Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer Craft Beer Release 2017

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now

Brewdog Elvis Juice
LCBO#: 489385 | 330 mL bottle
$3.25
Limited Supply*

Stewart Brewing First World Problems
LCBO#: 489377 | 330 mL bottle
$3.85

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Is there an LCBO employee that can give me a single bottle code for the Anchor California Lager?

I went in and grabbed a bottle from an already broken 6 pack and they refused to sell it to me. I'd love to go back in next time and throw the code at them.

Thanks in advance.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

cfrancis wrote:Is there an LCBO employee that can give me a single bottle code for the Anchor California Lager?

I went in and grabbed a bottle from an already broken 6 pack and they refused to sell it to me. I'd love to go back in next time and throw the code at them.

Thanks in advance.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they've been ordered to stop selling singles from open-format six-packs.

The same thing happened to me when I tried to buy a single bottle of Birra Moretti (one of several bottles which a staff member had presumably left in the singles bin). No I don't really like that beer, I just wanted the cap for my collection. The cashier flat-out refused to sell it to me, and all of the Moretti bottles in the singles bin had been removed by the next time I went to the shop a few days later.

The funny part is that a pair of LCBO employees were standing around in the vicinity complaining about how the Wal-Mart across the parking lot (which will be selling beer in the near future) was going to eat their lunch. Yeah, it very well might - and dumb policies like this aren't going to help.

If a six pack has already been broken up then they might as well just sell the singles individually, but I guess that would make too much sense. Apparently they think that telling a customer that they can't buy something that was on the sales floor, and then throwing it out (or sending it back to the warehouse?) is a better idea.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

There is a domestic single SKU that the cashiers are not really supposed to use, but some do. I don't think it is communicated consistently by upper management. So in some cases if they cant find a SKU they will scan it through as a domestic single which rings in at about $2. I find you will get the beer through cash about half the time.

This process is only supposed to be used if the broken 6 pack has been damaged out and then the remaining bottles will have a sticker placed over the cap and are put in the bin. This leaves the inventory quantity correct while still cutting losses from the damages.

A beer like Don De Dieu which is only available in the Unibroue mix pack has no individual SKU but Ive taken a few out of broken 6 packs and got them through cash for 2 bucks a piece, not a bad deal!

Another note is that if your cashier cannot get the beer to ring up as a single by scanning it, ask them to do a search by description (ie. Founders) and it will bring up a list of all SKUs with that in the title. Many cashiers don't seem to know this function.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Most stores won't sell you a single of anything pulled out of a pack.

However, the LCBO at Victoria Park and Ellesmere is very permissive with singles. From my experience everyone there knows the single bottle code.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I went into another LCBO last night and again found a broken 6. I took one bottle out to try again. This time no problem. Cashier hit one button on the cash, scanned and showed up as single bottle. I moved on with my life.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's funny, some cashiers seem to want nothing more than for you to take home the SKU-challenged single bottle whatever they have to do to ring it in.

Other times a staffer will act like it's their avowed purpose to not sell you the broken pack item, any way any how. No, it must be destroyed!
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:It's funny, some cashiers seem to want nothing more than for you to take home the SKU-challenged single bottle whatever they have to do to ring it in.

Other times a staffer will act like it's their avowed purpose to not sell you the broken pack item, any way any how. No, it must be destroyed!
So true. There are good and bad people in all walks of life...

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:The Pumpkin Oro, Ritter and possibly Ludwig interest me.

Ritter should not be missed if what I tried in 2008 is any indication. Gose not just in name.
Have you tried it yet and how did it stand up to the 2008 experience?

Always happy to see a new brewer knock a new style out of the park, but also very happy to see the original continue to set the benchmark for a style. This is the best gose I've tried to date. Refreshing, the sour/salt/spice interplay was perfect. Enjoyed in the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Spiegelau glass.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Loving the Ritter, excellent balance and very satisfying. Will be grabbing at lease another 6.

S M A

Post by S M A »

People of Hawkesbury, ON: You can no longer complain that Toronto/Summerhill gets everything first. You are currently the only store in ON that has Saison Brett from Boulevard. Be proud.

Has anyone tried Brewdog Elvis Juice? I'm kind of wanting to try it but have yet to take the plunge.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^just bought a couple of the Elvis juice. Havnt had yet, but a buddy told me it's pretty good

S M A

Post by S M A »

sofakingdrunk wrote:^^^just bought a couple of the Elvis juice. Havnt had yet, but a buddy told me it's pretty good
I just grabbed and tried one last night. I concur with your buddy, it is pretty good. The (real) grapefruit zest flavour is pronounced, but not like one of those new-fangled fruity IPAs. In this one it's easily identifiable, but still blends in well with the actual beer flavours. Glad I tried it, may even get a couple more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cannondale, the 2008 Rittergut Gose I had in Leipzig Germany was much like this current bottle version, I would recommend anyone interested to swirl up the sediment from the bottle for a minute and most importantly let it chill for a day or so to get the nicest presentation. It's great!

Ahh man the König Ludwig Weissbier really hits the spot. I know I've had tins before. But a lot of good Weizens are interchangeable. This is why German menus often just say (fake example) Jever Pils, Jever Helles, Jever Dunkel and then say Weissbier generically with no mention of brand. Its it's fresh a lot of it is equally good, and THIS is fresh. This is banana popsicle vanilla lemon and clove, bubble gum. Proud example.
BY THE WAY you are tasting the original inspiration for the (often superior freshness) Side Launch Wheat AKA Denisons Weissbier AKA Michael Hancock's masterpiece he now brews in Collingwood. I have a Weissbier glass for this Ludwig by its original name, Prinzregent Luitpold Weissbier Helles. I suppose Michael may have gotten the special wheat beer yeast from the Prinz. Wheat beer in Bavaria has an ancient royal connection, since by law most wheat had to be reserved for bread, the brewing of Weiss for royals ( and nobles?) being a snooty exception to that.
In Beerum Veritas

skootles

Post by skootles »

S M A wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:^^^just bought a couple of the Elvis juice. Havnt had yet, but a buddy told me it's pretty good
I just grabbed and tried one last night. I concur with your buddy, it is pretty good. The (real) grapefruit zest flavour is pronounced, but not like one of those new-fangled fruity IPAs. In this one it's easily identifiable, but still blends in well with the actual beer flavours. Glad I tried it, may even get a couple more.
Agreed, I was actually really surprised at how good it tasted, nice and light grapefruit flavour that's not too overpowering. I had a can a month or two ago from Brewdog Roppongi in Tokyo and it was very muted and old-tasting, I was expecting the one from the LCBO to taste even worse but was pleasantly surprised.