Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Barrel House

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Barrel House

Post by Cass »

Anyone been?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

yup, close to home
Reliable Beer Critic

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

northyorksammy wrote:yup, close to home
Your thoughts?
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yes, maybe I should have been more specific. For those who have been, what did you think? Worth the trip to Leaside?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

not yet, unless you are close by, ie. at the main brewery. Only one unique tap is on, and its been basic.
Reliable Beer Critic

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i dropped by yesterday. not sure if i misunderstood a tweet, but i wanted to grab some bottles of the barleywine.
i thought that they had a small brewhouse at the barrel house, so assumed they'd be selling bottles.
went inside and it looks quite different than Against the Grain. looks like a Keg.
i asked the hostess if they sold bottles there. told her i was looking for the barleywine. she said that, no, bottles aren't for purchase there, so if i want a bottle of barleywine, go down the street to the brewery.
so i did.
got to the brewery and they said, oh no, the barleywine's for table service only at the Barrel House. ok.
but if i want something similar, they have an imperial stout I can buy.
i left, emptyhanded.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I've had some co-workers go at lunch and said it was some of the worst food they've had in a while. The pulled pork was super dry and beer is quite expensive for having their own taps. Bummed as I had high hopes for this place.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

They can't have a bottle shop there under Ontario's current liquor laws. Only two bottle shops per manufacturer.
atomeyes wrote:i dropped by yesterday. not sure if i misunderstood a tweet, but i wanted to grab some bottles of the barleywine.
i thought that they had a small brewhouse at the barrel house, so assumed they'd be selling bottles.
went inside and it looks quite different than Against the Grain. looks like a Keg.
i asked the hostess if they sold bottles there. told her i was looking for the barleywine. she said that, no, bottles aren't for purchase there, so if i want a bottle of barleywine, go down the street to the brewery.
so i did.
got to the brewery and they said, oh no, the barleywine's for table service only at the Barrel House. ok.
but if i want something similar, they have an imperial stout I can buy.
i left, emptyhanded.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

mistermurphy wrote:They can't have a bottle shop there under Ontario's current liquor laws. Only two bottle shops per manufacturer.

Why wouldn't they write it as one bottle shop per site? Sigh.
lister

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

DeMarco wrote:I've had some co-workers go at lunch and said it was some of the worst food they've had in a while. The pulled pork was super dry and beer is quite expensive for having their own taps. Bummed as I had high hopes for this place.
I sure hope they didn't repeat the mistake they made at harbourfront and get the Gabby's hacks to run their kitchen. It's sad to see local 'craft' beer paired with freezer-to-fryer factory food.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Tapsucker wrote:
DeMarco wrote:I've had some co-workers go at lunch and said it was some of the worst food they've had in a while. The pulled pork was super dry and beer is quite expensive for having their own taps. Bummed as I had high hopes for this place.
I sure hope they didn't repeat the mistake they made at harbourfront and get the Gabby's hacks to run their kitchen. It's sad to see local 'craft' beer paired with freezer-to-fryer factory food.
pretty sure that's what they've done.
FAB/Gabby's.
and not ragging on them, but seeing the FoodSafe warning that QQ had (no soap for staff??) you would expect more from a corporate machine than that.