Portland, ME

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Portland, ME

Postby sprague11 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Apologies if there's another thread on Portland East, too lazy to search the archives.

Was in this area for some business. Not a ton of beer to bring back due to space requirements but Portland is jumping! Some highlights:

NEIPA is everywhere. Managed to quickly hit a few breweries for some samples, as well as a massive share. A lot of the breweries are concentrated around an industrial park (Foundation, Allagash, Austin Street, Definitive, Battery Steele are all within a 2 minute walk from eachother. Goodfire and Lone Pine share a space toward the downtown. Didn't hit Bissell but Swish was at our share.

Will be heading back there next year (thinking about tacking it on as an extra 2 days or so to my yearly VT trip), hopefully with some actual space in my luggage.

FWIW: despite all the hops I consumed over the day plus I was there Allagash was still the highlight for me (was able to hook up with someone who shared some coolships in exchange for sharing some Motley). Goodfire's Waves was the the tops in terms of NEIPA (which I'm officially tired of for a few weeks).
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
Cass
Beer Superstar

Re: Portland, ME

Postby Cass » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks for posting this up! I'm heading for a vacation to the Maine coast in a week, staying in Kennebunkport.

Have a brewery tour booked for Allagash, and have a Google Map of all the local breweries. Looks like there's lots to check out there!
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Postby El Pinguino » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Allagash is definitely a top visit for me in Portland Maine too.
I skipped Bissell and other hop-heavy spots for it back in May.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Postby sprague11 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Portland has always been a good beer city but things have exploded there recently (One friend remarked it was bordering on oversaturation with all the hazy IPA). I'd still pop in to the 4 or 5 hop factories in the industrial plaza (Definitive had a damn good BBQ food truck) but tour-wise Allagash is the place to hit.

A lot of good coffee in the city too - brought back some beans from Bard and Black Cat.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:43 pm

You don't really mention pubs - did you have a chance to visit any? In 2014 I had an overnight there and managed to get to the King's Head and Novare Res, which were the top two on Beer Advocate at the time. Haven't been back so don't have any current info.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Postby sprague11 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Didn't do any pubs in Portland though Definitive was doing pours. Had some drinks at Barreled Souls in Saco which was really good, as well as the famed Ebeneezers in Lovell

Return to “Local Beer Guides”