Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Craig wrote:
Belgian wrote:I believe I tried the Immodest IIPA at boxcar social yesterday, incredible aroma even when it was just being poured. Nice spot just off on Boulton Ave, in the flourishing Queen and Broadview district.
Have they fixed their pricing? I went in shortly after they opened and they were essentially charging full-pint prices for half-pint servings. Which was a shame, because otherwise I liked the place.
Nope, not fixed. I skipped a birthday party here recently because I just couldn't bring myself to pay $8-$10 for 10-12 oz pours.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:
Craig wrote:
Belgian wrote:I believe I tried the Immodest IIPA at boxcar social yesterday, incredible aroma even when it was just being poured. Nice spot just off on Boulton Ave, in the flourishing Queen and Broadview district.
Have they fixed their pricing? I went in shortly after they opened and they were essentially charging full-pint prices for half-pint servings. Which was a shame, because otherwise I liked the place.
Nope, not fixed. I skipped a birthday party here recently because I just couldn't bring myself to pay $8-$10 for 10-12 oz pours.
They featured two five-dollar Tuesday pours, but as you say small. I find that a bit odd if it's not a DIPA or something, beers you would session don't really warrant a teensy stem glass.

Comrade has cheap happy hour pints or at least they did. All I see in Ontario are price leaps, holy cow the LCBO wines that have gone up 40-80% since not long ago. Systematically cancelling out the net worth of working folks, I suppose. The sellers aren't taking any of the hit of currency adjustments, far for it.
In Beerum Veritas

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Anyone know if Dreamsicle or the cumumber gose are still available?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

There was a limited amount of Dreamsicle and a bit of Ceres when I was in on Friday. More is scheduled for production as well.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I went by today, they have a BUNCH of good stuff there. Got Ceres, Dreamsicle, Uncommon Element, Brett Farmhouse, and Half Bastard

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I could waste a fine afternoon with glasses of Cucumber Gose. It really was true Leipziger in style.
In Beerum Veritas

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2016/09 ... -funk-lab/

I know that this was discussed before but they have finally committed to making the old Burlington location into the Funk Lab. I think that's great for the company.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Kentucky Bastard goes on sale tomorrow in the bottle shop at 11am. It should hit the LCBO sometime next week, according to Facebook.

This year it's a whopping 14.5%!

nelson

Post by nelson »

They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

Also, is the better location to visit the burlington location if I'm more interested in sour beers? And the hamilton one just has the core lineup?

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

nelson wrote:They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

Also, is the better location to visit the burlington location if I'm more interested in sour beers? And the hamilton one just has the core lineup?
I've never noticed any kind of live beer list on their website. Facebook or Twitter would be your best bet. Each time that i've gone in they seem to have 10+ beers available.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

nelson wrote:They don't have any list online about what they have at the bottle shop currently, do they? I'm thinking of making a trip out but would rather go when I know they have some really good stuff.

It's coming on the new website, but for now check social media or call Burlington. And don't go to Hamilton, no Nickel Brook sold there at all (yet...)
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Malevolent will be available again Saturday (Feb 25) according to Canadian Beer News.

Mmmmmmmm.!

Also according to CBN, they will be releasing Higher Dimension Belgian Amber, with some of the proceeds being donated to support refugee relief.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2017/02 ... ee-relief/

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Just out of curiosity but does nicklebrook have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless canadian citizens?
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

CoolB wrote:Just out of curiosity but does nicklebrook have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless canadian citizens?
One day we will build a big, beautiful wall and make Ontario great again

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

PeenSteen wrote:
CoolB wrote:Just out of curiosity but does nicklebrook have any programs where they support our own vets or homeless canadian citizens?
One day we will build a big, beautiful wall and make Ontario great again
We already live in the greatest place on earth.

It's a legit question. I'm not questioning. I'm just asking a question.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.