Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The ideas jus' keep flowin'

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

The ideas jus' keep flowin'

Post by Uncle Bobby »

The topic of our old friend, Frank D'angelo, has less and less to do with brewing, and more and more to do with slack-jawed puzzlement and incredulousness.

My suggestion:

Open this link in one window to listen to one of Frank's latest upbeat and positively messaged pop recordings.

Then open this link in another window to read about the social networking website for aspiring athletes of which Frank is one of the controlling interests.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Uncle Bobby wrote: Open this link in one window to listen to one of Frank's latest upbeat and positively messaged pop recordings.
at 2:38 Paula Brancati. Completely cheesy song but he's holding in there, vocally (with no sense of embarassment that I can tell.) You think he jumped Paula ten minutes later?
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The man is shameless and likely a narcissist. Even his cooking ads rub me the wrong way. Doesn't anyone who works with him have the balls to say; "Hey Frank, you're not a celebrity and your reputation and smarmy self importance actually hurt the brands you are allegedly promoting. Maybe you should not be in any of the ads at all".
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

This guy is a goof.

And I don't mean in the cute lovable way that my kids are goofs...

I mean, cringing, embarrassingly, pretend-you-don't-know-him type of goof.

Is this guy still in any way associated with OCB?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

this is so sad that it's hard to watch.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

bufordsbest wrote:this is so sad that it's hard to watch.

Woooow. That's not even sad/funny. It's just sad/sad.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The guy belives he is a legitimate celebrity - a renaissance man who can sing, dance, act, brew, market and play goal. Oddly enough he isn't terribly good at any of them.

I have to tip my hat to him though - how he managed to get Barry Sherman to foot the bill for his ego trip for this many years is worthy of applause. Asides from the alleged stat rape and bribing prosecutors, Frank's been entertaining an a Britcom-doofus sort of way.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The guy believes he... can make a lot of legitimate money through advertising... and he does!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Derek wrote:The guy believes he... can make a lot of legitimate money through advertising... and he does!
Not convinced of that though I have no way of checking it.

A production employee at the bottling plant claimed Sherman was still funding a large amount of money to D'Angelo each month though I can't imagine why.

I don't see an overwhelming response to any of their product lines but maybe thats just the world I travel in. The bankruptcy of D'Angelo Brands along with Steelback

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_CA/ca/s ... /index.htm

in 2008 suggests that something is very strange about this company. The criminal charges seem like just a predictable add-on.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I was up late watching TV a few weeks ago and stumbled on the Being Frank show. That's about a year now that it's been on the air, no?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

You guys remember when Franko was chatting us up on BT to offer a tour of the Steelback plant? Not out of general praise either. He was very confident the foul & undesirable qualities of the products had been taken care of and challenged us to taste them.

Definitely not a man afraid of taking adversity by the horn (or even the tail.)
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Rob Creighton wrote:
Derek wrote:The guy believes he... can make a lot of legitimate money through advertising... and he does!
Not convinced of that though I have no way of checking it.
It certainly did seem strange... Steelback was spending around $15M a year on advertising, and IIRC, a good portion of that went to Frank. But as he said, "I am the brand".

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

And now you can own your very own tap handle for $2.99:
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/mobile/p ... le%2Dlager

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

And this keeps turning up in my Twitter feed as a sponsored message.

https://twitter.com/FrankDangelo23/stat ... 6634572800
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

"And he is still, somehow, friends and partners with the guy who was owed all that money—Bernard “Barry” Sherman, one of Canada’s richest men and the co-executive producer of Vampire."

-http://www.macleans.ca/culture/movies/a ... lm-auteur/

$120 000 000 +++

"All told, the 56-year-old Toronto entrepreneur’s name appears 145 times in the closing credits. But he takes umbrage at those who suggest his transition from beverage baron to movie-maker might be driven by ego."

"D’Angelo says he did extensive research into vampires for the script, but wanted to play with the genre’s conventions."

It takes only a few minutes to get Caan on the line. ...he says. Shooting Vampire was fun, more like a reunion with old friends than work. It’s why he agreed to return in January to do The Red Maple Leaf. “Frank’s a complete maniac,” he says. “He’s fun to be around.” The product is the product. “People go thinking they’re going to see Hamlet. They’re not. But there’s nothing wrong with that,” says Caan. “Frank tries his heart out, and I think that’s the most important thing.”

"Sherman rarely gives interviews, but D’Angelo is able to get him on the phone in short order and twist his arm. In the course of a five-minute conversation, he describes Frank as a “hard worker” at least eight times."

"At most, he may be or is probably guilty, but I am left with a reasonable doubt on the totality of the evidence and so he is acquitted," said Justice John Hamilton in exonerating the flashy self-promoter over a sexual assault charge involving a now-22-year-old woman at his Yorkdale Holiday Inn hotel room in June 2007."

Heart warming story...should be a movie