Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Lucky Finds

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Found a random case of Founders KBS today.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

And did it ring through for the price of one bottle?

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

midlife crisis wrote:And did it ring through for the price of one bottle?
$7.25
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

dale cannon wrote:
$7.25
Now that's a good End of Stock sale!

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

midlife crisis wrote:
dale cannon wrote:
$7.25
Now that's a good End of Stock sale!
I tried arguing but she was adamant that I leave the store with 24 bottles of KBS for $43.50.

munrets

Post by munrets »

I just popped in to the Queen and Coxwell LCBO and saw five Founders boxes stacked in the middle of the beer section. I peeked in the top one: it's all KBS. Five cases just sitting there.

Go get 'em, team.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

There were a few at Queens Quay this afternoon also.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

admviolin wrote:There were a few at Queens Quay this afternoon also.
Also noticed the price went up to $7.40

Where is all this extra coming from? LCBO find a boxcar they missed someplace?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Here's one out of left field.

Kagua Blanc found at the Highway 7 and Woodbine LCBO. This is the same location that currently has Hitachino Amber, Lager, Nipponia and Espresso Stout. Its tasty with some vibrant citrus peel notes balanced by earthy pepper.

https://untappd.com/b/far-yeast-brewing ... anc/185347

vfr

Post by vfr »

I walked into a LCBO in Mississauga that I NEVER go to as I was in the area. As I was looking around something caught my attention out the corner of my eye, I turned around and BAM!! I found 5 of these bad boys just sitting there with no price tag. I asked the lady how much they were and it took her about 5 minutes to figure it out. When she told me she was mind blown a single beer cost $32.55. I had to buy all 5 of course :)

https://imgur.com/a/XIPZN

Cheers!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

vfr wrote:I walked into a LCBO in Mississauga that I NEVER go to as I was in the area. As I was looking around something caught my attention out the corner of my eye, I turned around and BAM!! I found 5 of these bad boys just sitting there with no price tag. I asked the lady how much they were and it took her about 5 minutes to figure it out. When she told me she was mind blown a single beer cost $32.55. I had to buy all 5 of course :)

That was almost certainly a 'private/online (case) order' where the original buyer picking it up immediately did a 180º and returned 5 of the 6 for a refund (in order to sample just one bottle.) Also I bet lcbo.com never showed it as in-store stock since it was an online 'exclusive' so those are basically invisible items in the system. It was top-quality orphan stock gone begging. Weird!

This really proves the value of wandering into all grubby / poorly-organized LCBOs (no shelf tags in this lazy instance) and just see what's laying around. Treasure hunt.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I’ve been told that all returned beer is destroyed by the LCBO. However I have seen some private order stuff turn up. Strange. Either someone isn’t following the rules or there are permitted exceptions.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:I’ve been told that all returned beer is destroyed by the LCBO. However I have seen some private order stuff turn up. Strange. Either someone isn’t following the rules or there are permitted exceptions.
Understandable if the buyer never brought it home - ie. the buyer pre-paid the order & then left 5 bottles in the store when they picked it up. It's only a return on paper, not a physical return of product.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Lots of stuff on sale at the Wilson/Dufferin LCBO. Rye King, Ten Fidy, Yeti, Straffe Hendrik and many more at 30% off.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

A single bottle of De Ranke XX Bitter at Summerhill, but there must have been more since they had a product number taped to the cash register. Bargain at $2.95.
Here's to the slow path.