Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stalwart Brewing beer removed by LCBO after one day on sale

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Stalwart Brewing beer removed by LCBO after one day on sale

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Time for another discussion on 'social responsibility'?

I just don't know what to think about this.

http://www.momandhops.ca/stalwart-brewi ... y-on-sale/

S M A

Post by S M A »

Wow.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Their label got through the review process and made it on shelves, then got pulled, which makes me think it might have been the result of a complaint.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is there a version of a label with that name that they would accept?

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

could they slap a sticker over the "offensive" part?

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

GtownRandy wrote:could they slap a sticker over the "offensive" part?
A better solution would be to slap everyone involved in making this asinine decision

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

WTF! Just when I think I've been exposed to every possible idiotic situation/decision/idea...A new one presents itself.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I would agree, that some doctor probably saw this and complained either directly or through their association.

portwood

Post by portwood »

I could understand if this was pulled from grocery store distribution*, but from stores that sell nothing but liquor? :roll:

(*argument could be made that someone might believe it could have medicinal properties when the pharmacy next to the beer aisle has bottles with similar logos - the rx/snake thing)
@markhamwhisky

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

It's a terrible decision, but the real problem is that it came late. If you want to be overly careful and ban the label, fine. But this was approved and yanked at the last minute. I'd be thinking about recouping costs in the courtroom.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Such a stupid decision for such a good beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

beerstodiscover wrote:It's a terrible decision, but the real problem is that it came late. If you want to be overly careful and ban the label, fine. But this was approved and yanked at the last minute. I'd be thinking about recouping costs in the courtroom.
I am sure that any brewery thinking about suing the LCBO would be nervous about suing one of the only retail outlets available to them...

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

JerCraigs wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:It's a terrible decision, but the real problem is that it came late. If you want to be overly careful and ban the label, fine. But this was approved and yanked at the last minute. I'd be thinking about recouping costs in the courtroom.
I am sure that any brewery thinking about suing the LCBO would be nervous about suing one of the only retail outlets available to them...
Lots of grocery stores selling beer in Ontario these days.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

LMAO but the LCBO is okay selling St. Peters beers in medicine looking bottles.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Apparently the LCBO is getting stricter and stricter on enforcing their crazy label requirements.

Seems many breweries who have been around longer know to steer clear of anything *remotely* close to bad text/graphics topics, with Doctors and medicine being a well known one. Too bad such information isn't shared with newbies.

Also, new brewery Clear Lake was rejected by the LCBO, because of their logo. Even worse for them...not just one beer, but their entire BRAND is blacklisted unless they change.