Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Did Bellwoods go too far with PG

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Did Bellwoods go too far with PG

Post by Blasphomet »

Drinking a Milkshark Pink Guava right now. Doesn't seem like beer at all. Granted I'm drunk, but that doesn't make this seem any less a non-beer.

It's tasty as a mah, but I just feel like I'm drinking juice. No beer.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Blasphomet wrote:Drinking a Milkshark Pink Guava right now. Doesn't seem like beer at all. Granted I'm drunk, but that doesn't make this seem any less a non-beer.

It's tasty as a mah, but I just feel like I'm drinking juice. No beer.
Yep. Welcome to the Confection trend.
Reliable Beer Critic

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

what does "beer" taste like or what should it taste like?

no surprise, but i think you're pretty off. Milkshark guava is great and it's as advertised. a really nice IPA with a lactose sweetness, great mouthfeel and nice bitter followthrough.
Cherry Jelly King, on the other hand....

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

what a time to be alive

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

atomeyes wrote:what does "beer" taste like or what should it taste like?
Shhhhh.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

In the words of Rob Creighton, "stop fucking up beer".

I don't actually have a problem with it, although the first Milkshark was enough for me to know this trend (milkshake/lactose) isn't for me.

Now that Pulp from Barncat, that I could have more examples of.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I loved the shit out of pineapple milk shark.....bummed I can't make it anytime soon to get the guava. If it's even close to the pineapple then I'd dig it. There was just enough of an IPA backbone for me, and that backbone was outstanding, with everything else just taking it up another notch IMO

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:In the words of Rob Creighton, "stop fucking up beer".

I don't actually have a problem with it, although the first Milkshark was enough for me to know this trend (milkshake/lactose) isn't for me.

Now that Pulp from Barncat, that I could have more examples of.

Fuck yeah, this world would be a better place with more "pulp like" beerz

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I loved the shit out of pineapple milk shark.....bummed I can't make it anytime soon to get the guava. If it's even close to the pineapple then I'd dig it. There was just enough of an IPA backbone for me, and that backbone was outstanding, with everything else just taking it up another notch IMO
this is the best one to date.

Pineapple was great for a first attempt, but way too bitter for the style. too much of a lingering bitterness, and Bellwoods knows it.
Blackberry was good because it worked with the hops, but it wasn't too insanely fruit forward, so it was nice.
guava has a nice guava flavour at the beginning and has a GREAT bitter finish at the end. i think it drinks really nice and is, by far, the best to date.

bring on the milkshake IPAs or creamsicle IPAs. you do it right and they're great, and no one else in Ontario (or Canada?) is doing this.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

atomeyes wrote:bring on the milkshake IPAs or creamsicle IPAs. you do it right and they're great, and no one else in Ontario (or Canada?) is doing this.
Abe Erb did a Pina Colada milkshake IPA but I missed out on bottles, didn't expect them to sell out in a day. I haven't liked a single beer they've made, but I would have given that a chance.

I liked the Pineapple Milkshark, wasn't too fond of the Blackberry, but I had it on tap, and was told it was much better out of the bottle. Hoping to get to try some PG Friday if Arabella still has bottles left, and I'm OK with the price.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

atomeyes wrote:bring on the milkshake IPAs or creamsicle IPAs. you do it right and they're great, and no one else in Ontario (or Canada?) is doing this.
Dreamsicle from Nickel Brook was a Milkshake Pale Ale that came out last summer. Lactose, vanilla beans and orange peel. Not the same intensity as the Milkshark series, but some credit is due I think.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Even if they did, I need to try this.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Short answer: Nope.

I'll be honest, lactose and vanilla isn't my thing, but the guava is lush.

I know it's all guava puree, but anyone else get a super herbal guava leaf vibe off of this? It's neat and something I don't know if I've ever gotten off of any other beer.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

atomeyes wrote:guava has a nice guava flavour at the beginning and has a GREAT bitter finish at the end. i think it drinks really nice and is, by far, the best to date.
I actually got the opposite. The beginning was mostly milk, sugar, vanilla with a background of beer. Bitterness picked up midway through a full glass. The tail end, especially those last 4 sips, were pure guava. Nevertheless, I think I agree with your sentiment that this was the best. To me, mango in general has a 'pine' flavour to it, so the overall flavour of the Mango became a bit much by the end (plus the novelty of my first milkshake beer wearing off). The Blackberry was solid fruit through and through, consistent, but lacked the finer nuances of the mango or guava.

I'm definitely looking forward the next one.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thsi was the first Milkshark beer I've had, but no tthe first milkshake IPA beer.
These are hardly IPAs at all in terms of how they taste...I got zero IPA taste from this pink guava beer. It was just sugary, sweet fruit juice to me.
It's a nice trend, its nice to bring in people who may otherwise not drink beer...but realistically, I had no desire to buy more than the single bottle I got.
These type of beers are "one and done" to me.