Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

portwood wrote:Interesting you bring this up. Being an anal accountant I keep track of my "inventory" in a spreadsheet.
:D I've used a spreadsheet for years for my inventory and other beer purposes. I'm not an accountant. Wait. Does that just make me anal? :o

portwood wrote:Based on what I have in the house, average cost per ml of alcohol:
American $0.13
European $0.15
Ontario $0.18
I created a small list a few years ago comparing cost/mL of several beers, but I did it on a beer-volume basis, not alcohol. Either way, it's an amusing way of evaluating what you are buying. I keep thinking I should do this type of comparison with a wide variety of liquids - tap water, bottled water, soft drinks, juice, milk, gasoline......

portwood wrote: Average untappd score:
American 3.67
European 3.51
Ontario 3.47

Took 3 years into my "beer discovery" but I've now realized - with a few exceptions - its financially foolish to be buying beer from local micro breweries! May have to pull back on my Ontario beer spending.
I rarely, if ever, look at beer reviews beyond comments that people make on this website, and I certainly don't use Untapped. Having said that, I don't read too much in to this. The differences in these overall averages are not huge, and I think there are a lot of things that could affect and skew the results.

As for where you want to direct your beer purchases, there are many factors of course, but you did clarify you meant "financially" based on your analysis. I don't share this feeling, but it is highly personal of course.

Interesting post.

portwood

Post by portwood »

S. St. Jeb wrote: I rarely, if ever, look at beer reviews beyond comments that people make on this website, and I certainly don't use Untapped. Having said that, I don't read too much in to this. The differences in these overall averages are not huge, and I think there are a lot of things that could affect and skew the results.
I use untappd to keep track of what I've tried in the past, and to get an idea of what I might like. The scores I posted are my averages.
and yes, the differences in my scores are small (probably statistically insignificant) BUT it does prove my point: by "buying local" we are essentially paying more (in some cases, a lot more) for similar quality.
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

portwood wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote: I rarely, if ever, look at beer reviews beyond comments that people make on this website, and I certainly don't use Untapped. Having said that, I don't read too much in to this. The differences in these overall averages are not huge, and I think there are a lot of things that could affect and skew the results.
I use untappd to keep track of what I've tried in the past, and to get an idea of what I might like. The scores I posted are my averages.
and yes, the differences in my scores are small (probably statistically insignificant) BUT it does prove my point: by "buying local" we are essentially paying more (in some cases, a lot more) for similar quality.
In re-reading my post, my emphasis on not using Untapped may have given the impression I don't think it's valuable. I didn't mean that. I just meant I don't follow beer reviews too closely.

Thanks for clarifying that the averages were yours. "it does prove my point: by "buying local" we are essentially paying more (in some cases, a lot more) for similar quality." is true for you. May or may not apply to others, but I get your point.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I don't mind paying a bit more to support local brewers I like. For example, Spaten Munich is, what .60 less per can than Side Launch Mountain at my local Loblaws? They are pretty similar beers (not to mention, Spaten comes in a slightly bigger can). But still, I often buy the Mountain, especially if it has a nice recent Brewed-on date.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

If that is how you judge your drinking habits, you live a sad life.

Also I am an accountant. You are the reason I hate the stereotype that is associated with our profession.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

cfrancis wrote:If that is how you judge your drinking habits, you live a sad life.

Also I am an accountant. You are the reason I hate the stereotype that is associated with our profession.
One might also argue that judging strangers on the internet on a Saturday night is also a sign of a rather sad life.

portwood

Post by portwood »

cfrancis wrote:If that is how you judge your drinking habits, you live a sad life.

Just to make sure you're right about me I googled the definition of accountant. Here's what I found: "drives 80 Km on a sunny Friday afternoon to buy 24 beers for $130. His neighbour's stereotype of accountants is confirmed when he tells him about the great $6 IPA and $100 Mezcal he bought last week."

You got me all figured out :lol:
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

darmokandjalad wrote:

One might also argue that judging strangers on the internet on a Saturday night is also a sign of a rather sad life.
Agree with this.

If cfrancis is that sensitive about accountant stereotypes, good thing he isn't a lawyer.

BTW, I'm an engineer. No shortage of jokes there either.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

midlife crisis wrote:I don't mind paying a bit more to support local brewers I like.
Ditto.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Beau's IPA is now available in 473ml cans. I enjoyed it in bottles, but at $5.25 for 600mL that works out to the equivalent of $4.14 for a 473 mL can. The actual 473mL can is sadly still $3.95 so still on the higher end of the price range.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/beau-s ... ipa/575365

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

GtownRandy wrote:Beau's IPA is now available in 473ml cans. I enjoyed it in bottles, but at $5.25 for 600mL that works out to the equivalent of $4.14 for a 473 mL can. The actual 473mL can is sadly still $3.95 so still on the higher end of the price range.

I like that beer, I really do. And that's something I've only said about beaus two or three times before. I've said for years their format is silly, and normal sizes would make me more inclined to have some of their stuff more often. That nbeing said, at that price for an IPA there's just way too many better ones out there to jusify buying it

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

GtownRandy wrote:Beau's IPA is now available in 473ml cans. I enjoyed it in bottles, but at $5.25 for 600mL that works out to the equivalent of $4.14 for a 473 mL can. The actual 473mL can is sadly still $3.95 so still on the higher end of the price range.

Bought a can out of curiosity last week. Drank it right after a bottle of Fairweather's High Grade IPA, which was noticeably better in every category.

I'm sure the Full Time will sell a bunch because it's Beau's, but I honestly don't understand the point when you can get vastly superior Great Lakes and Collective Arts IPAs for less. Hell, I'd probably rate Flying Monkey's Juicy Ass above it too.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

An extra 50-60 cents per tallboy isn't going to cause the Beau's demographic to flinch. They are already acclimated to the mark-up. It'll sell at least as well as any of their other stuff, if not better.

FWIW, I had a couple cans of Full TIme last week. I agree with pretty much everything that has been said about it here: it's pretty good for Beau's, but there are plenty of better options that don't cost as much. Unfortunately, this is the time of year where GLB's IPA releases tend to slow down (there's always a gap between Octopus and Karma Citra) so I might be picking it up once in a while anyway. Sunnyside is ok for what it is, but it's just no substitute for their other Tank 10 IPAs.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

I rather Beau's can Cavalier Bleu. I quite enjoyed that Blueberry IPA.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Does anyone know when the hell the Collective Arts Liquid Arts Fest IPA is finally hitting shelves? Apparently there was a delay, then CA said on social media it would be out this week. It's still not in the system though.

Need this beer! Bought one from the brew shop when I was back home. It's so good.