Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:Of the three Cascade on offer is there one that stands out?
For me it is absolutely the Sang du Chene but also the Manhattan is no slouch at all. The Apricot is a sour-fest and the easiest on the wallet.

These are all super kick-ass even for the price. Prices are cheap next to comparable effort and cost put into wines, I would say. YMMV.
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Cascade is good... but imo Almanac is so much better. more complex. WAY cheaper :D

Give me Almanac over Cascade any day

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

jeremyg wrote:Cascade is good... but imo Almanac is so much better. more complex. WAY cheaper :D
They are pretty comparable price wise on a per volume basis aren't they?

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

It's not new to the LCBO, but Elora Borealis has never (to my knowledge) made to Eastern Ontario before recently. I was happy to see it on the shelves in Ottawa as I've become a fan from visits to KW. It's made me wonder if there are other great beers available at the LCBO that do not make it this far east.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Odd new listing on the LCBO site - a 650 mL can of Sapporo Premium made by Sleeman.....in Vietnam.

650 mL can
Alcohol/Vol5.0%
Made in:Vietnam
By:Sleeman Brewing & Malting Co
Style:Light & Malty

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Odd new listing on the LCBO site - a 650 mL can of Sapporo Premium made by Sleeman.....in Vietnam.

650 mL can
Alcohol/Vol5.0%
Made in:Vietnam
By:Sleeman Brewing & Malting Co
Style:Light & Malty
Weird. My first instinctive response is that the LCBO website is often inaccurate.

If they're actually brewing Sapporo in Vietnam and shipping it here, though, that's pretty dumb. They own several perfectly good breweries on this side of the ocean.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

darmokandjalad wrote:My first instinctive response is that the LCBO website is often inaccurate.
My thought too. I'm waiting to see the actual can.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:My first instinctive response is that the LCBO website is often inaccurate.
My thought too. I'm waiting to see the actual can.
Saw the can yesterday. Made in Guelph as expected.

Both the LCBO and TBS have some serious deficiencies in how they enter data into their systems.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I can't even count the number of times I've confused Guelph with an independent nation in Southeastern Asia

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

darmokandjalad wrote:I can't even count the number of times I've confused Guelph with an independent nation in Southeastern Asia
:D

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

darmokandjalad wrote:I can't even count the number of times I've confused Guelph with an independent nation in Southeastern Asia

Not far off, if your in certain parts of the city.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Deschutes (black butte porter and fresh squeezed ipa) and Chimay (red and white) kegs listed on TBS website.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

IMO Komes, a hefty, sumptuous 9% Baltic Porter, is really great value at $3.65 for 500ml currently.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Lukie wrote:IMO Komes, a hefty, sumptuous 9% Baltic Porter, is really great value at $3.65 for 500ml currently.
Agreed, and it's also great to see something from Poland that is not a pale lager. There is a real lack of variety in the central/eastern European selection in this province. More baltic porters and dark lagers from that region would be a welcome addition to the shelves.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Lukie wrote:IMO Komes, a hefty, sumptuous 9% Baltic Porter, is really great value at $3.65 for 500ml currently.
Interesting you bring this up. Being an anal accountant I keep track of my "inventory" in a spreadsheet. One of the data points is a calculation of cost/ml of alcohol (i.e. a $5 10% beer is "cheaper" than a $5 6% beer - also accounts for size of can-bottle).

Based on what I have in the house, average cost per ml of alcohol:
American $0.13
European $0.15
Ontario $0.18

Average untappd score:
American 3.67
European 3.51
Ontario 3.47

Yesterday I made a Friday afternoon/vacation/countryside trip to 4 Whitby breweries* (Town, Little Beasts, 5 Paddles, and Brock St) and bought 24 cans/bottles ... only Brock offered anything anywhere close the $4 mark!!!

Took 3 years into my "beer discovery" but I've now realized - with a few exceptions - its financially foolish to be buying beer from local micro breweries! May have to pull back on my Ontario beer spending.

*population: <130,000, :o
@markhamwhisky