Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Canadian Centennial Rye ($27) if you like a nice smooth Wheater.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

midlife crisis wrote:Canadian Centennial Rye ($27) if you like a nice smooth Wheater.
thought that was gross TBO

portwood

Post by portwood »

midlife crisis wrote:Canadian Centennial Rye ($27) if you like a nice smooth Wheater.
How is it a Rye if its a "smooth wheater"?
(loaded/rhetorical question :wink: )
@markhamwhisky

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Fair enough. But why may a bourbon be a wheater, if a Canadian whisky (aka "rye") cannot? I get that you are using "rye" in a stricter context. In any event, I liked it.

As for "gross", I don't understand that comment at all. Please elaborate.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Marqués de Toro Finca La Moura 2012 - Mencia

Mencia is the Red grape, Castilla y León is in Northwest Spain. The store staffer at Queen-Coxwell LC 'liked this one, especially for 12.95' - not much of a description, but I always listen so here's the experiment.

Flavor opens a bit immature and rough at first, though there are some dark florals and dark wild berry in there. Kind of sweet light jammy. Aroma a bit acetic, has some earth and herbs that come through in flavor. Sunripe black cherry & bing cherry compote & licorice taste emerges. Later a bit of salty and umami-savory / sweet sundried tomato. Alcohol makes itself known but not rudely. Pleasurable palate with smooth tannins and some mouth-watering acidity. It actually gets better, it has charms. Some good barrel later joins the party, showing spice and vanilla oak.

I'd guess this is a wine to decant for an hour and maybe serve at cellar temp (<> 15ºC), this way it may present better at first. It also might not have the structure to survive a day or so in the fridge after opening, it's a one-day wine I think. * update * its fine the next day, once warmed a little. This Mencia is a bit Shiraz-like in overall character.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:Going up in price, Blanton's "The Original single barrel bourbon" ($70) is a must try
Less than 1/4 left in my bottle yet lcbo only shows a single bottle in the system. Anyone know if this is returning? It’s a great pour.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

La Vieille Ferme Cotes Du Ventoux AOC ("Grenache") 2016

What a nice little Rhône wine for just under eleven bucks (on sale now, till April 01/18.) More finished and polished than I expected for the low price.
Though 'Grenache' it may be by varietal naming laws, it would not surprise me if some Syrah and even a little Carignan snuck into the hypothetical admixture of this great everyday red. (*Edit: this is in fact a Grenache blend with Syrah, Cinsault, Carignan.)

Has a reasonably complete, smooth nose of berry and some herbal 'garrigue' which both carry into the flavors. A bit of ripe jam, some richness on the moderate palate - will appeal to people who appreciate some sweetness and not too much tannin.
I picked this out for the pot seared beef braise (wine style is more fruity than super dry, but it will work) and I also enjoyed trying a good sip of it. A 1.5 liter bottle would be great to reduce it down & and amp up those braising sauce flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
portwood wrote:Going up in price, Blanton's "The Original single barrel bourbon" ($70) is a must try
Less than 1/4 left in my bottle yet lcbo only shows a single bottle in the system. Anyone know if this is returning? It’s a great pour.
I think you're talking about the one with the green label (40%). That's NOT the one I'm talking about!

This is the one you should be looking for!

Not many in stores at the moment but available for online ordering (can be delivered to your local store for free)
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
I think you're talking about the one with the green label (40%). That's NOT the one I'm talking about!

This is the one you should be looking for!

Not many in stores at the moment but available for online ordering (can be delivered to your local store for free)
Weird, I know it wasn’t the green one and that there was only one store with a single bottle. Whatever, thanks the link, I’ll order another as I agree, worth the money.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Belgian wrote:Terra d'Uro Finca La Rana Toro 2012

This is incredible. Grape 'blend' is 100% Tinta de Toro, AKA Tempranillo and this is a character wine that is still approachable. The light French oak toast evenly compliments the (not too sweet) ripe blackberry. A bit of black tea and herbs, mineral, great balance. This is great alongside butter cast iron seared Beretta strip loin.

Spain is becoming discovered. Here's another Tinta de Toro I saw today, Yaso Tinta de Toro 2012.
I cracked my bottle of this the other night and thought it was terrific. Just so drinkable. Thank you for the excellent recommendation. Anyway, this morning I went in search of more, and though they are getting scarce, I found three at Bathurst & Rutherford. To my amazement, they were also marked down 20%, to $15.20. Occasionally the KCBO does throw in a nice little surprise. This wine is a steal at that price, but I have no idea if this was a one-off at that store only. Would have bought more if they had it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2016 Philippe de Rothschild Pinot Noir Pays d'Oc

Super deal on a humble-yet-tasty Pays d'Oc AOC Pinot Noir. Don't expect huge Cru Burgundy red wine complexity but the flavor is indeed full and balanced enough with plenty of identifiable Pinot Noir character. Bing cherry and decent sweetness and acidity. Well done Phil R!

This seems to be far better value than $7.00-9.00 Italian or Argentine reds that have been hyped in the media in recent years. I really bought this to cook with (PN is an awesome braising wine grape) but it's a very decent sipper as well. A very good find. I also noticed a good handful of other regular-list French Bordeaux and other wines are $1.50 to $3.00 off, maybe worth a try at those 'can't be bad for cooking, probably nice for the Chef too' prices. Can't lose I figure.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chateau De Courteillac Bordeaux AOC

Here is a very reasonably-priced Bordeaux (again, on sale - regular 13.95) showing currants, plums and a bit of jammy fruit, wild blueberry and hints of herbal green pepper. A bit spicy and some decent cherry-like acidity. Another bottle I got for the pot, knowing I could also just try it good or not and we're finding it highly sippable all on its own as well. Easy-going but well put together.
(I'm reducing the Pinot Noir & Bordeaux to about 1/2 volume to make a fine, concentrated braising liquid for the Beretta Farms Blade of Beef roast, which after browning the surfaces goes for about 3 hours at 325º. Added a dash of Burmester Tawny Port as well. Browned aromatic vegetables, a single clove, a few crushed juniper and other usual herbs.)

^ 3 more days for these deals, not saying that's the only reason to buy any of these wines as they are decent but a little discount sure doesn't hurt!
It's quite something the way Pinot Noir retains its aromatic character while it simmers in the pot. I won't be buying real $20-25 Burgundy to cook my next Coq au Vin or Oxtail Beef braise when the Rothchild Pays d'Oc serves the purpose so well.

I will also be grabbing a few of the Château Saint-Germain 2016 Bordeaux Supérieur to try since these are currently $3.00 off.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:... will also be grabbing a few of the Château Saint-Germain 2016 Bordeaux Supérieur to try ....
So this isn't bad, nor is it remarkable. Identifiable Bordeaux character (notably Cab Sauv) with a trademark wooly aspect and a relatively light, acidic body. Some light earthy and herbals, tea, wild sour-ish berry/currants and cherry. Kind of one-dimensional - perhaps not worth regular 16.45 price, it lacks any the excitement of eg. Spanish or Rhone/Midi Reds I've mentioned lately! I'll be braising some Oxtail with this one I think, or chicken thighs.

Cabernet Sauvignon · Cabernet Franc · Merlot · Petit Verdot
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Abad Dom Bueno Mencía 2013 Mencia

Really nice, was 3-4 dollars off at the Napanee LC just off the 401 (store had several good bottles at clearout prices.)

I like the blueberry fruit, violet florals and bit of spice and bit of vanilla oak. Good acidity and light to moderate palate. Value.
Got a few bottles of Terra d'Uro Finca La Rana 2012 on discount at this Napanee store, too. An Uncomplicated decision.
It (Mencia grape) was once thought to be an ancient clone of Cabernet Franc, with which it shares some of its aromas, an impression which has been dispelled with DNA profiling.
Instead, DNA profiling carried out by the Department of Vegetal Biology of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid has concluded that Mencía is identical to Portugal's Jaen do Dão[2] (or Jaen for short) grape variety...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:... also have a 2003 Château Lagrézette Cahors Cru d'Exception - this vintage can age upwards of 20 years, but I might open it in the next few. (Posted in 2016)
Pours intense dark garnet / blood red, brown-gold highlights. Taut dry acidic & tannic Malbec feel, showing interesting evolved black and red fruit (cassis, blueberry, bing cherry), bit of oak. Little hints of mineral, rooty licorice spice and cigar box.

I could have aged this another ten years but it's coming along nicely (I probably got this bottle around 2006.)
In Beerum Veritas