Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote:Black Oak White Out Winter Lager
Where did you get this? Nothing about it on their website.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
cratez wrote:Black Oak White Out Winter Lager
Where did you get this? Nothing about it on their website.
At the brewery retail store. They posted about the release on their Instagram account. But a word of caution - it smells and tastes exactly like the Oaktoberfest, which makes me wonder whether it's the same beer, or only a slightly different recipe from the marzen. I was much more impressed with the Duotron, which they released at the same time. Great hoppy session lager in the vein of Paper Tiger and some of the better India Pale Lagers out there (but lighter).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Left Field Bricks & Mortar Coffee Porter. Only my second beer from this brewery after Laser Show a few day ago. So far I'm impressed. I have a Sunlight Park Saison waiting for another day, although I understand the reviews are not as good as the other two.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BeerIsGood wrote:Left Field Bricks & Mortar Coffee Porter. Only my second beer from this brewery after Laser Show a few day ago. So far I'm impressed. I have a Sunlight Park Saison waiting for another day, although I understand the reviews are not as good as the other two.
I've enjoyed Left Field's saisons, but they're definitely simpler and less complex executions of the style. Personally I think they're best enjoyed as warm weather beers, very crisp and refreshing. Based on their Instagram I believe Sweet Jesus Mocha Marshmallow Stout is coming back soon, which I can't recommend enough. I was hesitant at first because it sounded gimmicky, but it's really quite excellent.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Collective Arts Imperial Porter. Extremely dark, good head, quite creamy and delicious. I have really fallen in love with this brewery since returning to Canada at the end of August.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At the CBS launch event at Bar Hop Brewco:
Founders Lizard Of Koz (draft)
Founders Azacca IPA (draft)
Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout (draft)

Very enjoyable, well-organized event with none of the pandemonium I expected. Had no trouble ordering and finding seats, there was a nice spread of food available, and it was a good, d bag-free crowd. Draft pours were generous (10oz and 15oz for imperial and regular strength beers, respectively), though at $8.95 a pop that's as it should be. CBS on tap was well worth the effort to attend. The Lizard was also a welcomed surprise - very sweet, tart, and viscous and one of the more interesting impy stouts that I've had. The draft Azacca was good but there are better locally-made IPAs and I think the bottled version is superior. Overall we had a great time and I look forward to attending more Brewco-hosted events in the future.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

BeerIsGood wrote:Collective Arts Imperial Porter. Extremely dark, good head, quite creamy and delicious. I have really fallen in love with this brewery since returning to Canada at the end of August.

I was just thinking the other day, that they've probably bumped their way to the top of Ontario breweries for me(as far as being available everywhere and not having to specifically go to the brewery to get)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2017 St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe (Bourbon Oak aged RIS)

This is a good Impy, the hops are still a bit grassy and the wood is lightly astringent. The most recent St. Amby RIS I opened before this was 7.5 years old and ageing into a real beauty. It can therefore use time to integrate.

Worth hiding a few away to sleep at the currently-offered price ($3.85.)
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:2017 St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe (Bourbon Oak aged RIS)

This is a good Impy, the hops are still a bit grassy and the wood is lightly astringent. The most recent St. Amby RIS I opened before this was 7.5 years old and ageing into a real beauty. It can therefore use time to integrate.

I hope the same applies to the 2017's because the 1st bottle of the 10 I bought seemed a bit of a mess to me.
words i used to describe it: sharp, boozy, tarry, burnt wood, too bitter/hoppy for a stout
@markhamwhisky

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Halcyon Barrel House Infinity Mirror Brett IPA — Nose to die for, loads of brett and pineapple. Drinks like some Orvals I've had. Clean brett character shines, bone dry finish and bitter edge. Interesting brew.

10 Fidy — Damn, this is one heckuva stout.

Harviestoun Ola Dubh (12 Year Old) — I've been ignoring these releases for too long. Truly unique brew in a hard-to-find style. Lots of dark fruity malt, whiskey-soaked raisins.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:
Belgian wrote:2017 St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe (Bourbon Oak aged RIS)

I hope the same applies to the 2017's because the 1st bottle of the 10 I bought seemed a bit of a mess to me.
words i used to describe it: sharp, boozy, tarry, burnt wood, too bitter/hoppy for a stout
Yes I would assume that's how it is with this beer. It's not a sleek package when new, it seems very old school not a modern barrel aged thing. I still like it, the aroma is great, some chocolate and bourbon and dark bready malts.
I'm pretty sure SA must add cut up bourbon oak barrels to the vat for ageing based on the astringency, that is just the nature of oak tannins when you expose more of the grain of the wood - although this is at least aged oak and not new wood. It helps ageing. I agree the bittering hops may be a little strong when new, again they too may help preserve the beer for a good few years of sleep. I recall Tempest was a bit 'green' from the hops when new & improved over time.

Personally I think the 2017 will age well and get smoother. I have been right about this one before but it's totally your call. CBS is the one I would drink sooner than later because it's so balanced right now and what could it possibly gain from long cellar time.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Like a couple of others in the last day or so I am having the 2017 St. Ambroise RIS. I like it now because I enjoy some raunch and roughness in my RIS's, but I can also understand why some might be initially put off. I only bought four, but will likely pick up a few more tomorrow and let most of them sleep for a while.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Mascot Pilsner

Excellent bitterness for my taste.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:Halcyon Barrel House Infinity Mirror Brett IPA — Nose to die for, loads of brett and pineapple. Drinks like some Orvals I've had. Clean brett character shines, bone dry finish and bitter edge. Interesting brew.
That was quite a three-fer you just had (TenFidy, OlaDubh12) & Infinity Mirror from the bottle is indeed good - although I think bottle needs a swirl to bring all the flavors, the fullness of that pineapple type thing. Plenty going on.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:Halcyon Barrel House Infinity Mirror Brett IPA — Nose to die for, loads of brett and pineapple. Drinks like some Orvals I've had. Clean brett character shines, bone dry finish and bitter edge. Interesting brew.

10 Fidy — Damn, this is one heckuva stout.

Harviestoun Ola Dubh (12 Year Old) — I've been ignoring these releases for too long. Truly unique brew in a hard-to-find style. Lots of dark fruity malt, whiskey-soaked raisins.

Drank the infinity mirror on Sunday night also, a very nice beer. Tropical flavours mixing perfectly with the funk and wine barrel. I was very impressed, I would say though, that for me it's missing most of the IPA characteristics.

@the Wooly last night where there's still all sorts of goodies left over from the Great Lakes tap takeover. Stuck to half pints to try more.
Got through : Great Lakes 30 anniversary Pinot noir barrel aged quad-the beer is a stone cold killer in all levels. The 11ish percent is completely unnoticeable, the tannins and acidity from the barrel balance the sweetness perfectly. I was with 5 other people and this beer was so good that everyone ended up getting one as well.
Great Lakes etobichoker IPA-good stuff that had a lot of Bubblegummy banana notes going on, not what I was expecting. Tasted a lot like a Belgian IPA. Maybe I got served the wrong beer, can't remember if there was a bargain IPA on the list or not.
Great lakes*amsterdamn Ezra cider barrel aged farmhouse-s super tasty drink, which would be perfect for the summer. Great dry finish.
Great lakes*block 3 Things you can't say wild saison-not to much about this comes to memory, I remember thinking it had some typical saison things going on, and for some reason actually felt really really thin
Great lakes*HHOE middle of nowhere sour-another show stopper. Fantastic mango/melon/white grapefruit notes, perfect sourness and beautiful finish. It had actually a bit of a neipa feel to the flavours. I'd put this on par maybe even above the best Jelly kings that I've had. Bartender actually said this is the most expensive keg they've ever bought.

All in all they were actually all really good beers. The list we were given had 25 or so beers on it. The 30 anniversary RIS was also a big hit, although I never rated it. I highly recommend anyone in the area to swing by in the next day or two and get some of these beers while they're still on.