Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn Import / Halloween / Ontario Release 2017

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

darmokandjalad wrote:I bet if they had allocated more stock to areas such as Toronto proper (not the suburbs) or the KWC-Guelph area - neither of which seem to have much in the way of lingering stock - there wouldn't be so much of it lying around. There are only so many people per city/region willing to fork over the cash for ultra-premium beers such as Oro, and judging from the inventory count Ottawa is totally over-saturated.
There was a time where I could wait a bit before picking stuff up. Now I'm constantly missing out on stuff. Thankfully I rather just get some Barncat, or have beer at Arabella Park or The Bent Elbow.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale was just listed on the LCBO website at $4.95 a can not $7.95 like originally listed.
FLYING MONKEYS CRAFT BREWERY | Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Al | 7.95 | 473 | 10
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/flying ... cQOLsiGOUk

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

JaseWescott wrote:Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale was just listed on the LCBO website at $4.95 a can not $7.95 like originally listed.
FLYING MONKEYS CRAFT BREWERY | Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Al | 7.95 | 473 | 10
So then I'm saving myself $4.95 instead of $7.95 then :lol:

(Note: comment reflects opinion of all pumpkin beers, not FM in particular.)
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I think Paranormal will be a decent substitute for Pumking, now that Southern Tier has kinda quietly excused itself from Ontario. The flavours aren't a one-to-one match but they're in the same general spirit of pie crust, smashed squash, pumpkin spice and alcohol, if that's the sort of thing that floats your pumpkin boat (assuming you maintain a seaworthy pumpkin boat at all).

I love this format change, because now there is a strong chance I will actually buy it again this year. It's good for a pumpkin beer, but 10-12 bucks for another 750 mL bottle was never going to happen (I don't think I've had it since 2014, and I doubt I would have picked up even one can at $8/pop either). $5 is a fair price, and well within the vicinity of what 'imperial' tallboys seem to go for these days.

I used to love pumpkin beer season, but I don't think I've bought more than a half-dozen servings over the course of any single autumn/winter for quite a while. Pumpkin beers in particular really need to be priced competitively, unless the goal is for them to still be sitting around in February. I mean, even the people that really like them are usually sick of them by Christmas.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale was just listed on the LCBO website at $4.95 a can not $7.95 like originally listed.
So then I'm saving myself $4.95 instead of $7.95 then :lol:

(Note: comment reflects opinion of all pumpkin beers, not FM in particular.)
I feel much the same way, although I'll usually pick up one pumpkin beer during the season. I have enjoyed saison duPump in the past tho

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I too am no fan of pumpkin beer.
Saison DuPump is pretty light on the pumpkin and I do like that one.
And I've found St. Ambroise Pumpkin Ale to be amongst the least offensive.
I'll probably get a can of Paranormal for $5 to share since I've heard people rave about it. But I probably won't like it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

darmokandjalad wrote:I think Paranormal will be a decent substitute for Pumking, now that Southern Tier has kinda quietly excused itself from Ontario. The flavours aren't a one-to-one match but they're in the same general spirit of pie crust, smashed squash, pumpkin spice and alcohol, if that's the sort of thing that floats your pumpkin boat (assuming you maintain a seaworthy pumpkin boat at all).
Amazingly I still haven't tried Paranormal, even though I love pumpkin beers. The ratings seem to be good, and your comments have me intrigued, so I'll be seeking this one out. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I hope the Great Lakes one is notable this year if anyone has comments. It can be a bit light in flavor, that's subjective of course!
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I'm loving the Rye King. Foreign Extra Stout is one category I've definitely neglected.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

beerstodiscover wrote:I'm loving the Rye King. Foreign Extra Stout is one category I've definitely neglected.
Agreed. One of the best stouts to hit the 'BO in quite a while, if you ask me. Well worth picking up.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:I'm loving the Rye King. Foreign Extra Stout is one category I've definitely neglected.
Agreed. One of the best stouts to hit the 'BO in quite a while, if you ask me. Well worth picking up.
Holy cow outstanding!. An amazingly densely-inky-colored and flavorful beer, by far surpasses my expectations.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Rye King sounds good from here and ratebeer. It's the 3rd highest foreign stout at 3.9/5, 100 style, 99 overall.

On ratebeer it's listed as amager/goose island

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Now that the fall release has finally started to trickle onto the shelves, does anyone have any visibility on the status of van de Keizer Rood? I'm anxious to try this one and the recent news about the return of the Blauw this winter has me thinking about this one again.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Roundhouse Kick is listed now.

I'm really looking forward to the Black Ball. Is this the first To Ol to hit the LCBO?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Provost Drunk wrote:Now that the fall release has finally started to trickle onto the shelves, does anyone have any visibility on the status of van de Keizer Rood? I'm anxious to try this one and the recent news about the return of the Blauw this winter has me thinking about this one again.
+1. And also Vitus. Any sightings? They don't even show up on drinkvine, so I guess I know what the answer is ....