Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

ry_kinney wrote:
Living in Scarborough I was only really visiting Left Field every few weeks with it being a pretty short drive. I've started going to the Bellwoods now that they opened the Hafis shop but I totally forgot about Common Good and it's the nearest brewery to me. How's the quality there?
Solid stuff in my opinion. Especially the brown ale. A quality IPA as well. Dry hopped Belgian was nice. I look forward to seeing what they do in the future. I hope it goes well for them. Pretty basic beer styles so far but that's cool with me. Although I believe they have more available for growler fills than they do in cans.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

ry_kinney wrote:Living in Scarborough I was only really visiting Left Field every few weeks with it being a pretty short drive. I've started going to the Bellwoods now that they opened the Hafis shop but I totally forgot about Common Good and it's the nearest brewery to me. How's the quality there?
Don't forget Muddy York at St Clair and O'Connor - they sell kegs too if you need 'em

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Craig wrote:In fairness, the hoopla was never about the blonde or big wheel. It was about beers like (double) tempest, sour cherry IS and deWallen. They were making those 3-4 years ago when the styles were a lot rarer.

They also had interesting one off releases. Anyone remember Lady Stav and Goedenmorgen?
Exactly. I remember when Tempest was first released ... maybe Ontario's first ever bottled imperial stout? At that time, that was awesome! For a while, they were producing some very interesting beer at their former Bathurst Street location, albeit it many of them were extremely limited runs.
Wasn't Wellington RIS originally in bottles many moons ago? Then it disappeared for awhile and re appeared in cans.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Wellington RIS has been in cans for quite a long time now....can't remember when/if it was in bottles actually.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:Wellington RIS has been in cans for quite a long time now....can't remember when/if it was in bottles actually.
I recall when the RIS and Iron Duke could be variously found in different LCBOs, six-packs of 340 ml bottles.
Image Image
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

A wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:Living in Scarborough I was only really visiting Left Field every few weeks with it being a pretty short drive. I've started going to the Bellwoods now that they opened the Hafis shop but I totally forgot about Common Good and it's the nearest brewery to me. How's the quality there?
Don't forget Muddy York at St Clair and O'Connor - they sell kegs too if you need 'em
Yep Muddy York make solid, traditional beers. Just sturdy stuff. I'm a fan.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Stone ris, xco, and double bastard listed now. Pricey, but still.

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

spinrsx wrote:Stone ris, xco, and double bastard listed now. Pricey, but still.
7 bucks for 650 of Old Rasputin is fine be me though :)

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Jerk_Store wrote:
Wow, that's either a steal or an error? I'm glad the Xocoveza is a 330 mL. I had it in San Diego 2 mo the ago on tap. It's beautiful, thick, and dark, but sweet as heck. I was done after a 5 oz pour.

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

Napalm Frog wrote:
Jerk_Store wrote:
Wow, that's either a steal or an error? I'm glad the Xocoveza is a 330 mL. I had it in San Diego 2 mo the ago on tap. It's beautiful, thick, and dark, but sweet as heck. I was done after a 5 oz pour.
Yeah, not my favourite beer.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Odd that the Stone RIS is listed now? The 2017 version comes out end of March in the states.. and the lcbo is always months behind. Are we getting the 2016 version?

andrewd

Post by andrewd »

spinrsx wrote:Odd that the Stone RIS is listed now? The 2017 version comes out end of March in the states.. and the lcbo is always months behind. Are we getting the 2016 version?
I'd put my money on it being from 2016. The Goose Island Gillian (mistakenly) released at Summerhill LCBO is from the February 2016 bottling, for example.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

andrewd wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Odd that the Stone RIS is listed now? The 2017 version comes out end of March in the states.. and the lcbo is always months behind. Are we getting the 2016 version?
I'd put my money on it being from 2016. The Goose Island Gillian (mistakenly) released at Summerhill LCBO is from the February 2016 bottling, for example.
So... we get the leftovers?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lukie wrote:
Orval_Al wrote:Can anyone explain the hype to me about three philosophers? I mean, it's good, sure. It's not better than St Bernardus (which we have year round) or Rochefort 8 or 10. Just wondering.
I liked it. I know they call it a quad but I would rate it in a separate category because of the kriek blend. They say only 2% is used, but you can really feel it in there. I agree the quad characteristics on their own aren't too impressive in this beer but the cherry flavour adds a nice flavour dimension that I would not expect to like in a dark fruit dominated beer like a quad...
Enjoying Ommegang Three Philosophers - what a pleasure to have this brew at the LCBO. Hides the ABV well and has a graceful structure for a Quad. It might be a bit subtle compared to a lot of Quads which despite sharing a Belgian super-strong ale category tend to all be pretty unique.

I still think Boulevard BBA Quad offers a lot of additional substance over this for the extra $3.35, but then hey bourbon barrel treatment so not even fair... so why not enjoy both?
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

CoolB wrote:18 Hands was beyond foul imo.
Funny, I had one today and quite liked it. Best Amsterdam beer I've had in a while. To each his own I guess. I am a fan of these lager-ale hybrids and this one got the balance just right, for me. Maybe having my expectations lowered helped, too.