Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

seangm wrote:I guess I'm the only person in the world who didn't like IPA No. 5. I found it to be too sweet with a muddled taste and aroma. Unpleasant mouthfeel, thick and cloying as it warmed. It certainly had a big hit of citra hops, but I found it to be a more is less kind of deal. Maybe this NE IPA thing isn't for me? I don't like any so-called milkshake IPAs very much either, perhaps I'm just "old school".
Yeah, seems a few people I follow on Untappd feel the same way (no interest or lost interest in the NE IPA or "milkshake" style). I really enjoyed No. 5 but can understand the style isn't for everyone. I still love a solid west coast style IPA just as much.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Quotashun wrote:
seangm wrote:I guess I'm the only person in the world who didn't like IPA No. 5. I found it to be too sweet with a muddled taste and aroma. Unpleasant mouthfeel, thick and cloying as it warmed. It certainly had a big hit of citra hops, but I found it to be a more is less kind of deal. Maybe this NE IPA thing isn't for me? I don't like any so-called milkshake IPAs very much either, perhaps I'm just "old school".
Yeah, seems a few people I follow on Untappd feel the same way (no interest or lost interest in the NE IPA or "milkshake" style). I really enjoyed No. 5 but can understand the style isn't for everyone. I still love a solid west coast style IPA just as much.
There have definitely been some NE IPAs that I've enjoyed, the NB Mystery Pack one comes to mind, but it seems the ones I like are examples that still retain a decent bitterness. As soon as they get too sweet or viscous I have trouble finishing them. I do enjoy lactose and sweeter/creamier profiles in stouts though, just seems to be the combination with hoppy pale ales that doesn't work for me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mon Feb 05, 2018
Collective Arts #5 IPA (double IPA) - great stuff for the trending NE IPA style

St-Feuillien Cuvée de Noël - huge head in pour, amazing wonderful beer, presents rooty kola spice and dryness, both tangy fruit and sweet dried dark fruit. A (easy-going) reference point for Belgian Strong Ale Complexity. Also there's bread, chocolate, hop dryness, a bit of an 'Umami' stock/mushroom thing going on. For all its layers it's also fun to drink, as the palate is not heavy like say Chimay Bleue.

Tues 06
Omnipollo Zodiak IPA - one of the best things going right now. If I may quote a fairly perfect description:
Hogtown Harry (on RateBeer) wrote:Taste is quite lemon/citrus zest forward, more alcohol, but less resin - decently dry ... I can't put my finger on why, but I am seriously digging this flavour. Average body and carbonation, lightly astringent, with a quick, crisp lightly catty medium-length gently bitter finish and minimal linger. Damn - this is a fine drinker.
Although the CA #5 DIPA might be even better! I am enjoying the fullness and tropical fruit / pine of this one.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Very strange. I just opened a Collective Arts IPA 5. Instead of hazy golden yellow, it's dirty water brown. I'd post a pic if I new how here. Any comments on this?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

BeerIsGood wrote:Very strange. I just opened a Collective Arts IPA 5. Instead of hazy golden yellow, it's dirty water brown. I'd post a pic if I new how here. Any comments on this?
Sounds like a bad can. How does it taste? I'd send CA the pic. They will probably make you whole, if it really is a bad batch. Also, what's the canning date/batch number? Mine was Jan 15 and was nothing like dirty water.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

beerstodiscover wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:Very strange. I just opened a Collective Arts IPA 5. Instead of hazy golden yellow, it's dirty water brown. I'd post a pic if I new how here. Any comments on this?
Sounds like a bad can. How does it taste? I'd send CA the pic. They will probably make you whole, if it really is a bad batch. Also, what's the canning date/batch number? Mine was Jan 15 and was nothing like dirty water.
My batch is also January 15th on all four cans purchase today. I still have the empties of previous ones I've drank, so I'm curious about those dates as well. Smell and taste are way, way off. An edit, I did send the pic to Collective Arts. Awaiting their response. One further edit. Bought four today, as previously stated, all dated Jan. 15th. I have now opened them all. Two were bad, two good. To be clear, I have never previously had a bad can from CA.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm going to buy more of the Collective Arts #5 DIPA from the Danforth store, that batch is so great.

Now loving:
Godspeed Imperial Pale Lager (with Australian Hops) - like a German-esque Noble Hop bomb. Bitter.
Godspeed Ochame Green Tea IPA - I can tell there is excellent tea in this, it adds beautiful mineral, sweet florals and tannin so these tea-infused GS ales will most certainly be a very original and interesting venture. It's basically a hybrid of cold-brew tea and pale ale.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Red's Wine Tavern:
Blood Brothers Milk Of The Poppy (draft)

At beerbistro:
Driftwood Naughty Hildegard ESB (draft)
Founders Azacca IPA (draft)

At home:
Great Lakes & Hungry Brew Hops Dmitrij Fong Red IPA
Collective Arts IPA No. 5
Indie Alehouse Zombie Apocalypse
Bell's Hopslam Ale

Agree with the majority of posters that the No. 5 is drinking fantastic right now. No QC issues with my cans.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Modern Times Fortunate Islands pale ale — Drinking my second can confirms my suspicion: this tastes very much like Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. That's a good thing. Holding up pretty well for 3-months old. Assuming the distribution bottleneck was in Ontario, it's probably wiser to pick up old-ish hoppy beer in Feb, as wherever it was languishing was likely colder.

Badlands Brewing Distorted Re(ale)ity pale ale — Damn, this is surprising good. Satisfies like an IPA, delicious tropical fruit hoppiness and NE-style sweetish malt. A Beer Store gem.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

CA IPA 5-my last can I've got of this stuff and I need to get more. Love it.

Moor Return if the Empire IPA-my first beer from this brewery and very enjoyable. Unquestionably English IPA, quite malty, orange undertones,grassy-straw,high on the minerality, hops seem a bit faded,nice.

Moor Claudia hopped wheat-a tasty hoppy wheat ale, not my favourite style but tasty none the less.

Moor Raw bitter-really quite underwhelming, and I love a good bitter. Just didn't do much for me. Easy drinking and refreshing, but give me a Fullers any day.

Tempest Pale Armadillo-probably the weakest beer I've had from Tempest. Even by SIPA standards it's a bit thin and meager. Decent enough hop flavours but very average.

Barncat One Love Amarillo-hazy,full mouthfeel, juicy,lemony,guava,a little cilantro like, another solid solid beer from Barncat.
EDIT-drinking another growler tonifht(Sunday) and still tasting great, but a little green, which is don't pick up on last night.
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:CA IPA 5-my last can I've got of this stuff and I need to get more. Love it.
You'd better move fast and be prepared to travel. This stuff is selling fast.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:CA IPA 5-my last can I've got of this stuff and I need to get more. Love it.
I agree, it's flying off the shelves. I'm in Belleville, not exactly a craft beer lovers haven, and their initial order is gone. There are 96 more cans on the way, so I'll need to keep my eyes open. I had two bad cans, but the other 14-16 I had were delicious. Still not sure what happened with the two bad ones and have yet to hear back from the brewery.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:

Yeah, Georgetown is actually the closest to me(according to lcbo app) with any stock left. Not really willing to travel there to grab any. Hopefully there's another shipment on the way

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I'm having a beautiful Rochefort 10. From the last big batch of Rochefort released by the LCBO in 2010. BB date of Sep 2016 so almost 7 years old and it's aging wonderfully. Still lots cellaring and I'm looking forward to them.

Any thoughts on long term cellaring? Found this article.
http://www.beerscenemag.com/2010/10/a-t ... ring-beer/

Cheers!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Yesterday at an imperial stout tasting that I organized with some friends:

Bolshevik Bastard
Wellington Imperial Russian Stout
Grande Noirceur
Crew Republic Roundhouse Kick
Birrificio Menaresta Dannata
Fuller's Imperial Stout
MERIT Nowhere
Les Brasseurs RJ Apocalypse
Rat Queen
Old Rasputin
Yeti
Hellwoods (2016 vintage)
Indie Alehouse Zombie Apocalypse
Sinha Stout
Long Dark Voyage to Uranus
Ten Fidy
Perrin/Oskar Blues/Cigar City Triangulation

Also a couple of bottles of a buddy's homebrewed RIS for good measure!

Fuller's, Rat Queen and Ten Fidy were the standouts for me. Honourable mentions for Hellwoods and Roundhouse Kick. Old Rasputin still isn't my thing; drinking it alongside numerous other example of the style really underscored my initial impression that it drinks more like a black IPA. By comparison, although Yeti is also very aggressively hopped (too much so for my personal tastes), it definitely had more of a robust malt base to help provide some counterbalance.

Always interesting to try a number of beers in succession and see how different brewers interpret the style and this was one of our better line-ups. Shame that none of us had an extra bottle of Stone RIS from last year's LCBO release to donate to the cause and round out the list. Next up, BA imperial stouts!