Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

"This year’s version of Kentucky Bastard will be released in early December in a limited run of wax-dipped 500 ml bottles that will be available at the Nickel Brook retail store and select bars and restaurants while supplies last."

no lcbo this year? I like the smaller format..

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

nickw wrote:I presume that there's still going to be a wider rollout of the Founders Breakfast Stout and Backwoods Bastard in Toronto stores?
I'm sure there will be. It's Toronto. They'll also likely bring you your slippers and the remote :P

Jerk_Store

Post by Jerk_Store »

spinrsx wrote:"This year’s version of Kentucky Bastard will be released in early December in a limited run of wax-dipped 500 ml bottles that will be available at the Nickel Brook retail store and select bars and restaurants while supplies last."

no lcbo this year? I like the smaller format..
"Bottles will be available at the brewery Bottle Shop, and wherever exceptional beers are sold while supplies last starting December 9th."

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Glad to hear Kentucky Bastard is in 500ml bottles. Too bad it's not in the LCBO though. I found the below quote in their announcement to be a bit rich. It never sold out quickly. How will it get to more people by limited distribution? Oh well.
New this year: this year’s batch will be released in 500ml wax-sealed bottles. We can only make a limited amount of this beer every year, and we wanted to give as many people as possible the chance to try this incredible beer. It sells out quickly every year, so switching to a smaller bottle allows us to get more bottles out there for people to enjoy.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I like the smaller format, but I'm guessing this comes with a cost per ml increase. My guess is this will be prices at $12.95 for a 500ml.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

beerstodiscover wrote:I like the smaller format, but I'm guessing this comes with a cost per ml increase. My guess is this will be prices at $12.95 for a 500ml.
The latest LCBO Food & Drink magazine featured KB and listed it at $14.95 for the 500ml version.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

walz22 wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:I like the smaller format, but I'm guessing this comes with a cost per ml increase. My guess is this will be prices at $12.95 for a 500ml.
The latest LCBO Food & Drink magazine featured KB and listed it at $14.95 for the 500ml version.
Ouch! A dollar cheaper than last year's 750ml bottle, though a dollar more than Bellwoods' barrel aged beers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

walz22 wrote:The latest LCBO Food & Drink magazine featured KB and listed it at $14.95 for the 500ml version.
I can't blame them if it's a very consistent quality bottling this year - I recall 2016 was good on tap. It seems to vary by degree of the bourbon oak effect. Likely will enjoy a nip of this quality liquid comestible on tap somewhere like Bar Hop 1 or Thirsty & Miserable.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

My email from NB says it’s going to be at the LC.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I'm in line at the LCBO pop-up for BCBS. There are apparently 200 bottles and I've got ticket 128 having shown up just after 9:30. I'd estimate about 140 are spoken for based on the line up behind me.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

Lots of people got back in line for seconds though.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Charchuk wrote:Lots of people got back in line for seconds though.
I noticed that as well. Lots were already holding one bottle when in line for a second, so clearly the LCBO had no problem with the practice. I'm content with the one bottle that I picked up. It rang in at $22.99, so a couple dollars cheaper than advertised. Every little bit counts the way I spent money on booze this time of year!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

What price is bcbs selling for in the states?

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

spinrsx wrote:What price is bcbs selling for in the states?
From what I've read, generally it goes for $9.99 at bottle shops/grocery stores and $8.99 at Costco. 1 or 2 bottle limits... sometimes no limits. Depending on where you live, you do need to put in some time chasing it down and/or waiting in line. Shops and states are given higher allotments and more variants depending on how much regular Goose Island products they sell throughout the year. Michigan gets very little BCBS (and variants) because people aren't buying 312 and Honkers all year... they're buying Bells, Founders, Shorts, etc. This year Michigan shops only got regular and the barley wine. I think this is why you hear about it lingering on the shelves in places like rural Iowa or upstate NY or selling out super fast in places like Detroit. It doesn't get distributed to who wants it the most.

$10 USD is about $12 CAD. The LCBO's $22.90 price was no doubt a big mark up. However, I've always wanted to try it and waiting in line this morning was much less of a ball ache than driving to and around Buffalo. No regrets.

skootles

Post by skootles »

I'm sure it varies from place to place but I found this place in Texas selling it for $10.99 ea.