrassment.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Farmhouse saison w/ brett lambicus being releaesed in about a month.

billverstein

Post by billverstein »

While I try my best to not comment in this thread, I will say that Hafis does have stools now!
Wasn't sure if it was allowed with the specific type of liquor license, but it seems to be okay.
You are allowed a "taste" of any of the 4 rotating draft beers for free, but pours up to 12oz are available for $5 (depending on the beer).
The intention isn't just to be a "Try it & Buy it" sort of place, but I'm sure some people find it nice to be able to sample a beer before buying it.
I'd imagine that come the spring and summer Hafis will become much more of an afternoon destination to hang around for a couple beers. Pet friendly as well!
Hopefully people can feel comfortable hanging around, having some small pours, getting a view of the equipment and facility, chatting with the staff and not feeling the fast "Take it and go" pace of the Ossington bottle shop.

Come join us!

(ps - Hi Marcus)

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote: actually, I like to think that I don't have any bias, good or bad, towards any brewer. I only have a bias towards, good or bad, beer. heck, I used to rant and rave about nickelbrook and headstock... then, it became, in my opinion, crap (I'll buy one every couple of months to see if the magic is back - it's not). I usually love GLB tank ten IPA's... but, they'll put out an inconsistent bad batch now and then and I'll take note and take shots at it.

as I've said, I wish bellwoods made better beer... I'd love to drink lots of it. I love that they're local (to me), their design/branding is fantastic and their blog posts are fun and informative/educational. I just don't think they, generally, make very good or exceptional beers (with a rare exception).

oh, and, I thought this was a place to debate and talk about beer? not to tell people to GTFO, insult or dismiss them if they don't agree with your opinions (or your biases - geesh, the bellwoods fans are something else).
relax, it's beer. it's not personal.
My sentiment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just an overall annoyance at the "boozy" label. Nothing to do with Bellwoods.
In my opinion, since we are allowed to have those here, is that some people misplace and misuse this term.
If you want me to insult you or dismiss you I will. But I am merely dismissing the "boozy" label people apply as lazy and akin to palate maturity (or immaturity).
But its ok for you to "take shots at" beers and breweries for inconsistency, but not ok for anyone else to second guess the accuracy of your claims (of inconsistent batches and what is good or bad)?
It must be so terrible to be you. Having to suffer through so much bad beer locally.

Belgian wrote:I have to support the above post as a well-reasoned and calmly-expressed view, and sadly the black & white thinking on a lot of discussion (along with Ad Hominem & verbal abuse) is a real embarrassment.
I'm glad you support it. Makes my day.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Grandma's Boy released today.

There's a great selection of brews at the Hafis location today, including the PEC IPA - one of the better IPAs I've had in recent months. Incidentally, the Hafis location is great, but I can't imagine it getting much foot traffic given its location in a quasi-industrial area, Can't complain about a 6 minute diversion off the 401 though...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Bobsy wrote:Grandma's Boy released today.

There's a great selection of brews at the Hafis location today, including the PEC IPA - one of the better IPAs I've had in recent months. Incidentally, the Hafis location is great, but I can't imagine it getting much foot traffic given its location in a quasi-industrial area, Can't complain about a 6 minute diversion off the 401 though...
Yeah, that's for sure. Think it has a nice parking lot for a reason. Though last time there I did start talking to a fellow (maybe a BTer?) who said he enjoys hiking over from Yonge & Lawrence (and taking the bus back when he's loaded up with bottles). A good 30-40 minute walk I think he said.