Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at home:
Great Lakes Bride Of Shucky Oyster Stout
Odd Side Ales Touch Of Red
Odd Side Ales Queen Of Tarts
Bellwoods Raspberry Peach Jelly King

At Ruby Watchco:
Great Lakes Octopus Wants To Fight IPA (can)
Woodhouse Stout (can)

At Craft Beer Market:
Burdock IPA - Citra, Vic Secret & Ella (draft)
Left Field Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Sawdust City 'I Swear Sugar Pants It Was Your Idea' Lactose Brown Ale

If you like the lactose sweetness and cinnamon, this is lovely. Very smooth. Really enjoying it while the rest of the family has ice cream. :)

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Over the past week or so:

Maybee Old Growth ESB (Would drink this all the time if available locally. One of the best Canadian made ESBs I have had in a long time).
Trailway Mood Ring (Really enjoy almost everything hoppy these guys brew)
Grimm Passion Fruit Pop! (Love this series of beers)
Left Field Bang! Bang! (nice, but a step down from Jelly King IMHO)
Trefle Noir Cherno Pivo (Middle of the road BBA stout that I would not bother to revisit)
Bellwoods Runes Motueka and Enigma (solid)
Bellwoods Pineapple Blueberry Jelly King (One of my favorites in the series to date, though I can't really pick out the pineapple or the blueberry, just a general fruitiness).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Over the past few:

Barncat Pilsner-can't get enough of this stuff, the definition of an everyday beer, for me. I've drank 4 or 5 growlers of this over the last few weeks.
Barncat Mood Ring saison-super crushable and refreshing, not as dry as I like for saison though. This beer literally changes colour, unreal.
Barncat Battle Jacket iipa-another juicy hop bomb from these guys, what more do I need to say.....Sorry Bellwoods and/or GL but for me, Barncat is officially the kings of IPA in this province.
Amsterdam space invader-solid stuff from Amsterdam. I bought it purely because of the marketing, and was really pleasantly surprised.
Omnipollo Zodiak-super fresh canning date on it. I feel this is slightly differnert than when I've had it in he past. Creamier/hazy-er/juicier and a bit less bitter, has anyone else noticed, or it just that u havnt had it this fresh before?
Weihenstephaner dunkel-a nice surprise atTBS. delicious as always.
Dunham No Tahoma-really nice dry, slightly funky beer. I'd buy this one somewhat regular basis if I could.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Godspeed Ibushi (draft)
Halo Golden Ratio (draft)
Storm Stayed Red Dawn (draft)
Bellwoods Runes - Enigma & Motueka (draft)

At a friend's house:
Collective Arts Liquid Art Fest IPA

At home:
Great Lakes Meanwhile...Down in Moxee IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I was finally able to snag a couple cans of the collective arts Liquid arts tropical milkshake. I'll say this, it's an absolutely delicious drink...but I wouldn't call it a delicious beer. As I think I've seen someone else mention on here, it's a bit too much juice for me. It's soft and creamy and tasty AF but it left me wanting a "beer". It didn't satisfy the desire for a beer. I have a pretty good palate, and I could pull zero beer characteristics from it. Again, not saying it's bad, but nit what I want in a beer. I've had quite a few milkshake IPA before, but this is another two steps further. I felt the original Bellwoods pineapple one was just beautiful, but even that was creeping towards beery-beverage territory.
I'm not even sure I'll drink the second can that I got straight up. I'm thinking I may add some alcohol to it and make a cocktail.

I immediately followed it up with GL meanwhile down in moxie; and it scratched the itch that I had.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

sofakingdrunk wrote: I was finally able to snag a couple cans of the collective arts Liquid arts tropical milkshake. I'll say this, it's an absolutely delicious drink...but...it's a bit too much juice for me. It's soft and creamy and tasty AF but it left me wanting a "beer". I've had quite a few milkshake IPA before, but this is another two steps further...creeping towards beery-beverage territory.
This was my impression as well. I split the can with a friend and was able to finish my sample, but I probably won't return to this one. Not because it's poorly-made (it isn't); the Milkshake IPA style just isn't my thing.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I was finally able to snag a couple cans of the collective arts Liquid arts tropical milkshake. I'll say this, it's an absolutely delicious drink...but I wouldn't call it a delicious beer.
My feeling too. Might be good for breakfast at the cottage?? :wink:

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I was finally able to snag a couple cans of the collective arts Liquid arts tropical milkshake. I'll say this, it's an absolutely delicious drink...but I wouldn't call it a delicious beer.
My feeling too. Might be good for breakfast at the cottage?? :wink:

Absolutely perfect beer for Hair of the dog, after a long night of drinking.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Ta Plus Meilleure double NEIPA with peach and passion fruit. After five days in Quebec, it's easy for me to say that for overall quality Quebec is still ahead of Ontario, as IMO has been the case since I began regularly sampling beers from both provinces many years ago. The quality in Quebec, however, does generally come with a fairly hefty price tag attached. The beer in question, for example, is $5.50 for a 473ml can.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Bar Hop:
Granite Best Bitter Special (cask)
Crooked Stave Petite Sour - Raspberry (draft)
Indie Alehouse Memento Mori (draft)

At WVRST:
Crooked Stave Origins Burgundy Sour (sample)
Badlands The New Nostalgia (draft)

Over the week at home:
Browar Fortuna Komes Porter Bałtycki
Nickel Brook Pineapple Uber
Bellwoods Pineapple Blueberry Jelly King
BraufactuM Soleya
Bellwoods Jutsu

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Collective Arts Prophets and Nomads - good summery Gose.
Sinha Stout (Lion Stout) - it remains an utter classic.
Founders CBS - it remains a typical coffee, chocolate, maple and bourbon-flavoured RIS. Utterly great.
@ ONLY CAFÉ:
Nickel Brook Über with Soursop and Tangerine
Dieu du Ciel! Aphrodisiacque
In Beerum Veritas

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Northern Maverick Destroyer IIPA - notes of orange peel, white pepper, and a dash of pine. Perhaps it is a little too sweet for the style (almost like a barley wine). Still a very good example of the style.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Godspeed Sora (draft)
Indie Alehouse The Jeffery (draft)
Godspeed Kemuri (draft)
Bellwoods Witchshark Imperial IPA (sample)

At some family gatherings:
St. Mary Axe Canadian Best Bitter
Forked River Flashback Rhubarb Wheat Ale

Over the week at home:
Great Lakes & C'est What? Al's Coastal Collision
Rainhard Rage & Love Dry Hopped Sour
Rainhard DDH IPA w/ Vic Secret & El Dorado
Bellwoods & De La Senne Come What May
Great Lakes Body Dubbel
Lagunitas 12th Of Never Ale

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

East Hamilton Lager

Not meaning any disrespect, but it's not a name that inspires. But I really like this one. It says right on the can "German Style Pilsner". Wondering why they didn't just call it a Pilsner. Has a bitterness that suits me.