Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Release 2017

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

LCBO Winter Release 2017

Post by Cass »

Triple Karmeliet Strong Belgian Ale $3.65 330 8.4
LA MACKROKEN SCOTCH HONEY ALE $5.95 500 10.8
St Feuillien Cuvee de Noel Xtra Strong Belgia $3.95 330 9.0
Samichlaus $5.25 330 14.0
Komes Baltic Porter $3.20 500 9.0
Abbaye Des Rocs $6.15 750 9.0
Yeti Imperial Stout $10.95 650 9.5
Straffe Hendrik Quadruple $8.35 750 11.0
Val-Dieu Grand Cru $8.95 750 11.0
Driftwood Brewery Blackstone Porter $6.00 650 6.0
Rodenbach Vintage $12.95 750 7.0
Deus Brut des Flanders $19.95 750 11.5
Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout $4.95 550 5.0
2016 Bourbon Barrel Quad $15.95 750 11.8
Oskar Blues 10 Fidy - 355 ML $5.15 355 10.5
St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout $5.95 341 9.8
Cuvee du Chateau $4.25 330 11.0

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Dammit! Bring back the Cuvée Van De Keizer. .

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Masterplan wrote:Dammit! Bring back the Cuvée Van De Keizer. .
Yeah I thought for sure we'd see that one back, what with the Rood slated to show up at some point in the near future.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Straffe Hendrik Quadruple
Deus Brut des Flanders
Learn to spell, Bo-Tards! Haha. I swear everyone they hire is dyslexic or something. It's not like you'd want to find the beer by name or anything! :lol:

Komes Baltic Porter
Pretty sure this is the one I hauled back from Danzig 3.5 years ago in my suitcase. Cool.

Many interesting beers I will try!
2016 Bourbon Barrel Quad $15.95
Okay... almost a two-dollar price increase and it didn't sell fast the last time. Makes me go 'hmmh...' :-?
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Thanks Cass for posting.

I hate to be a party pooper but how many of these will see the light of day considering 8 of 12 Autumn releases are still MIA.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

As usual, the winter release looks to be the best by miles.

Is the price on that Komes porter right? 500 mL of 9% baltic porter for $3.20 is pretty good. There are a couple of Quads in there I haven't gotten to try yet, so that's nice.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Not a bad list at all. Happy to see St. Ambroise RIS and Karmeliet. I tried the La Mackroken Scotch Honey Ale a couple years back and it's fantastic.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

As a big fan of potent and soulful malt-forward beers, there is plenty in the above list to get excited about :D

I presume the Cuvee du Chateau is from Van Honsebrouck? Anyone know how this one compares to their Kasteel Donker if so?

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Also, any visibility on which Abbaye des Rocs beer will be available? I sort of just assumed the Grand Cru given the general theme of the release but it doesn't actually specify.
Last edited by Provost Drunk on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Pretty nice price on the Abbaye des Rocs...but damn do those beers throw off some serious sediment after time in the cellar. Drink fresh or have a strainer ready.
Here's to the slow path.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Pretty nice price on the Abbaye des Rocs...but damn do those beers throw off some serious sediment after time in the cellar. Drink fresh or have a strainer ready.
Or we could just shake the sediment into the beer a few days before opening it? Abbaye des Rocs. is goddamn fine stuff and I see no point in wasting the suspended solids.... by the way I'm doing this with Rochefort 10 every time.
In Beerum Veritas

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Belgian wrote:Or we could just shake the sediment into the beer a few days before opening it?
No. Sediment is probably polite; nasty chunky floating sludge is maybe more accurate. It's almost like a magic trick: Behold as a cup of crap suddenly appears in a sealed bottle of beer... It is a nice beer, though.

With Rochefort, agitating cellared bottles is a good idea because a lot of the flavour and body is in the sediment. I find they can taste a bit thin and harsh if the stuff drops out of suspension.
Here's to the slow path.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
Belgian wrote:Or we could just shake the sediment into the beer a few days before opening it?
No. Sediment is probably polite; nasty chunky floating sludge is maybe more accurate. It's almost like a magic trick: Behold as a cup of crap suddenly appears in a sealed bottle of beer... It is a nice beer, though.
With Rochefort, agitating cellared bottles is a good idea because a lot of the flavour and body is in the sediment. I find they can taste a bit thin and harsh if the stuff drops out of suspension.
Ahh. We share a brain brother, with Rochefort anyway. I did not realize ADR was such a nasty mess one needed a beer strainer, that's really a new one for me and I look forward to it with baleful apprehension.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

The Cuvee is not as sugary sweet as the Donker. I opened them both side by side
Provost Drunk wrote:As a big fan of potent and soulful malt-forward beers, there is plenty in the above list to get excited about :D

I presume the Cuvee du Chateau is from Van Honsebrouck? Anyone know how this one compares to their Kasteel Donker if so?

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I'm happy to see Ten Fidy is returning. It's an incredible stout and the 355ml can makes it easy to enjoy all to yourself. They also stack up well in a cellar if you want to tuck a few away for a rainy day.