Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo NY - what to see and explore?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Beautiful. Now I'm getting excited!

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I emailed the Anchor Bar (a likely destination for some of my hoser friends) and asked for their draught list (or the craft portion thereof), as it does not appear on the website. They were nice enough to get back to me with this:

ELLICOTTVILLE: Blood Orange Hefeweizen
FLYING BISON: Rusty Chain Lager
BIG DITCH: Hayburner IPA
12 GATES: Coffee Porter
RESURGENCE: Sponge Candy Stout
42 NORTH: Walloon Wit Withier
SOUTHERN TIER: Southern Tier IPA
WOODCOCK BROTHERS: Niagara Lager.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Nothing exciting, but that's a big step up from the Genny Cream and Bud Light days of the Anchor.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

True, but serviceable enough. I remember the days not too long ago when the arrival of Southern Tier IPA at the LCBO was a very big deal indeed!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

sprague11 wrote:Nothing exciting, but that's a big step up from the Genny Cream and Bud Light days...
Compare that lineup to the draft options at Wild Wing, Real Sports, Jack Astor's, and other Canadian equivalents to Anchor Bar and it looks pretty damn good to me. Also a reminder that we still have a ways to go here in terms of craft beer reaching the mainstream. I was at Real Sports last weekend and the only serviceable, pseudo-craft options on tap were Boston Lager and Hops & Bolts. Very depressing to see.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

cratez wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Nothing exciting, but that's a big step up from the Genny Cream and Bud Light days...
Compare that lineup to the draft options at Wild Wing, Real Sports, Jack Astor's, and other Canadian equivalents to Anchor Bar and it looks pretty damn good to me. Also a reminder that we still have a ways to go here in terms of craft beer reaching the mainstream. I was at Real Sports last weekend and the only serviceable, pseudo-craft options on tap were Boston Lager and Hops & Bolts. Very depressing to see.
No more Lagunitas at Real Sports? That was the only thing I could drink there the last few times I went (haven't been since 2017).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Quotashun wrote: No more Lagunitas at Real Sports? That was the only thing I could drink there the last few times I went (haven't been since 2017).
Still there, but the last couple times I tried it on tap I wasn't particularly impressed. Found it to be way sweeter than past renditions. I went for a Boston Lager instead.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cratez wrote:
Quotashun wrote: No more Lagunitas at Real Sports? That was the only thing I could drink there the last few times I went (haven't been since 2017).
Still there, but the last couple times I tried it on tap I wasn't particularly impressed. Found it to be way sweeter than past renditions. I went for a Boston Lager instead.
Yeah, agreed. I was there not too long ago too, and drank whatever the seasonal was from Batch, which was quite unremarkable.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Had a family day trip to Niagara Falls NY and Lewiston today including Haystacks at the Silo. Had to check out the Tops in Lewiston. OMG what a selection of US craft! I saw 6 packs of cigar city jai alai ipa, Lawson’s super session 8, got the last can of Lawson’s sip of sunshine and a troegs nugget nectar. Will have to stay over sometime so I can import a decent amount.

I was overwhelmed at the embarrassment of riches all in one place, most of which I’ve only read about and never seen. Some rare Belgian and Trappist including achel, Engelszell and 2011 pannepot. Can’t wait to go back!

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

that's sick

lost nation mosaic is awesome, if you've never had it. def recommend.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

That Tops in Lewiston also has a crowler station. Just underlines how lame the rollout of beer to Ontario grocery stores really is.