Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

London, Ontario and Area

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ForkedRiver wrote: Hey Guys! Sorry it took so long to get a post up here! Hopefully you have got a decent amount of info from our other bits of media!

Yes we will have a balanced, but late wort hopped Blonde ale which won two gold medals at BJCP events (Beaus Pro-Am, and CABA) last year. It's a sessionable blonde at about 4.7% with a healthy dose of Amarillo at the finish. It's called Capital Blonde Ale (London was supposed to be the Capital of Upper Canada according to Simcoe)

Our other offering is called Riptide Rye Pale Ale. Were not getting into IPA territory with this one (although we have discussed an Extra Riptide). It's solidly in the APA category, although it has a significant percentage of Rye in it to give it a bit more mouthfeel and the spicy/pepper notes. Again late wort hopped for a good aroma (note not dry hopped, that would be for Extra Riptide). Classic C hops in this one too.

Were estimating the first batches coming out in April, were in the final buildout stages of the brewery. We will have the sampling space, and it's an open concept brewery so you will be able to see all the nice stainless tanks. Bottles and Growlers available at the brewery. We also are planning to do some cask ales, and will eventually do some barrel aging work too. We need to source some barrels.

Hope that helps out with what were doing! I'm Dave the Founder. If you have any questions fire away.

Also we are planning some seasonals and rotationals as well. Hammering down details for the first seasonal, but our focus is something that hasn't been seen in Ontario or is very underrepresented. And different than our other beers.
Thanks for the updates Dave. I look forward to trying your beers in the very near future (esp. the RPA). London is long overdue for this!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

ForkedRiver

Post by ForkedRiver »

Well the news is out! Were opening the doors on Sat Jun 8th from 11 to 4 for Bottle/Growler sales as well as shirts, hats and hopefully our glassware will be in.

And of course samples will be pouring too!

45 Pacific Crt Unit 16!

Also be sure to check out our webpage www.forkedriverbrewing.com

Hopefully we will see you guys out on the 8th!
Forked River Brewing Company
www.forkedriverbrewing.com
www.facebook.com/ForkedRiverBrewing
@forkedriverbrew

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ForkedRiver wrote: Well the news is out! We're opening the doors on Sat Jun 8th from 11 to 4 for Bottle/Growler sales as well as shirts, hats and hopefully our glassware will be in. And of course samples will be pouring too! 45 Pacific Court Unit 16! Also be sure to check out our webpage at www.forkedriverbrewing.com. Hopefully we will see you guys out on the 8th!
Fantastic news. I'll definitely be dropping in for some samples and a growler fill. The website is very impressive BTW.

Since we're on the topic of London's beer scene, I may as well take this opportunity to announce some other happenings around town.

Beertown Public House London is slated to open for early July in the city's north end, right across from Masonville Place. Their Facebook page has hinted the draught lineup will be similar to the K-W locations - i.e. Beau's Lug-Tread, Delirium Tremens, Innis & Gunn Original, and Fruli on tap - but also says they've "added a number of new beers to the list" (which ones, we're not told). The signage is up and it looks like they're gonna have a large patio as well.

No one ever announced that Milos' Craft Beer Emporium recently installed a second cask engine. Well, now ya know. They're also currently pouring Forked River's Riptide Rye PA and new bottles from Cantillon and De Ranke just arrived. I'm sure Milos has at least one or two things planned for Ontario Craft Beer (OCB) Week, but at the moment the London Beer & BBQ Show is the only local event that's been formally announced.

The APK is doing regular tap features where they offer 5 different draughts from one brewery and have a rep come in to talk about the beers. Great Lakes and Muskoka were the first to be featured and Flying Monkeys is scheduled for June 20th. They've been calling them "tap takeovers" but that title doesn't make sense as they currently have 11 active lines.

Finally, the second annual Forest City Beer Fest will be happening on Saturday, August 3rd at Museum London, with one session in the afternoon and a second in the evening. According to their Facebook page, tickets will be going on sale "very soon." No lineup has been announced yet but the festival organizer says several brewers have already committed to attending. IMHO the new venue will work well for this type of event. That's all I've got for now.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

If any London folk are around this weekend, John (JB84) and I are heading down and are up for some meet ups. We're staying at the Delta so I know we'll be going to Milos', not sure where else though yet.

Cheers
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Kish84 wrote: If any London folk are around this weekend, John (JB84) and I are heading down and are up for some meet ups. We're staying at the Delta so I know we'll be going to Milos', not sure where else though yet. Cheers
Check your inbox.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Finally made it to Milo's when I was visiting my Mom for my birthday. Excellent pub and I had my first glass of this years Black Oak Nutcracker Porter. I also had cask Headstock IPA and local Forked River Rye Pale Ale which was fantastic and would like to find it in the GTA. The only problem with Milo's was none of the beers were served in 20 ounce glasses. When I mentioned this to the server she replied that they use the glasses the brewers give them. Will return the next time I'm in London. On the way back to my Mom's house we stopped for gas in Thamesford and there was Mac's convience store attached to the gas station which was a LCBO Agency Store that had two craft beers, Mill Street Tankhouse and Muskoka Mad Tom. Did not expect to find craft beer in a LCBO Agency Store

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Some updates for locals and anyone visiting the London area in the near future:

1) Homebrewer, Flying Monkeys collaborator, and Pub Milos bartender Adil Ahmed and his friend, Nick Baird, have started brewing house beers for Milos' Craft Beer Emporium under the banner Beer Lab London. The beers are being brewed at Forked River and are available on a rotating basis at Milos'. So far they've brewed a Mild Ale called Subtle Charm, a Double IPA (Astro Zombie, I believe), and a coffee Oatmeal Stout called Lovebuzz that was pouring on nitro. Not sure what their next beer is or whether they have plans to expand distribution. In any case, it's a very encouraging development.

2) After years of pouring macros and a handful of micro taps, The Morrissey House has finally decided to go all-craft with their draught lineup. One can speculate on the motives and criticize The Mo for taking so long to do this, but it's undeniably great news for London. The changes are slated to take effect July 1st (presumably they have to get rid of their current stock).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Some details on the new London brewery Anderson Craft Ales, opening August 6th: http://bit.ly/29Ya3Su

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

For Londoners who may not know, or those visiting, London Brewing Co-op has moved out of the Root Cellar and into their own space. They're re-opening this Sat Feb 25th at 521 Burbrook Place, N5W4B5. Same building as On The Move Organics.
(226) 667-6363
Only open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 12-9 PM.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Another new brewery opened in London on Wednesday. Storm Stayed brewery and taproom is located in the city's Old South neighbourhood and is launching with a robust porter, Berliner weisse, and hoppy American pale ale. I don't know the owners personally but I know they are longtime homebrewers and beer nerds and frequent patrons of Milos' so I have high hopes that the quality of the beer will be quite good. I'll be visiting this weekend and will report back with my thoughts soon.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I'm in London pretty frequently and have been waiting for Storm Stayed to open, it looks promising. I'll be there next time i'm out that way

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

There is a new running store with craft beer tap room. I haven't been, a friend of mine was at their opening. They also are starting their own hop yard to sell to local breweries.

Backroads - 1295 Riverbend Road, London, N6K 0G2, (519) 636-8420 | Website: https://www.backroadslondon.com/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

ErkLR wrote:There is a new running store with craft beer tap room. I haven't been, a friend of mine was at their opening. They also are starting their own hop yard to sell to local breweries.

Backroads - 1295 Riverbend Road, London, N6K 0G2, (519) 636-8420 | Website: https://www.backroadslondon.com/
What did your friend think of the opening? I want to keep an open mind but there are multiple things that suggest I probably won't like this place. For starters, while craft beer is sorely lacking in the west end, I'm not sure super-upscale and almost-in-Komoka River Bend is the best location for a beer bar. I'm also skeptical of the running/fitness focus, and wonder if this will alienate beer nerds who couldn't give a lick about either (i.e. will the taproom be a welcoming place to people who just want to drink good beer and not talk about their glutes?). Finally, looking at Backroads' branding/marketing, location, and storefront, I get the sense that craft beer and those who enjoy drinking it will take a back seat to this being an upscale, yuppy social club for runners and other fitness types. That said, hopefully I'm dead wrong and Backroads kicks ass. I'll definitely give it a shot since I stay not too far from here when visiting London. Fingers crossed that it doesn't suck.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

cratez wrote:
ErkLR wrote:There is a new running store with craft beer tap room. I haven't been, a friend of mine was at their opening. They also are starting their own hop yard to sell to local breweries.

What did your friend think of the opening? I want to keep an open mind but there are multiple things that suggest I probably won't like this place. For starters, while craft beer is sorely lacking in the west end, I'm not sure super-upscale and almost-in-Komoka River Bend is the best location for a beer bar. I'm also skeptical of the running/fitness focus, and wonder if this will alienate beer nerds who couldn't give a lick about either (i.e. will the taproom be a welcoming place to people who just want to drink good beer and not talk about their glutes?). Finally, looking at Backroads' branding/marketing, location, and storefront, I get the sense that craft beer and those who enjoy drinking it will take a back seat to this being an upscale, yuppy social club for runners and other fitness types. That said, hopefully I'm dead wrong and Backroads kicks ass. I'll definitely give it a shot since I stay not too far from here when visiting London. Fingers crossed that it doesn't suck.
I haven't had the chance to talk to him since he was there. I thought it was an odd combination, though not surprising that my friend who went to the opening is into both running and craft beer. If it's an upscale neighbourhood, they may have the right combo of fitness and craft, since I assume if the modern yuppies drink beer at all, it's craft. At least until a new fad comes along. We'll see how they do, good luck to them.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

If you had to go to one or two bottle shops, right now, what would you choose? Mostly interested in ipas or sours.