Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Tonight:

Beyond the Pale / Saison Tropicale (solid 4 / 5)
Burdock / IPA with Galaxy, Simcoe & Citra (another 4 / 5 or slightly less)
Bellwoods / Mango Milkshark (4, creeping up on a 4 ¼ outta 5)

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere,
was bottled very end 2015. Such a treat! Winey with distinct lemony notes and gentle funk. puffy white head over gold coat billowing a mellow herbal and sour funk. The midi-chlorian counts are off the charts in this one.

Bellwoods Weft and Warp - Chardonnay Barrel aged Sour.
Bottle from April or so pours a golden haze because I swirled it up. Wow! This Sour gets the upgrade of the light barely oak character, spicy vanillin, plus some added fruit depth possibly from the chard wine. Tart apricot and fresh sour plum, ripe lemon, balsamic. Impressive body and completeness, slight alcohol warmth is nice. Has a very natural sweaty funk that I really appreciate.

Still have one Bam Bierre tucked away, glad it's holding up well.

-a few nights ago, Block 3 X half hours on earth New kids and the block hopped saison. Really really nice beer, the hopping smells fantastic and tastes almost as good. A bit of baryard funk and super drinkable. Just enough saison yeast to remind you what the backbone of the beer is. I know it's a colab, but it is the best Block 3 beer I've had by a long shot. This totally reminded me of Barncat's Qi, which was one of my top beers of the year. I think I'm falling in love with hopped saisons.

Right now a (750 ml) 2014 saison DuPont which is off the charts good. Past it's bb date(according to bottle) but this is probably one of the better bottles I've ever had. So crushable that it's going to be gone in less than 20 mins for sure. Broke out the Duvel glass and it really compliments this beer
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Right now a (750 ml) 2014 saison DuPont which is off the charts good. Past it's bb date(according to bottle) but this is probably one of the better bottles I've ever had. So crushable that it's going to be gone in less than 20 mins for sure. Broke out the Duvel glass and it really compliments this beer
Great to hear! I still have one bottle of the same vintage tucked away. One of those beers that I couldn't bring myself to drink when I heard it was discontinued at the L. Frankly, I've ruined more than a few bottles over the years by sitting on them past the BBD due to my reluctance to "drink the last one". This time, it sounds like it might actually pay dividends! I'm thinking a vertical with the fresh 355 bottles once they hit shelves would be interesting. I've even got the Duvel glasses to complete the picture...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

You can really never have too much spare Saison Dupont or Orval or Rochefort 10.
I have a fair bit of Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux which I'm so glad I tucked away. Coming nicely aged from the brewer it still continues to develop.

Today had the amazing Mango Milkshark, some more of Weft and Warp, and a sip of the solera sherry I wrote about.
In Beerum Veritas

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Great Lakes / Octopus Wants to Fight: Really solid this year. Smooth, easy drinking. (4 / 5)

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Over the last week and a half:

-Granville Island Lions Summer Ale - LCBO tallboy; 4.7%. Brewed with passionfruit and pineapple juice, but neither of them were very noticeable. Drinks like any run-of-the-mill pale American wheat ale. Meh.
-5 Paddles Home Sweet Home - LCBO bomber; 5.5%. Brewed with honey and vanilla. The aroma borders on sickly-sweet, but it was fairly palatable otherwise. Honey sweetness, doughy malts and brown sugar, with the vanilla more apparent towards the back end. Decent, but too saccharine to be a regular purchase for me.
-Hop City Payday Saison - LCBO tallboy; 6.2%. Brewed with coriander and grains of paradise. A passable, unadventurous saison; almost no funkiness. Spicy finish, with coriander and peppery notes, as well as some herbal bitterness. Better than most Hop City offerings, but easily outclassed in the saison category.
-NZ Pure Lager - TBS tallboy (440 mL); 5.0%. Bog standard Eurotrash lager, with most of the flavour being grainy cereal sweetness. I'd rather drink a Grolsch.
-Barnstormer Wind Shear Watermelon Summer Ale - LCBO tallboy; 4.1%. It smells a little 'fake', kind of like a Jolly Rancher, but the flavour is acceptable. Crackery pale malt sweetness, sweet watermelon juice/flesh flavours, with bitter melon rind notes towards the finish. Better than most of the watermelon beers that I've tried, but that honestly is not saying much.
-Muskoka Moonlight Kettle Series - Cool As Cuke - LCBO tallboy from their mixed "Survival Sampler"; 4.7%. Nothing mindblowing, but I enjoyed this one. The cucumber adds an oddly vegetal, melon-like flavour. Excellent drinkability. I don't buy very many singles from Muskoka, but I'd get this once in a while.
-Refined Fool Hardwood Under the Carpet - Bomber from the brewery. A spiced "witbier-like" wheat ale, but they didn't list the entire spice bill (tamarind, clove and vanilla are the only "definites"). I noticed the clove (and possibly coriander), but the vanilla was mostly a no-show. The tamarind imbued it with a pleasant acidity and some sweetness. A bit overcarbonated, but otherwise pretty decent.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Saturday at Bellwoods Brewery Hafis Road:
Bellwoods Motley Cru 2017 (sample)
Bellwoods Blackberry Milkshark (sample)
Bellwoods Mango Milkshark (sample)

Sunday at The Monk's Kettle:
Duggan's #3 German Pilsner (draft)
New Limburg Dubbel (draft)
Blood Brothers Shumei IPA (draft)
Stack Brewing Hawaiian Uppercut (draft)

Over the week at home:
Central City & Yukon Brewing Swift Currant
Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck Bacchus
Central City & Last Best Brewing Berry Smooth
Bellwoods Monogamy - Columbus
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cock and Bull Ginger Beer for a good price at Winners. Super high quality, smooth and with a pleasant burn.

A very good Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux, on sale $5.55 at Queen's Quay. SMH.

I had both a Konig Ludwig and a Side Launch Wheat, from my Luitpold glass. Very good Weizen after napping in the beach listening to Iron Maiden and Neil Young.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at home:
Cameron's One-Eyed Grouse
Bellwoods Brettal Head
Central City & PEI Brewing Bière d’ici Honey Ale
Bellwoods Double Monogamy - Azacca
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

New stuff within the last week:

-BrewDog Elvis Juice - LCBO bottle. Very citrusy aroma and flavour, with hints of pine resin, berries and stone fruit. Pretty good stuff, but I love grapefruit to begin with so YMMV. I slightly prefer this over their Punk IPA.
-König Ludwig Weissbier - LCBO bottle. Quite visually appealing in the glass, with lots of wheat malt flavour, but there's just a tad too much banana/bubble gum for me. Spicy finish with peppery clove and yeastiness. A bang-on example of the style, but there are at least a handful of German competitors I'd select before this one (Weihenstephaner and Ayinger come to mind).
-Ritterguts Gose - LCBO bottle. Gritty wheat husk and crackery sweetness mixed together with lemon and sour apple; the coriander and salt gently come through on the back end. A lovely thirst-quencher; definitely not too sour, and not particularly salty either. Ideal for use as an introduction to the style.
-Beau's Tom Green Summer Stout - LCBO bottle. Looks fine in the glass (other than the fact that it's blonde). More 'nutty' than 'roasty'; the coffee seems to be the only source of "roastiness" in the flavour profile. That being said, I actually rather enjoyed this one - the oats give it a silky-smooth texture, and the milk sugar provides just the right amount of sweetness. Only vaguely stout-like, but I still liked it more than the original Tom Green beer.
-Nickel Brook Ceres - LCBO bottle. Fantastic stuff. Grainy, wheaty pale malts are joined by lime juice, melon rind and cucumber, with a decent kick of lactic acidity. Coriander spice precedes the salty finish, with lingering hints of cucumber skin. Gotta remember to grab another bottle or two ASAP, because stock is starting to dwindle around here.
-Refined Fool Second Cousin (Strawberry) - Bomber from the brewery. One of multiple fruity variations upon their base hefeweizen - I've tried the cherry one in the past and it was ok. Dominated by wheaty, bready malts, with notes of banana, apple, citrus and strawberry. The strawberry is extremely subtle, which might irk people who bought it expecting a fruit beer. Solid, but I think I still prefer the base hefe (and I'm still interested to see how the apricot, blackberry, and blueberry variants turn out).
-Okanagan Crisp Apple Cider - LCBO tallboy. Quite sweet and slightly tart. Reminiscent of Somersby original, being only marginally less candy-sweet. I'd pass in the future, but then again I prefer dry ciders.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having a few of the König Ludwig Weissbier and a (05-2016) Rochefort 10, pure insanity how the Roche mingles with the herbs you add to dishes. Imma try doing a braise with R10 next time.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

WED - Having a Jan 2016 Oxbow Crossfade. Looks smells and tastes great with a taut package of lemony-pale fruity tartness and herbal dry element. Medium full palate lays on the tartness, not really acetic, and top of palate is also dry bitter and not quite parching. Cloudy look. Pretty amazing stuff.

I would say Bench Citra Grove is better than this though. Bottled version is a masterpiece. The tart guava element makes it superior for me.

THU - had a First World Problems, cute label and nice enjoyable BA - velvety feel and nice layers, big hops wrapped in a cozy malt cushion.

Then having an Aphrodite, such a standout beer among the reasonable-ABV Stouts with coffee-like roast, dark fruit, chocolate. Wow.

Then a Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, probably one of the finest kinds of American IPA if you can snag a fresh can at the LCBO. This is IPA without any wine or whiskey oak treatment or added lactose or lactobacillus or Kiwi & Dragon Fruit & Ginger added, and it's just really really good.

FRI King Ludwig's Crazy Ass Weisse (I added the crazy part because he was and it's crazy good) and Bellwoods 100% Oat Pale Ale, absolutely gorgeous beer I would not hesitate to order any time.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Yesterday during an impromptu visit to Radical Road:

Sling Shot California Common
Yuzu Pale Ale

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Caledon Hills Badlands Dark Lager — This is a nice brew with a solid dry-roasty-bitter backbone. Reminds me of Czechvar Dark. I'd never heard of this brewery before. It seems like a small operation that has good presence at bars and restaurants in and around Caledon.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

A few from the Across the Nation east coast 6 pack. Sometimes i forget the target market for this thing is the molbatts drinker who wants to take some baby steps wading out of the shallow end. So far its coming off like Beer Camp with Kamp Krustyesque councillors.

Quidi Vidi Hefe collab: seemed watered down. Weak Hefe with pineapple notes that seem to overpower what was a standard at best base beer. My expectations were low considering the partner and they were met.

PEI Honey Biere de Garde: drinks like something Brickman would have put out in 2004. Drinks like a standard stock ale with a whackload of honey. As much a biere de garde as I am a billionaire.

Garrison Scotch ale: very smokey, otherwise prettymuch hits the right notes for a scotch ale. A couple steps down from Dirty Bastard etc. But id reach for another one.

On a much happier note: Left Field Laser Show. This is legit. Vermont style is tossed around like a frisbee these days but this one delivers.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo