Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts - Stranger Than Fiction Porter review

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hoppy's Tavern

Collective Arts - Stranger Than Fiction Porter review

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

Here is a quick review of the Collective Arts - Stranger than fiction

Overall it was a very easy to drink, without any complexity to it

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Complexity means layers of flavour or aroma, you mentioned toasted malt, chocolate, coffee and burnt toast. That implies complexity.

If it was without complexity it would be one-dimensional

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I found it ok but a bit boring myself. Too bad, because Collective Arts has some good beers. This beer could do with some more hops or a more complex yeast strain.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BartOwl wrote:I found it ok but a bit boring myself. Too bad, because Collective Arts has some good beers. This beer could do with some more hops or a more complex yeast strain.
I really liked it, but then Clifford Porter came along and now it's my go-to porter. At the time there were pretty much no regularly available porters though, so Stranger Than Fiction was warmly welcomed. Still not a bad porter, but outclassed by some recent entrants in the local scene.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

seangm wrote:
BartOwl wrote:I found it ok but a bit boring myself. Too bad, because Collective Arts has some good beers. This beer could do with some more hops or a more complex yeast strain.
I really liked it, but then Clifford Porter came along and now it's my go-to porter. At the time there were pretty much no regularly available porters though, so Stranger Than Fiction was warmly welcomed. Still not a bad porter, but outclassed by some recent entrants in the local scene.
Yes. Clifford Porter is good. I think they use a yeast strain that tastes between British and Belgian for me. Cheers.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

GtownRandy wrote:Complexity means layers of flavour or aroma, you mentioned toasted malt, chocolate, coffee and burnt toast. That implies complexity.

If it was without complexity it would be one-dimensional

I get what you are trying to say and probably right, however, my take of "complexity" is an overall picture of the beer.
In this case, the flavour or aromas (as you mention) melding together with other factors, Ex: the balance between the mouthfeel, carbonation, bitterness, the hops, etc.
It all came together nicely and I didn't have to nic pic one by one to figure what I was getting.

Regardless, always learning something new and appreciate the feedback, lot's to learn from you guys.
I enjoyed the beer, it was easy to drink, but I'm still trying to find a Porter or Stout that I really enjoy.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

I like watching your reviews Hoppy I'm relatively new to the craft beer scene and still learning myself. If you're looking for a go to stout give St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout a try.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

ry_kinney wrote:I like watching your reviews Hoppy I'm relatively new to the craft beer scene and still learning myself. If you're looking for a go to stout give St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout a try.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try next time I see it