Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Ontario Craft Beer Guide 2

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

The Ontario Craft Beer Guide 2

Post by Blasphomet »

Anyone have this yet? I saw that Left Field was ranked #3. Anyone know who is ranked #1 and #2?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

#1 Bellwoods
#2 Side Launch

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I figured Bellwoods. Was more interested in #2 I guess. Side Launch eh? Surprising.

I'd have given it to Burdock or Half Hours on Earth. Wonder what put Side Launch there.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Blasphomet wrote:I figured Bellwoods. Was more interested in #2 I guess. Side Launch eh? Surprising.

I'd have given it to Burdock or Half Hours on Earth. Wonder what put Side Launch there.
Shit, or Barncat for that matter (Matt; I'm assuming you're one of the owners or that you work there... beyond worth the 1 hour drive from my Toronto home to Cambridge).

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I haven't seen the latest edition but the first edition pretty much raved about Side Launch Mountain Lager (iirc) so I imagine that contributed.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

To be fair, everything(although not much or that innovative) that side launch does is spot on. I'm not a big wheat beer fan, or lager, but both those beers are really well done. Guess they're giving big props for doing what you do, well

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Blasphomet wrote:I figured Bellwoods. Was more interested in #2 I guess. Side Launch eh? Surprising.

they love Side Launch Mountain lager. they think it's a technically-great beer.
not a loggerhead, so i have a hard time giving Side Launch the nod. and their wheat is pretty good, but 1-2 points too sweet for my liking.

trying to remember the rest of the top 10. think Muddy York is #9.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:

top 10:
#1 Bellwoods
#2 Side Launch
#3 Left Field
#4 Tooth and Nail
#5 Sawdust
#6 Great Lakes
#7 Half Hours
#8 Folly
#9 Brasserie Etienne Brule
#10 Muddy York

portwood

Post by portwood »

sofakingdrunk wrote:To be fair, everything(although not much or that innovative) that side launch does is spot on. I'm not a big wheat beer fan, or lager, but both those beers are really well done. Guess they're giving big props for doing what you do, well
I think the logic with Side Launch is: better to brew only 4 beers averaging 4/5 points, than 4 beers averaging 4.5/5 and hundred others no better than 3/5
Last edited by portwood on Wed May 24, 2017 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
@markhamwhisky

portwood

Post by portwood »

sofakingdrunk wrote:To be fair, everything(although not much or that innovative) that side launch does is spot on. I'm not a big wheat beer fan, or lager, but both those beers are really well done. Guess they're giving big props for doing what you do, well
I think the logic with Side Launch is: better to brew only 4 beers averaging 4/5 points (or better), than 4 limited edition beers averaging 4.5/5, a few core beers at 3.5/5 and hundred others no better than 3/5
@markhamwhisky

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I also don't get the love for Side Launch or Left Field. Both make fine and drinkable beers, but neither have ever made me want to stock up, or even buy a second for that matter.

BTW, who are these people? From what I can tell, they're average Torontonian Bartowellers who wrote a book based on their Untapped check-ins?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

top 10:
#1 Bellwoods
#2 Side Launch
#3 Left Field
#4 Tooth and Nail
#5 Sawdust
#6 Great Lakes
#7 Half Hours
#8 Folly
#9 Brasserie Etienne Brule
#10 Muddy York
interesting.
I wouldn't have LF on my top 10. i never understand the love for them. had so many MEH beer from them.
Wouldn't argue with the rest of the list (although i haven't had any from Etienne Brule). interesting and very correct to not see Amsterdam on the top 10. Surprised, though, that Nickelbrook isn't there.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's got to be tough to put a list like that together, especially for breweries that make so many one-offs and have very limited distribution.

I'm surprised to see Tooth and Nail that high. I mostly know them for Vim and Vigour, which is both not a style I go for much and something I found pretty average. Maybe I should keep an eye out for some of their other stuff.

I would have Barncat up there, but I can see the distribution problem preventing you from trying enough stuff of theirs to really consider them. I would also have Burdock on there and pretty high up too. I'd say distribution for them too, but that's not much of an excuse if you have Folly and Bellwoods on the list, since they're in the same hood.

Left Field have been making some great beers lately. If you haven't tried them since their early days when all they were making was a few good but ordinary beers, you should give them another shot. That said, third place is way too high.

I understand the thinking about Side Launch. They don't make much, they're not really following the trends, but the beers they make are to style and generally flawless. I personally would value creativity more than execution if I were making a list, but I get it.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote:Left Field have been making some great beers lately. If you haven't tried them since their early days when all they were making was a few good but ordinary beers, you should give them another shot. That said, third place is way too high.
Agreed. I was disappointed when I tried them early on, but they've seriously been producing some of my favourite beers in Toronto over the past year and a bit. Laser Light Show, Spaceman, Sweet Jesus, Bricks & Mortar, Squeeze Play and their new collab with Godspeed to name a few. Their core beers weren't very consistent early on, but now Eephus is one of my favourite local brown ales. Sunlight Park is usually quite good too, and Wrigley Oat Pale Ale is excellent when you can find it. I just wish they'd can Eephus again because my main complaint is all their beer is in pricey bombers.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yeah I went to Left Field on the weekend for the first time in a little bit. I enjoy their stuff but I don't think I realized before how pricey their beer is. Four bombers and a new glass came to like $35.

Day Game, Cannonball, La Voisin, and Spaceman.