Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S M A

Post by S M A »

IPA_Lover wrote:Has anyone grabbed the Le Trou Du Diable Dulcis Succubus? Curious how it's tasting and whether I should order this, the Buteuse or Le Coq if I had to pick one.
I had a bottle of Succubus recently. I got it in Montreal, though. I enjoyed it, tart and kind of fruity, but heavy on the funk. I joined BT to see if anyone wanted to split a case. Or split cases of more than one different beer, or something. Aside from Succubus, I'm also interested in Buteuse Special, La Pitoune, Dunham No Tahoma, and/or maybe Le Coq if there were a few people.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

FWIW: Beer store in Michigan just posted they have some Nickelbrook Cafe Del Bastardo for sale. 25 American dollars.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

DeMarco wrote:FWIW: Beer store in Michigan just posted they have some Nickelbrook Cafe Del Bastardo for sale. 25 American dollars.

wow, I guess that makes me feel a bit better on what it cost me.

B1tman1ac

Post by B1tman1ac »

Evil Twin Imperial Doughnut Break available online

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/evil-t ... PgLU8sXbqA

$17/per and typical minimum case purchase = $204

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

Hey everyone,
Just a heads up that we'll be the agents for Moonlight Meadery. Details will be firmed up in the weeks to come, but we're hoping to bring in our first "intro" order for early summer.

If you like big, juicy fruit bombs, then you'll probably fall in love with our Desire.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/moonlight ... re/126728/

It will be available as an online exclusive. We'll update as we get closer.

Thanks!
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Can't wait! Will be much better than the single digit rated trafalgar meads

Gleemer Imports

GtownRandy wrote:Can't wait! Will be much better than the single digit rated trafalgar meads
Hah.
Well, I'm not here to knock anyone else's mead offerings.
But the American meaderies, like Moonlight and Schramms, make a mead that's VERY different from the Ontario offerings.
Instead of getting strong fermented honey characters, which can get in the herbal range, you have large fruit blends (in some cases, it's almost a 50:50 fruit to mead mix).

These drink like delicious end-of-meal sippers and, once opened, a bottle can be corked and refrigerated for up to a month...not that it will last a month. When I open a bottle for the two of us, it's usually gone within 2 days, if that. :)

I hope you'll enjoy. Moonlight has a lot of amazing products that I'd love to share with Ontarians.
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Gleemer Imports wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:Can't wait! Will be much better than the single digit rated trafalgar meads
Hah.
But the American meaderies, like Moonlight and Schramms, make a mead that's VERY different from the Ontario offerings.
Instead of getting strong fermented honey characters, which can get in the herbal range, you have large fruit blends (in some cases, it's almost a 50:50 fruit to mead mix).

These drink like delicious end-of-meal sippers and, once opened, a bottle can be corked and refrigerated for up to a month...not that it will last a month. When I open a bottle for the two of us, it's usually gone within 2 days, if that. :)

I hope you'll enjoy. Moonlight has a lot of amazing products that I'd love to share with Ontarians.
Do you know if the plan is to sell by the case or by the bottle?

Gleemer Imports

Urotsukidoji wrote:
Gleemer Imports wrote:
Hah.

Do you know if the plan is to sell by the case or by the bottle?
It will be online sales only, so it will be by the case (12 bottles per case).

We'll re-assess down the road to see if in-store sales makes sense versus web sales, but my gut instinct is that it will be web only due to it being such a niche alcohol.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Hah.

I hope you'll enjoy. Moonlight has a lot of amazing products that I'd love to share with Ontarians.[/quote]

Do you know if the plan is to sell by the case or by the bottle?[/quote]

It will be online sales only, so it will be by the case (12 bottles per case).

We'll re-assess down the road to see if in-store sales makes sense versus web sales, but my gut instinct is that it will be web only due to it being such a niche alcohol.[/quote]

I wish you luck.....but not sure what kind of demand there will be for 12 bottles of mead from consumers.

Gleemer Imports

BakaGaijin wrote:
I wish you luck.....but not sure what kind of demand there will be for 12 bottles of mead from consumers.
Thanks for the warm wishes!

To be honest, we expect the same level of response as a wine agent would when importing non-LCBO-shelf wine. Either someone who wants to split bottles between friends or someone who understands the product and has no qualms with storing the mead in their cellar until their order's finished or, most likely, wine bars and restaurants who want to offer their patrons something different with dessert or a cheese plate.

I'm confident there will be a few BTers out there that will coordinate splitting a case. Mead cellars very well since honey is a natural preservative with antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal qualities. I'd be very comfortable storing mead in a cellar for years. The fruit won't fade at all (unlike beer). So, really, a case of 12 split by 2 people is likely 1-2 years' worth of mead and it will be just as good as the day it was bottled.

Otherwise, we plan on having this available at some of Toronto's finer dining establishments.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Looking fwd to more great meads. LCBO has brought some good ones over the last couple decades
Reliable Beer Critic

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Moonlight is awesome. I've brought back a few bottles in my trips to the US. Great that I'll be able to get it here now. I'll easy grab a couple cases a year. Always to open one of these up at a dinner party.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Looking forward to getting my hands on some Moonlight. I've never tried it but I am a mead fan.

Best local offering has been Church Key's Purple Loosestrife Mead. So delightfully delicious!
lister

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I see the Flying Monkeys Invictus is online order for $38/bottle. Seems a bit steep. Is it worth it? The unique thing is that you can order them in singles rather than by the box, as long as the minimum order is at least $50. So, 2 bottles will run me $76. Worth it?