Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Looking at LCBO's business price listing page, it's these so far (inaccuracies/typos are theirs):

518084, Left Field Pale Ale, 4.5%, 650mL
518134, Imperial Super Guy, 9.5%, 650mL
518167, Nickel Brook Manevolent, 9.5%, 473mL
518100, (no listing), 5.0%, 341mL (I'm guessing Muskoka's Dingo Drank My Beer)
518118, GLB Rasp Farmhouse Ale, 6.2%, 650mL
518142, (no listing), 7.0%, 600mL (I'm guessing Beau's Slideway, collab w/ Side Launch)

LCBO clues on Twitter:
#4 A type of malt or a baseball icon…
#1 A Royal “Canned” Crusader
#6 Now streaming dark and moody
#5 Outback in Cottage Country
#2 This pearls celebrating with something fruity…
#3 What kind of beer do you get when you cross a Tractor with a Ship?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

beerstodiscover wrote:Can anyone reveal what's in the Ontario Craft Beer Mystery Box?

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/ontari ... ack/523233

Googling the skus reveals the first two are Left Field Brewery Pale Ale and BTP Imperial Super Guy.
Am I reading the price right for this? $38?! I know it says perfect for Father's Day, but I don't think my kids love me that much...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Napalm Frog wrote:Looking at LCBO's business price listing page, it's these so far (inaccuracies/typos are theirs):

518084, Left Field Pale Ale, 4.5%, 650mL
518134, Imperial Super Guy, 9.5%, 650mL
518167, Nickel Brook Manevolent, 9.5%, 473mL
518100, (no listing), 5.0%, 341mL (I'm guessing Muskoka's Dingo Drank My Beer)
518118, GLB Rasp Farmhouse Ale, 6.2%, 650mL
518142, (no listing), 7.0%, 600mL (I'm guessing Beau's Slideway, collab w/ Side Launch)

LCBO clues on Twitter:
#4 A type of malt or a baseball icon…
#1 A Royal “Canned” Crusader
#6 Now streaming dark and moody
#5 Outback in Cottage Country
#2 This pearls celebrating with something fruity…
#3 What kind of beer do you get when you cross a Tractor with a Ship?
Sounds kind of fun...I'd get one for my brother in law, but I think he'd be scared of most of the beers.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Nice sleuthing. Not a bad selection and I think the price is fair if you conservatively estimate the big bottles at $8 each and $4 for the little ones that would be $40. If only I was a dad!

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I bit the bullet, and mine came in today. My guesses were dead on. And because the original listing was a bit vague, the Left Field is Maris.

EDIT: Malevolent is 4 mo old, bitter sweet chocolatey soup compared to fresh on tap.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Good to my froggy friend.
I guess it didn't miss too much here then.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I'm wrapping up the box tonight while doing some cartography and geographic analysis late into the night. Opinions as a Toronto resident:

Left Field Maris: solid local PA, widely available, didn't focus on this too much. BBQ beer.

Nickel Brook Maalevolent: aged too long, I'm a huge black IPA fan, and love this one on tap if I can find it, but the hop bite disappeared, making this a maltier, chocolatier bite. Oddly enough I still liked it, but off from intent, and I'm weird.

Beyond the Pale Imperial Super Guy: No bottle date, but they switched from can to the bottle release May 11, so pretty sure it's fresh. Profile is citrus (orange, clean grapefruit, minimal pith) with a touch of hidden dankness. For a 9%, bite is minimal, but the malty body screams IIPA. This one is stealing the box for me.

Muskoka Dingo Drank My Beer: It's a sorta champagne beer, not an exciting for me, relegated to last of the night beer.

GLB Rasp Farmhouse Ale: Had this back in the fall as a lower ABV batch, just as good this time around. Huge fruit flavour, muting most of the normal farmhouse profile, but squeaking in just enough subtlety.

Beau's/Side Launch Slideway: smoked maibock. smoke was pretty light, maibock nicely sweet, overall nothing amazing. i'm the rare beau's defendant, but they can't do smoked beers right. This was right-ish. Source: Smokin' Banana Peels is in my top 3 worst beers I've ever tried.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

My Muskoka Dingo Drank My Beer had no label ... at least I assume that's what it is, anyone else?
Sucks as I like to snap a pic of all my odd ball beers :(

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Urotsukidoji wrote:My Muskoka Dingo Drank My Beer had no label ... at least I assume that's what it is, anyone else?
No label, but should have had a card on string around the neck. May be buried in the packing peanuts.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Napalm Frog wrote:
Urotsukidoji wrote:My Muskoka Dingo Drank My Beer had no label ... at least I assume that's what it is, anyone else?
No label, but should have had a card on string around the neck. May be buried in the packing peanuts.
Thank you! That is exactly what happened :)

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Saw this big bottle of Brickworks cider at the store yesterday and it piqued my interest (mostly because I've never seen a domestic cider in one of those big bottles).

Has anyone tried it yet? I'll probably grab one the next time I drop by regardless, but I'm curious to see if BT has any input. Mint and basil are not things I would expect to see in a cider, but it does sound interesting.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new format

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
LCBO#: 497487 | 473 mL can
$3.40

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

kevinlater wrote:
GtownRandy wrote:Duchesse De Bourgogne
—LCBO#: 492769 | 330 mL bottle
$2.95
:o :o :o i think i saw 4pks of this at premier gourmet for like $20 once...

my fridge is gonna be full of this + saison dupont this summer
God damn this is tasting good! And you can't beat that price.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

S M A

Post by S M A »

^^^Absolutely agreed. I got about a case worth of it, I'll be drinking it all summer (and saving a few). One of those beers where it's almost hard to believe that there are no actual cherries in there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Stone Enjoy After looks interesting, of course it's almost twenty bucks for a Brett spiked IPA, plus it's a 'series' so you'll have to get the next one too, all this marketinfpg fluff ticked me off for some reason.

Exponential pricing curve on 750mls. Nobody's forcing me to buy it of course. There's a Cote Rotie 2010 I tasted and would consider getting for nearly four times the cost, comparing very different things of course. The subtle oak and intense black fruit on that Southern Rhone is a beauty... That I know would be a enjoyable bottle.
In Beerum Veritas